The Malik Report

Sovetsky Sport reports that Pavel Datsyuk’s made up his mind regarding future with Red Wings

Updated 2x with Greenstin's comments to Khan and Duff at 3:06 PM: Ugh. Not what I wanted to wake up to:

Sovetsky Sport's Artury Enikeew suggested that Pavel Datsyuk has signed a tentative agreement to play for Ak Bars Kazan for 3 seasons beginning in 2014, and that the contract will be announced after the NHL season ends...

But Yahoo Sports' Dmitry Chesnokov reports that that's inaccurate:

Greenstin did indeed state to Pavel Lysenkov that:

1. Signing such a contract with the Ak Bars is illegal;

2. Datsyuk's made his decision but won't reveal it;

3. He will meet with Datsyuk (and perhaps the Wings?) in Chicago on Saturday.

Update: MLive's Ansar Khan spoke to Greenstin on Friday:

The agent for Pavel Datsyuk said Friday that a report claiming the Detroit Red Wings star has agreed to a contract with a Russian team starting in 2014-15 is false.

“It's all B.S. rumors, you can't believe it,'' Gary Greenstin told MLive.com. “Pavel can't talk to anybody, he's under contract with the Red Wings for one more year. It's stupid rumors, not from me, not from Pavel.''

...

“Nobody is talking to any Russian team. We have rules,'' Greenstin said. “We'll talk with (Red Wings general manager) Kenny Holland after the playoffs. Everything's on hold right now because of the playoffs. We have time with Pavel. We're not in a hurry.''

Asked if Datsyuk has made up his mind, Greenstin said, “We discussed something, but we'll talk more after the playoffs.''

Datsyuk said during training camp that it would be his dream to return home to play in Russia one day, but did not say whether that would be after his current deal expires or later in his career.

Greenstin reiterated that if Datsyuk stays in North America he will play only for the Red Wings.

Update #2: Greenstin spoke to the Windsor Star's Bob Duff, too:

“Pavel can’t talk to anybody,” Greenstin said. “We have rules; he’s under contract with the Red Wings.”

He also pointed out plans to begin contract talks with the Wings once the Stanley Cup playoffs have concluded.

“He has one more year left on contract with Red Wings,” Greenstin said of Datsyuk. “We’ll talk to (Detroit GM) Ken Holland after the playoffs. Now it’s playoff time, all decisions are on hold. We have time with Pavel. We’re not in a hurry (to make a decision). We discussed something but we’ll talk more after the playoffs.”

Greenstin made one guarantee regarding Datsyuk’s hockey future.

“If he stays in North America it will be with Red Wings,” Greenstin said.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Guilherme's avatar

AAaaah

Aaaaa

AAAAAAAAAH

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 05/24/13 at 10:55 AM ET

TKShreve's avatar

Why would the media and/or Datsyuk want to let any air out of the tires with speculation such as this, at a time like this?

WTF?

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 05/24/13 at 10:58 AM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

no way, no, no, no and again no. not going to happen.

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 05/24/13 at 10:59 AM ET

I call BS! Not saying this isn’t happening but smells fishy!

Posted by neffernin on 05/24/13 at 10:59 AM ET

MacPhisto's avatar

Ah TMR, always on alert. Great job as always George.

Anyway, if Datsyuk won’t sign a contract extension this summer or fall, he’s gone; makes no sense to wait if he intends to stay with the organ-I-zation.

Posted by MacPhisto from Hungary on 05/24/13 at 10:59 AM ET

WTF?

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 05/24/13 at 11:58 AM ET

Agreed.  There’s something dubious ‘bout the timing of this.  But the Wings are well-sheltered from this BS. I’m not worried about it affecting their play.  They’re pros.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/24/13 at 11:02 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

You nailed it MacPhisto, so the assist goes to you.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/24/13 at 11:02 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Bullshit

Might even persuade Dats to stay in Detroit, and avoid such bickering places.
I believe he loves his privacy, and he seens to get a lot of it in Detroit

Posted by Zqto on 05/24/13 at 11:05 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Who in Chicago called these ‘papers’ to spread this manure?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/24/13 at 11:07 AM ET

I’m not worried.  Nyquist (at the bar, they call him Nyquil because he lulls people to sleep) sure looks a lot like him, at least offensively.

Posted by zombietroy on 05/24/13 at 11:08 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Superforvard

awesome.

as for Pavel leaving, I’m just not sure what to think.  I’m sure he enjoys playing with his comrades.  maybe when it looked like the Wings were falling off, it made the idea of playing in Russia more tantalizing.  but now?  I don’t see how you leave a team like this.  but of course I can’t possibly understand what it’s like for Pavel.  I’m sure he misses home.  he came to the NHL and dominated, won two Cups.  is another one that important to him?  wouldn’t surprise me if it’s not.  “been there done that, I want to go home” - and I wouldn’t blame him one bit.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/24/13 at 11:10 AM ET

If he has indeed made a decision in he middle of a playoff run that nobody expected the Wings to make, then there’s no way he decided he doesn’t want to stay with the Wings.

Posted by Garth on 05/24/13 at 11:12 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

holy shit now THIS is a highlight video.  awesome music.

Datsyuk is the greasiest.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/24/13 at 11:15 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Are the NHL playoffs ongoing? - yes
Is Pavel Datsyuk in them? - yes
Are people talking about the KHL? - no

We pretty consistently like to take patronizing shots at plenty of things about the way Russians conduct their businesses as they relate to hockey, but there’s fairly good reason for it, especially as it comes to SovSport.

There’s one possibility for a contract signing happening with Datsyuk in this calendar year and that’s not with AK Bars. If he gets into playing next year without an extension, I am entirely positive that Ken Holland will know where he stands with Datsyuk.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/24/13 at 11:15 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

A month ago, Datsyuk told Sport-Express that he did feel Russia tugging on his heartstrings, but he also stated that he is really, really proud of having played for only one team for his entire NHL career, and that doing so is equally important to him.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/24/13 at 11:19 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Russian blogs? We’re having aneurysms over Russian bloggers tweets?

Fear not.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/24/13 at 11:21 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Even if Pav doesn’t resign with the Wings, you can’t say he doesn’t want to play for them…  it would be his desire to return home was stronger than the desire to finish his career in Detroit IMO.
Either way, I’ll be able to say I watched (arguably to some) the best all around talent in the NHL play a bunch of g*damn great hockey for my favorite team.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/24/13 at 11:48 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by zombietroy on 05/24/13 at 12:08 PM ET

?!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/24/13 at 11:49 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I think the big issue here is Gary Greenstin.

Why would Greenstin say anything to anyone about Pavel’s plans while Pavel is in the middle of a playoff run? I don’t know Greenstin, but even the dumbest, most inept person in the world (Edsuck?) knows that saying “I know where your star player is going to play when his current contract is up, but I’m not going to tell you” is going to create a media frenzy and be a huge distraction to his client on the eve of an elimination game.

Unless Pavel gave Greenstin the OK to leak that info (And why would he do that?), Pavel ought to fire him right now and announce he has not made up his mind, regardless of where he has actually decided to play. That would diffuse the speculation and end the media feeding frenzy.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/24/13 at 11:49 AM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Two things I feel pretty confident about:

1) Comrade Blogski’s report is wild speculation and irresponsible journalism.

2) Pasha’s stay in the D is done after his contract is up.

Dude’s daughter is in Russia. He’s got the hardware and the coin - so it’s not about that. As much as he loves Detroit, has anyone ever seen or heard him say anything to suggest that it’s anything more than a “home away from home.” Detroit is a great #2 for him, but still not the motherland.

I think it’s safe to say that the only thing keeping him here is the level of competition, and that’s gotta get tough to explain to your daughter via Skype on Russian Christmas.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/24/13 at 11:53 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

NBC reporting that Greenstin has refuted the rumor that Pavel has signed a contract with a KHL club (because that would be illegal). Greenstin did not refute the statement he allegedly made that Pavel has made up his mind where to play.

I thought one of an agent’s role’s was to shelter and protect their clients from this kind of media BS, not create it themselves?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/24/13 at 11:54 AM ET

perfection's avatar

i’d rather lose the next three games and sign Dats for a 3 year extension than win the cup and lose him after next season. I mean winning rules and has definitely added fuel to my Wings fandom over the years… but I feel more privileged to watch Pav game in and game out than any other athlete on the planet in my lifetime (I was born in 1980). Losing seasons of this privilege would hurt far far worse than being knocked out of the playoffs any random year.

Losing Stevie and Lids were huge as far as our team was concerned and definitely took adjusting to. But losing Pav is different IMO. The entire sport just becomes a lot more BORING, and that’s a nice way of putting it. I hope the KHL implodes over the next year and there’s no longer a decision to be made.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 05/24/13 at 11:57 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Never trust a Russian.

Except for Pavel, of course.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/24/13 at 11:57 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/24/13 at 12:53 PM ET

How much more would Pavel see of his daughter by playing in the KHL? Someone mentioned in a thread a few weeks ago (the last time this came up) that the team he allegedly signed with is thousands of miles away from where the Ex and his daughter reside.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/24/13 at 12:02 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Another possible thought:

Wings really turned it the hell on. I know it seems like a real long time ago, but we spent a good portion of this season kind of floating and underachieving.

Could it be possible that word got out in the locker room? Could this be “win it for Pavel” type motivation?

Wild speculation, but hey, I don’t run a soviet blog so I’m free from the responsibilities of lock tight journalistic integrity.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/24/13 at 12:05 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

A black-ops disinformation campaign orchestrated by persons deep within the league offices designed to create a disruptive atmosphere in the Wings dressing room. Now for the sake of puck daddy, and others who call this teams fan-base paranoid,I will remove my tinfoil hat and go get a double shot of bourbon.

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/24/13 at 12:05 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

This isn’t the work of the NHL, Lil Gary, NBC execs or the Cawks. This is self-inflicted. This is an attributed source and it’s Gary Greenstin, Pavel’s agent.

Seriously, WTF does this guy think he’s doing?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/24/13 at 12:10 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/24/13 at 01:02 PM ET

Probably a bunch. 1) He doesn’t have to play for Ak Bars, and 2) the distance is a whole helluva lot less than Detroit.

I really really want Pavel to stay, but this feels a bit like the Stuart situation. If I were to step back and look at it from a “what would I do” standpoint - there wouldn’t be a second of hesitation.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/24/13 at 12:10 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 05/24/13 at 12:57 PM ET

What? For real? If you have a chance to see your team win the Cup, you take it. We’ve gotten a lot out of Pav and I wouldn’t at all begrudge him for going “home” after his current contract expires. If he were to say he wanted to return to Russian, then ended up coming back to the NHL later with a different team, that might feel kinda shitty. But that’s not what this is.

It will be yet another irreplaceable piece leaving the Wings, and that will be too bad, but I think his motivations are fair and we should feel thankful that as Wings fans he is yet another amazing player that we’ve had the pleasure of watching and rooting for over the last 30 years.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/24/13 at 12:16 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

this has Stan Bowman written all over it…

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 05/24/13 at 12:32 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/24/13 at 12:54 PM ET

An agent has only one role, one objective.$$$$$$$$$$$.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/24/13 at 12:38 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I’m not buying. Funny how the rumor comes on the heels of the third loss for the Hawks.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/24/13 at 12:41 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I find the timing extremely suspicious as well.

And Pavel’s agent royally shat the bed.  I’m sure Pavel would hate if it was HIS agent who fuched shit up in that locker-room amidst “one of the biggest upsets in the history of the game” (as one NBC douche-bucket put it after game 2).  To know that everything was going fine before YOUR agent put YOUR business out at this time.

I can tell you what it strikingly isnt…. Classy.  This lacks so much class it’s disgusting and Pavel is probably one of if not THE classiest guy in the locker-room.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/24/13 at 12:47 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 05/24/13 at 12:57 PM ET

AGREED!

I can’t picture myself being the same type of Wings fan without Pavel on the ice.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 05/24/13 at 12:52 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/24/13 at 01:47 PM ET

This is why I do not believe a single word of it. I call shenanigans.

Never believe everything you read, and, only half of what you see.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/24/13 at 12:53 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The timing on this is Russian. By the end of their regular seasons, most European teams are already publishing rumors, reports and actual confirmations stating where players will play during the following season, and May is the height of Russia’s “silly season” free agent-wise…

But even though Greenstin’s nuts, his comments suggest that he’s not going to play the, “Dangle the, ‘He could go back to Russia and sign with X report every week!’” bait in front of Holland, and that’s actually a good thing.

I read this stuff positively. Datsyuk did tell Sport-Express that as badly as he wanted to return to Russia, he wanted to play for one team for his entire career, too, and now that Greenstin’s saying that he’s not gong to play games with the Wings…That’s another good sign.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/24/13 at 12:56 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Seriously, any attributable North American sources for this tripe???? Anybody put a mic in front of Pavel?

Of course, we all know Pav’s contract is up after next season. We’ve known that for several years.

When this season is over and I see or hear a direct quote from Mr. Holland where he states..” We made Pavel our best offer to resign him, but…........” then I will believe it.

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/24/13 at 01:04 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

I read this stuff positively.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/24/13 at 01:56 PM ET

Me too.

Why would Greenstin announce Datsyuk has made up his mind and then also announce he’s going to Chicago to meet with him this weekend?

In other words, why would Greenstin make a point to say he’s going to Chicago if the ultimate decision was to sign with a KHL team?

Why would he go to Chicago to meet with Datsyuk unless they’re negotiating/planning on signing an extension with the Wings?

I’m usually the most cynical guy in the room, but this is the only thing that makes sense.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 05/24/13 at 01:11 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I don’t believe it.

Wait. Yes I do.  In fact, I’m positive it’s going to happen.  I make shit up all the time. All. The. Time.  But when I wrote this, it was based on quality info from a reliable source.

My speculation that it had anything to do with his linemates or Mike Babcock was wildly off the mark.  But, the source was right on the money. I believed him then and I believe him now.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 05/24/13 at 01:13 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

holy shit now THIS is a highlight video.  awesome music.

Datsyuk is the greasiest.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/24/13 at 12:15 PM ET

What a no-talent hack.  Good thing he’s a hard worker.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 05/24/13 at 01:14 PM ET

1 2 >       Next »