The Malik Report

Something To Chew On

Darren Dreger of TSN was just on the NHL Network and mentioned, as has Bob McKenzie in the past, the Wings would be very interested in Jay Bouwmeester of the Calgary Flames.

He also mentioned the Flames may want one of Detroit'r young goalies and mentoned the names of Petr Mrazek and Jake Paterson.

Bouwmeester has one year left on his contract which pays $6.6M.

Any interest if the Wings have to give up one of those prospects?

added 6:05pm, One thing I forgot to mention, Dregger said there is some thought the Flames may also move Mark Giordano too but did not mention any Detroit interest with him.

Giordano makes $4M as season thru the 2015-16 season according to CapGeek.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Do it. In a heartbeat. we signed that college kid goalie a couple of weeks ago so we have depth at Goal.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/28/13 at 05:56 PM ET

awould's avatar

I’d be ok. Bouwmeester is overpaid but he’s still good. Be interesting to see what he can do on a team that doesn’t suck.

Posted by awould on 03/28/13 at 05:59 PM ET

patterson would be ok, but not mrazek.  and i wonder if jbo is a big part of the reason his teams have sucked.

Posted by akwingsfan on 03/28/13 at 06:02 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I don’t know.  I don’t know that our D can’t get it done.  Bowmeester doesn’t use his big frame.  He’s not all that offensive.

Maybe for Paterson.  I wouldn’t trade Mrazek at all.  He’s a gamer.  Never trade gamers.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/28/13 at 06:02 PM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

Patterson, random pick, Sheahan?

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 03/28/13 at 06:08 PM ET

sure patterson but calgary has to eat some of that rediculous contract

Posted by diesel44 on 03/28/13 at 06:09 PM ET

NO on Giordano, id rather trade for weiss negotiating rights

Posted by diesel44 on 03/28/13 at 06:10 PM ET

Son of Flying Pig's avatar

dont like it one bit, but if Holland insists then it better be Paterson and little else.  now way they throw Riley Sheahan into this move.  dont want to be had by the same guy that goofed the O’Reilly offer sheet and then handed Iginla to the Penguins for a late 1st rounder.

Posted by Son of Flying Pig on 03/28/13 at 06:11 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

I really like our team

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/28/13 at 06:12 PM ET

Paul's avatar

stone.., I think you’ve been stuck in a rut for sometime, here, kick in shins, maybe that will help, ha.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/28/13 at 06:14 PM ET

I would have to agree with everyone. Patterson, not Mrazek.

And throw in Sheahan? Da fuq? Jbo makes crazy money for another year. Tell them the Wings would take the whole salary but they want a second round pick in addition for Patterson.

Posted by teldar on 03/28/13 at 06:18 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Ugh. No. Patterson & a third rounder – begrudgingly.

Posted by SK77 on 03/28/13 at 06:21 PM ET

Is there a reason why this team cannot get enough of soft players who play small and show up only by appointment?  Overpaid anchor, I would rather they give his icetime to DeKeyser, yes I’m dead serious

Posted by bababooey on 03/28/13 at 06:23 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

It’s hard to know how good Jbo can be. He’s always been on shitty teams. That said, two things stand out: his production died in Calgary. That is probably more a reflection on Calgary?  And, two, he’s had one + season his whole career. good grief. is that team, too?

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/28/13 at 06:29 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

I think it’s safe to say that this isn’t going to happen.

Posted by gt500x on 03/28/13 at 06:31 PM ET

Adding Bouwmeester’s $6.6M to the team with the cap dropping by $6M next year?  God no.

Maybe.  If the Wings lose out on DeKeyser and can convince dumb Feaster that Colaiacovo would be better than either of the goalie prospects.

Posted by Garth on 03/28/13 at 06:33 PM ET

I just don’t see the reason to acquire Bouwmeester.  He’d be one of the highest paid players on the team, and he has never even came close to reaching his potential.

Posted by bababooey on 03/28/13 at 06:35 PM ET

Something else to chew on, via Mike Peca

Posted by bababooey on 03/28/13 at 06:37 PM ET

Not to mention that the D has gelled pretty well and is a lot better than I think anyone expected, so why would you want to bring in a new guy there, a guy who would probably expect to be on the top pairing?

Why not try to bring in someone who can score?

Posted by Garth on 03/28/13 at 06:37 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/28/13 at 05:56 PM ET

Did that ever get finalized?  I kept hearing the it was imminent, but never confirmed a done deal.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/28/13 at 06:14 PM ET

If he’s stuck in a rut, what about Holland?

Posted by Hootinani on 03/28/13 at 06:38 PM ET

Pass.  If Detroit could get him for a song, I’d be maybe slightly fine with.  I think Bowmeester was terribly overrated when he went to Calgary, and that’s proven out to be pretty true.  He’s essentially a marginal upgrade on Brad Stuart.

Which would be nice to have, don’t get me wrong, but to give up assets and then have to eat a 6.6 cap number?  Enh.  Not a huge fan.

I’d laugh the idea of trading Mrazek right out of the county, though.  Detroit trades him before they sign Howard and they just gave up 1-2 million bucks a year in leverage.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/28/13 at 06:42 PM ET

Plus, if you trade for Bouwmeester don’t you automatically miss the playoffs?

Posted by Garth on 03/28/13 at 06:44 PM ET

Actually, you are right, never did get that confirmed.

Bouwmeesters 6.6 salary isnt bad if you use compliance buyouts on Colaiacavo(2.5?) and Samuelsson(3+m).
Jay-Bo is at about a point every other game, and has a minus 7… Our “#1” defensemans plus minus(Kronwall) isnt really any better

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/28/13 at 06:50 PM ET

has a minus 7… Our “#1” defensemans plus minus(Kronwall) isnt really any better

I’m not sure how meaningful it is to compare +/-, but since you bring it up, he would immediately be tied for last among Detroit d-men in +/-.

Posted by Garth on 03/28/13 at 07:00 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Bouwmeester for Mrazek straight up would be a joke. The only way I’d do that deal is if they throw in their first round pick. smile

Bouwmeester for Patterson? Maybe. If JayBo didn’t work out, the Wings could buy him out this summer along with Sammy. Afterall, why buy out ColaOnTheVeranda? He’ll end up on IR most of next season anyway.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/28/13 at 07:07 PM ET

hockey rumors & trades!
about an hour ago
The Chicago Blackhawks recently sent multiple scouts to watch the Phoenix Coyotes’ Keith Yandle and Chicago media is reporting that the Blackhawks could look to package Niklas Hjalmarsson with a prospect and draft pick in exchange for Yandle. However it’s well known that the Detroit Red Wings, Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Flyers among others would also like to get their hands on Yandle. Meanwhile, the Blackhawks are also believed to be interested in the Dallas Stars’ Derek Roy, who could fill the role of a second line center and is quickly becoming a hot commodity as the deadline approaches.

if chicago gets yandle and the wings do not I will be pissed, he is what the wings need - stop looking at Jbo - we have five players who will be better than him - ladislov smid would be better. if yandle gets moved, I want the wings to be the team getting him

Posted by diesel44 on 03/28/13 at 07:09 PM ET

Actually, I would say that his +/- is meaningful considering hes playing on a team that has a goal differential of -19… and Detroits differential is +7… sooo…. yeah.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/28/13 at 07:11 PM ET

Jake Patterson and Jake Paterson are two different people,

Jake Paterson is the DRW prospect, just thought I’d mention it because it confused the hell out of me when I found out about the two Jakes in the CHL.

Anyways I wouldn’t mind losing Paterson, but Mrazek is a nonstarter IMO both he and Ironhook should be the only untouchable prospects.

Posted by Pulsar93 on 03/28/13 at 07:16 PM ET

Paul's avatar

My mistake Pulsar, thanks for the heads up and I removed a ‘t’. in the blog post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/28/13 at 07:18 PM ET

Crow's avatar

No to JBo, Yes to Yandle only if DeKeyser decides not to become a member of his dream team.  Mrazk’s development and talent is far ahead of where Howie was during the same stage.  He’s a keeper for sure.  Patterson for Yandle? Yes!

Posted by Crow on 03/28/13 at 07:26 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by

letsmakeit12

on 03/28/13 at 07:11 PM ET

I’m missing the part where JayBo led the league in defensive scoring.

Kindl’s in the top 5 +/-  Is he a stud worth 6.6m?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/28/13 at 07:27 PM ET

Some kid
I meant jbo and a second round pick for patterson

Posted by teldar on 03/28/13 at 07:31 PM ET

I’m missing the part where JayBo led the league in defensive scoring.

Never said he did. but he is putting up good points on a team thats not very good at all. Sure Kronwall is putting up points but has a plus minus in the negatives playing on a much better Detroit team. Its not about comparing Kronwall to Bouwmeester its about showing his value. He would be our 2nd best defenseman for sure.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/28/13 at 07:38 PM ET

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/28/13 at 07:11 PM ET

Fine, but if you want to make a comparison, then JBo’s +/- is 24 points below Jakub Kindl.  Do you want to pay nearly $7M for that?

And Bouwmeester also has the worst +/- on his team.

He would be our 2nd best defenseman for sure.

Maybe he would…maybe, but he’s still not worth his astronomical salary and cap hit.  I don’t think there’s an argument that can be made that he’s worth ANY top prospect PLUS that kind of money.

Posted by Garth on 03/28/13 at 07:47 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

if I was a Wings fan I would rather have Giordano

Posted by Evilpens on 03/28/13 at 07:47 PM ET

The cap hit is high. But i dont see many UFA options for next year tat would be better.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/28/13 at 07:53 PM ET

But i dont see many UFA options for next year tat would be better.

Then try to make a trade for someone who doesn’t have a terrible contract.

Posted by Garth on 03/28/13 at 07:57 PM ET

Then try to make a trade for someone who doesn’t have a terrible contract.

Yandle is the better option- but kenny wont give up what it takes to get him. Bouwmeester would be easier to get.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/28/13 at 07:59 PM ET

Bouwmeester would be easier to get.

There’s a reason Bouwmeester would be easier to get.

Posted by Garth on 03/28/13 at 08:00 PM ET

Isn’t it enough to wait on DeKeyser? Our D hasn’t been as bad this year as we thought it would. They’re good players, they can get better. We have too many defensemen AND forwards already.

We don’t need him.