The Malik Report

Some late-April traditions never change at Joe Louis Arena

As noted in the game-day update thread, the Red Wings' playoff streak may be in jeopardy, but Fox Sports Arizona's Todd Walsh reports that some April traditions remain entrenched at Joe Louis Arena:

No news as to whether the visitors' locker room is being painted, but I'm sure other "inconveniences" will pop up for the Wings' opponents over the next four days.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Figaro's avatar

Let’s hope some people get fined for tossing some much needed octopi tonight.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 04/22/13 at 12:36 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I’d prefer the playoff mentality be shown on the ice moreso that kids games off the ice.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/22/13 at 12:52 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/22/13 at 12:52 PM ET

Totally.  This seems like a better way to motivate the Coyotes than anything else.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/22/13 at 12:54 PM ET

Keep the Wings hot water off until they score 4 goals in one game.

Posted by lancer on 04/22/13 at 01:04 PM ET

This is something the Red Wings actually do on a regular basis?  Honestly, I have so much respect for how the Red Wings do things that this is a little surprising to me.  Or is this quite common in the NHL?  If so, I would take that comment back. Maybe this is something all teams do?

I hate to say it, but it also doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence in their mental state —if they think this kind of thing is needed to get some kind of edge, then they may be worse off than I thought.

I’m not a Wing fan, but truthfully, the playoffs won’t seem the same without them, so I absolutely want to see them there.  I hope this sort of tactic is not a bad sign….

Posted by Lex Talionis on 04/22/13 at 01:28 PM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

We saw how well taking the ping ping table worked last year. Focus on the game!

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 04/22/13 at 01:31 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

It’s not exactly Scotty Bowman deeming that the visitors’ locker room need a new coat of paint before every playoff round, but it’s predictable.

That, and in all honesty, Joe Louis Arena has aged and aged hard over its 34 years, and it’s a clunky building. Al Sobotka and the facility’s crew have their work cut out for them trying to keep it up and running. When the Wings held their summer development camp downtown, I’d watch rink workers repairing at least a couple dozen seats every morning—and a couple hundred after every concert—because they’re prone to breaking.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/22/13 at 01:49 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

As a Hawkeye, we always think fondly of the days when Hayden Fry would deem it necessary to give the visitor’s locker room at Kinnick a fresh coat of Pink paint on the Friday night before a big game.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 04/22/13 at 01:54 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Bowman’s calling for a fresh coat of paint in the visitors dressing room during the playoffs was a stroke of genius.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/22/13 at 02:15 PM ET