The Malik Report

St. James, Khan confirm David Booth try-out

The Free Press's Helene St. James and MLive's Ansar Khan confirm that David Booth will attend the Red Wings' training camp on a pro try-out contract:

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland granted Booth's request for the tryout. He has played the past two seasons in the KHL.

Booth, 32, played nine seasons in the NHL with Florida, which drafted him 53rd overall in 2004, Vancouver and Toronto. He has appeared in 502 games, with 120 goals and 111 assists. He hasn't played in the league since the 2014-15 season with the Maple Leafs (59 games, seven goals, six assists).

As St. James points out, Booth is unlikely to actually make the team unless he the Wings' knocks socks off during training camp:

Booth, the 53rd pick in the 2004 draft, is a long shot to make the Wings. They already have 10 regulars up front returning from last season, and Tyler Bertuzzi is pencilled in to make the Wings after a standout AHL playoffs. Restricted free agent Andreas Athanasiou is yet to be signed, but Holland said there’s been “lots of talk” between the sides. Luke Witkowski, signed in July, is expected to compete for a job. And as of Tuesday, the agent for Thomas Vanek told the Free Press that it is still a possibility that Vanek returns, as the sides remain in talks.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Figaro's avatar

Just a try oot.  No need to get all worked up, everybody.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 08/30/17 at 08:49 PM ET

I really wish Vanek would just go away already, the Wings don’t need someone who regresses the development of their younger players for no other reason then to fight for the very last playoff spot

Posted by bababooey on 08/30/17 at 09:20 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

It’s a typical Kenny move for more depth but I don’t think it’s needed. It also hurts younger players ice time if he just plays in GR. Does it hurt the growth of players like Sadowy or Campbell? Maybe they will never make it but they have more upside than an old vet we don’t really need. I’ll take the young legs.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 08/31/17 at 12:21 AM ET

Martin Frk is excited about Booth. Like when Tatar and Nyquist were excited about Cleary and Bertuzzi and Sammuelsson.

Posted by fatsavage on 08/31/17 at 12:48 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

.....its a PTO. lol.

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/31/17 at 04:32 AM ET

Booth is from Michigan, he’s a shoe in….I joke…kinda.

Posted by Steve1306 on 08/31/17 at 07:04 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

It’s a typical Kenny move for more depth but I don’t think it’s needed.

Well, as much as we’d all love to hate Holland for this, Booth was the one who requested the PTO.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/31/17 at 09:44 AM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I realise it’s only a PTO. My point is “what if it turns into something more”.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 08/31/17 at 12:48 PM ET