The Malik Report

So do we call this the, ‘Don’t Go There, Girlfriend’ list?

Via the Sporting News’s Craig Custance, who says that the following memo is being circulated amongst the NHL’s general managers:

A relatively weak unrestricted free-agent class means general managers may have to get more creative this summer in how they spend money. One option is signing a restricted free agent and the new changes in compensation, obtained by Sporting News, may make that option more attractive.

“Find a team that is near the cap and you can really (mess) with them,” one NHL source said.

The numbers and compensation are tied to the average league salary, which is $2.3 million.

2011 restricted free agent compensation

An offer with a $1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation

$1,034,249—$1,567,043: Third-round pick

$1,567,043—$3,134,055
: Second-round pick

$3,134,088—$4,701,131
: First and third-round pick

$4,701,131—$6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick

$6,268,175—$7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third

$7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Zach Parise is worth a 1st 2nd and 3rd rounder for a gauranteed player capable of almost 100 pnts..

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/25/11 at 04:22 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Dany Heatley will score 70 goals.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/25/11 at 04:29 PM ET

awould's avatar

Keith Yandle : $3,134,088—$4,701,131: First and third-round pick
Doughty/Weber: $6,268,175—$7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third

Wings should go for Yandle.

Posted by awould on 05/25/11 at 04:37 PM ET

Stay away from Zach smile

Posted by Devils In The Details on 05/25/11 at 04:41 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

what Rfa is in that 7.85 bracket? I guess Crosby/Ovie woulda been.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 05/25/11 at 04:45 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

I agree, he’s put up aloooot of points in NJ. If you can do that in Jersey, you’re def gonna do even better here.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 05/25/11 at 04:47 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Defense first.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/25/11 at 04:50 PM ET

awould's avatar

Parise is sweet. But the Wings need D.

Posted by awould on 05/25/11 at 04:50 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Defense first.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 on 05/25/11 at 03:50 PM ET

+19

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/25/11 at 05:02 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Would somebody write an article that tells those of us who don’t get why this is such a weak class this summer?

I’m thinking about last summer and I’m seeing next summer and I’ve yet to believe that either are superior/deeper than this one.

Are these conclusions being drawn this merely on the basis of “superstar” UFA’s being on the open market?

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 05/25/11 at 05:13 PM ET

Wouldn’t mind seeing an attempt for Marc-Andre Gragnani for $1,567,043—$3,134,055 and a Second-round pick

Posted by craig from vancouver on 05/25/11 at 05:30 PM ET

What were the compensations like before, then? Have the “prices” gone down?

And I have to assume that I was wrong in believing compensation was determined by the CBA? How is it determined, and by whom? Seems weird that this would change on the fly.

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 05/25/11 at 05:33 PM ET

Yeah, that would definitely address the defensive needs we have.

Seriously, we were SECOND in goals per game and 23rd in goals against.

If Ken Holland even whispers the name Zach Parise, Mr Illitch should fire him IMMEDIATELY.

Stay away from Zach
Defense first.
But the Wings need D.

+19(x3)

Posted by Garth on 05/25/11 at 06:14 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Dany Heatley will score 70 goals.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 05/25/11 at 03:29 PM ET

*thump*

DAMNIT CUT THAT OUT!

Yeah, that would definitely address the defensive needs we have.

I’m not saying go for it, because I don’t want the Wings to sign Parise instead of a big defenseman or two, but quite a few of the Wings’ defensive problems last year were the result of poor backchecking.

Parise brings a ton of that.  He’s like Darren Helm with finish.

Still - sign Parise = bad idea.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/25/11 at 06:21 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Still - sign Parise = bad idea.

Sign Shea Weber = good idea.

From a later KK thread:

They’re joined by a growing tally of perennial money losers, such as the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Nashville Predators, the Florida Panthers and the team that is on the verge of moving to Winnipeg, the Atlanta Thrashers.

If Weber has signed a new deal with NSH by the July 1 deadline, tender him an offer sheet.

NSH, apparently, cannot pay him.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/25/11 at 06:34 PM ET

Parise’s also been the most-underpaid player in the league for years and just watched a guy who plays the same position worse bank $10mm/y from the Devils for the next decade.

I assume anyone signing him to an offer-sheet is going to have to do so in this bracket $6,268,175—$7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third. Maybe even a few dollars into the next bracket, if he really wants to make up for lost money. I, for one, would be a lot more comfortable about ROI paying Parise $8mm than I would paying Vinnie or Kovalchuk $10mm or Staal $8.5mm. Other than an in-shape Ovechkin, there might not be another winger who brings more to his team more than Parise.

The only players of Parise’s caliber in the $4,701,131—$6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick range either have bogus cap hits (of the type that will be attacked in the next CBA) or signed their contracts before their breakout years (Perry). 16 of the 24 forwards in the salary range North of that one are inarguably worse than Parise.

Posted by steviesteve on 05/25/11 at 06:42 PM ET

He’s like Darren Helm with finish.

You’re right, and I wasn’t suggesting that he’s not good defensively, I’m just saying that as of now we have four defensemen (I’m going to go ahead and assume Lidstrom sticks around) and massively overpaying for a forward (which is what we’d have to do to get Parise) just means that we’ll have to go bargain basement to fill out the defense AND the rest of the forwards, and you’re absolutely not going to be improving team defense by having to split put Lidstrom, Stu and Kronner on separate pairings with the other young/cheap defensemen, giving us three OK pairings instead of even one great one.

Posted by Garth on 05/25/11 at 06:45 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Sticking with the Parise topic, but killing the talk about him going to Detroit (since it won’t happen).  I’d recommend pretty much any team throwing an offer sheet at him.

Jersey will have just about $10M in cap space to play with, but they also have six roster spots to fill (they have only five D-men under contract and the guys they do have are not exactly awe-inspiring).

They also need a goaltender to back up Brodeur and likely really need to start looking hard for his replacement, meaning they may have to pay more.

Forcing the Devils to match an offer sheet for Parise (even a fairly reasonable one) likely means that you’re also preventing them from signing enough talent to seriously compete.

Worst case scenario, the Devils don’t match and your team is stuck with Zach Parise.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/25/11 at 06:56 PM ET

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/25/11 at 05:56 PM ET

I’d agree with that for any team that has the cap space. The chances of a team drafting the second-best winger in the league with one of their next two 1st round picks is roughly nil. Hell, the chances of drafting a player like him with the next four 1st round picks is still nil, though that’s a lot of future complimentary depth to give up for one guy.

Posted by steviesteve on 05/25/11 at 07:01 PM ET

The Devils will file for arbitration on Parise to protect against an offer sheet.

Secondly, I love Parise but to call him a guaranteed 100 point player is a stretch considering he has never done. I don’t buy the myth the the Devils have held back the production of top forwards. Go find me a forward who left the Devils after establishing himself and then goes on to consistently put up better numbers than his time there.

Posted by jkrdevil on 05/25/11 at 07:31 PM ET

awould's avatar

That’s easy…. Scott Gomez!

Oh, you said better? I thought you said “sucked big time as soon as he left”.

Posted by awould on 05/25/11 at 07:34 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Good point, I had overlooked that.

What happens when the arbitrator awards him enough to cripple them for filling out their depth?

Based on the thought that there is a very real chance of this happening, do they file for arbitration or do they keep him RFA knowing that they’ll at least get compensation if he signs an offer sheet they won’t match?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/25/11 at 07:41 PM ET

Not that I disagree with you re: Parise, but there are a bunch of guys like that.

Guerin. Rolston, etc.

Posted by steviesteve on 05/25/11 at 07:42 PM ET

Mike Rupp quadrupled his per-year goal production vs. his time in New Jersey after leaving for Pittsburgh, would be a more recent example.

Posted by steviesteve on 05/25/11 at 07:45 PM ET