The Malik Report

Something To Chew On

Darren Dreger of TSN was just on the NHL Network and mentioned, as has Bob McKenzie in the past, the Wings would be very interested in Jay Bouwmeester of the Calgary Flames.

He also mentioned the Flames may want one of Detroit'r young goalies and mentoned the names of Petr Mrazek and Jake Paterson.

Bouwmeester has one year left on his contract which pays $6.6M.

Any interest if the Wings have to give up one of those prospects?

added 6:05pm, One thing I forgot to mention, Dregger said there is some thought the Flames may also move Mark Giordano too but did not mention any Detroit interest with him.

Giordano makes $4M as season thru the 2015-16 season according to CapGeek.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

and yandle is not JBo, that’s making a trade to make a trade.

We need some reliable size with enough hockey sense to let our offensive D guys step up in the play.  We need defensive specialists.  Hence, going for DeKeyser.  JBo is a less physical version of ericsson without the point production but without the grit as well.

I’m not all that sold on Yandle, don’t know he’s made our particular group any better.  I’d rather see a veteran warrior in there who’s still got some skill left and is still capable of contributing meaningfully (playing good minutes).

I’m just not sold that we even need a D man as good as our group turned out.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/28/13 at 07:25 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

He’d make vs. he’s made*

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/28/13 at 07:26 PM ET

calquake's avatar

You just can’t win with some people.  Posters scream that Holland hasn’t done anything, but now scream it’s too much to give up.  I guess you really want him to do only what you want and criticize him if he does do something and you don’t like it.  JFC… this place is beginning to sound like a Dive Forum.

Posted by calquake on 03/28/13 at 07:29 PM ET

They’re good players, they can get better. We have too many defensemen AND forwards already.

We don’t have enough top six forwards though.

Isn’t it amazing how people want Holland to make the team better but not to just make a trade for the sake of bringing in a huge contract?

People are complex, huh, HockeyinHD2?

Please re-read what you wrote and think about it.

Of course we want him to make THE RIGHT deal.  What person here has said they want him to make what is, in their eyes, a bad deal?

To think that people don’t care if it’s a good deal or a bad deal is just stupid.

Posted by Garth on 03/28/13 at 07:37 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Just aboot as stupid as saying hehas to do something.

Posted by calquake on 03/28/13 at 07:40 PM ET

Garth
I think the problem is not everyone agrees what would be a good deal and what would be a bad one.

Posted by teldar on 03/28/13 at 07:43 PM ET

Just aboot as stupid as saying hehas to do something.

Do you and HockeyinHD get together have not-paying-attention parties?

Posted by Garth on 03/28/13 at 07:43 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Do you and HockeyinHD get together have not-paying-attention parties?

Awww… gee Garth.  Bite me.

Posted by calquake on 03/28/13 at 07:44 PM ET

I understand that, it’s calquake (among others) who doesn’t.

You’d think it would be simple enough to notice that someone who wants the Wings to get better and doesn’t want to trade for Bouwmeester might just think that Bouwmeester isn’t the answer.

You’d think that it would be simple…but it’s a little too complex for some.

Posted by Garth on 03/28/13 at 07:45 PM ET

Awww… gee Garth.  Bite me.

Ohhhhhh, SNAP!

Posted by Garth on 03/28/13 at 07:46 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Please tell me where I mentioned Bouwmeester.  This has been an ongoing discussion for some time.  You insist on Holland making moves, I prefer to let him do his job because… get this… he’s smarter than you or me.  What a concept.

Posted by calquake on 03/28/13 at 07:49 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

” ... This has been an ongoing discussion for some time.  You insist on Holland making moves, I prefer to let him do his job because… get this… he’s smarter than you or me.  What a concept.”

advantage: calquake.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/28/13 at 07:54 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Oh hell no.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/28/13 at 07:56 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

He’s been doing his job.  He just hasn’t done it very well and this team has been on a steady decline with no sign of turning it around for years now.  Sooner of later, we’re going to have to start demanding more from people and not give them free passes for the success from which we’re many years removed.

And just how does one know how much smarter Holland is than any of us here?

Posted by gt500x on 03/28/13 at 08:16 PM ET

calquake's avatar

And just how does one know how much smarter Holland is than any of us here?

Sorry, I don’t understand.  The Wings have been on such a steady decline that they’ve made the playoffs 21 straight seasons.  If you don’t consider that success than you are a spoiled fan.  Having seen the Dead Things and missing the playoffs for many, many years makes me appreciate what they have done and continue to try and do.  This isn’t fantasy hockey where the rosters are changed on almost a daily basis.  Do I wish they were better?  Of course I do but I won’t trash the coach or GM just because the team isn’t leading the league.

Posted by calquake on 03/28/13 at 08:35 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

I talk about a steady decline and you give me “21 years” of playoff appearances.  How does that counter my point at all?

Posted by gt500x on 03/28/13 at 08:46 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Okay, what is your definition of a steady decline?  We didn’t win the Cup?  We didn’t make it to the Conference Finals?  We didn’t make it to the Semi-finals?  We lost in the 1st Round?  Do you understand how difficult it is to make the playoffs?  Only 16 out of 30 teams make it every year.  Would you be happier if the Wings didn’t make the playoffs at all?

Posted by calquake on 03/28/13 at 09:00 PM ET

Do you understand how difficult it is to make the playoffs?

Do you understand that in arguing against a decline you have defined a decline?

Please tell me where I mentioned Bouwmeester.

The entire discussion thread is about Bouwmeester.  Sorry, you must not have noticed while you and HockeyinHD were having a not-paying-attention-off.

So as long as the team isn’t in last place you have to praise the GM?

What if you think the team could and should be better than it is, but it isn’t better because GM hasn’t done anything to improve the team or to even prepare the team for the huge losses they accrued over the last couple seasons?

When is it OK for question the GM, oh Wise One?  You know, since you’re the one who decides if he’s doing a good job or not…

Posted by Garth on 03/28/13 at 09:32 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by Garth on 03/28/13 at 10:32 PM ET

As opposed to you?  Ha ha.  All of your rants are based on assumption and opinion.  That’s fine but don’t give me this BS you know better.  And I don’t see where I’m praising Holland all that much except to say I’m happy he’s the GM and not you.

Posted by calquake on 03/28/13 at 09:40 PM ET

All of your rants are based on assumption and opinion.

And yours aren’t based on opinion, right?

Posted by Garth on 03/28/13 at 10:01 PM ET

calquake's avatar

All of your rants are based on assumption and opinion.

And yours aren’t based on opinion, right?

Good point.  However I feel that I take in the big picture.  I’d rather the Wings be who they are and have been for the last twenty years rather than win some, suck, win some, suck.  We all want the Wings to be better, I just prefer to let the professionals do their jobs and be a good fan.  Just because I defend Babs and Kenny doesn’t mean I’m praising them.  Garth you’re a great fan, just a little too negative for my tastes.  No hard feelings.

Posted by calquake on 03/28/13 at 10:12 PM ET

We need defensive specialists.

This implies you think the blue lines problems are defensive in nature.  Explain.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/29/13 at 05:37 AM ET