The Malik Report

So then there’s the ripping Datsyuk phenomenon.

This really upsets me. As noted early this morning, Pavel Datsyuk was asked about Russia's anti-homosexuality laws--and the comments of Russian pole-vaulter Yelena Isinbaeva--in front of a packed crowd in Moscow, while accepting the Kharlamov Trophy from Sovetsky Sport, and he replied, "I'm [Eastern] Orthodox; I think that says it all" (and the Eastern Orthodox religion as about as accepting of the LGBT community as other religions are).

I knew that Datsyuk would get flak for his remarks, but honestly speaking, while engaging in a two-hour Q and A session with almost fifty fans and a dozen media members, leaning upon his religious beliefs is as close to a "no comment" as he could've got.

Especially given the fact that he and his Russian Olympic orientation camp teammates are meeting Vladimir Putin on Friday, he was in a situation where a "no comment" would have damned him to hockey hell and would've absolutely infuriated those watching him in what was an incredibly detailed and personal setting.

So yes, he's deservedly getting ripped in the media, but what Datsyuk says in front of what was all but literally a firing squad and what he says on this side of the Atlantic are two different things. He was absolutely *#$%@& over had he said anything other than, "I agree completely," and instead, he went with, "I'm gonna lean on the religion card."

I don't agree with his comments, obviously, but whether Datsyuk agrees with them is also a good question to ask when he's not in an incredibly charged situation. At this point, context is everything, and in a situation where Datsyuk could've literally lost an Olympic spot had he not nodded his head, he nodded his head.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3

Primis's avatar

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/22/13 at 06:11 PM ET

So I assume we’ll hear from you in Sochi, bezukov?  You will be there leading and organizing protests, no?  Speaking out on behalf of these important civil liberties?

Posted by Primis on 08/22/13 at 06:16 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Primis on 08/22/13 at 06:16 PM ET

It’s as easy for you to say that as it is for me to say anything I’ve said here.  So are you gonna buy my ticket?

I do what I can, when, and where I can.  I’m satisfied that I put my money where my mouth is.  I campaign, I’m frank about my opinions, and I speak up for what I believe.  If that makes me abrasive sometimes, I can live with it.  I stick my neck out to work for the changes in society that I want to see, and I won’t lose any sleep wondering it that’s true.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/22/13 at 06:30 PM ET

Funny how many posters I’ve never seen here before are arguing on this thread.

The one person in all this that should be ashamed is the journalist that asked Pav the question, putting him in a no-win situation, politicizing a proud moment for a rare talent and wonderful person. I am so tired of the PC police, and journalists especially, politicizing and sexualizing everything. The question should never have been asked.

I can understand both sides of the conflict however - wanting to protect children from men parading down the streets in buttless chaps or promoting perversion to children - but also an adult’s right to live the lifestyle of their choice* in the privacy of their own home without the threat of imprisonment or worse.

*Yes, homosexual conduct is a choice. Sex is a choice. I can choose to have sex with a man, a woman, a farm animal, or choose not to have sex at all. You hear all the time about married men with children leaving their families to live the gay lifestyle and people coming out of that lifestyle and marrying a member of the opposite sex.

As for Pav, I respect his right to disagree with the homosexual lifestyle on religious or moral grounds - it doesn’t mean he hates anyone or wants to see them beaten or incarcerated. Tolerance does not have to equal acceptance nor does disagreeing with one person’s point of view make them a bigot. A bigot is “a person who is utterly intolerant of ANY differing creed, belief, or opinion.”

I think Primis said it best of Putin and the law - it’s all about power and control.

I respect Pav for standing up for his beliefs. I disrespect the loathsome journalist that put him in this position. I say to the true Pavel Datsyuk fans: wear your Datsyuk jerseys to show your support of this extraordinary man.

Posted by IMOrthodox13 on 08/22/13 at 06:34 PM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

Datsyuk gave a noncommittal answer to a loaded question.  If he said he opposed the law, he’d be attacked by the Putin-loyal press in his home country and if he said he supported the laws, he’d be attacked by the North American press.  He gave the only answer he could.  He never said anything bigoted.  And you know what, Datsyuk’s a hockey player, he’s under no obligation to take up any cause.

Along with that, It’s going to be funny the next couple days to see a lot of the same members of the hockey press who attacked Tim Thomas for stating an opinion, attack Datsyuk for giving a noncommittal answer when asked his opinion.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 08/22/13 at 06:37 PM ET

FFS Bev, first off, marriage should be a state decision to begin with, not a federal government mandate. Being gay isn’t illegal in the US, no one’s hands get cut off for coming out in the US. So what’s more important? Getting our shit together, printing less money, and trying to get a handle on our out of control government spending, and really out of control government to begin with (just look at the NSA)

Or federally mandating gay marriage when it’s already legal in some states to begin with?

That’s the problem with people like you, you put the cart before the horse and selfish social issues are more important than the overall prosperity of the nation and the people in it.

Government should be shrunk majorly and let’s get back to giving the states power over their own communities. That’s why the founding father’s believed in limited government

Posted by realmk on 08/22/13 at 07:03 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Do you remember when the plantation owners said slavery was a state issue?  Me too.

Wrong.

Besides, ever heard of anti-sodomy laws?  DOMA?  Plenty of discriminatory laws have been directed at the LGBT community in our living memory.  Whistling Dixie doesn’t make it go away.

I said you think fiscal policy is more important than the equal civil rights of our citizens.  You just confirmed that I am correct.  I think that’s reprehensible.  What’s the disagreement besides you kicking because I called you on it?

No one should have to move to another state just to get a damned marriage license.

People like me eh?  That about says it all.

Posted by realmk on 08/22/13 at 07:03 PM ET

Again, remember when we had a civil war because some states thought that some people were entitled to keep other people as property?  Yeah that didn’t work out.  “Confederacy” already costs us dearly.  Why would we do that again?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/22/13 at 07:44 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

So yes, he’s deservedly getting ripped in the media,

Datsyuk deserves getting ripped on because he follows the dictates of his religion?

Wow, George, do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

Would it be okay to rip someone who was of a secular bent, and was following the specific dictates of his chosen philosophy / worldview on this particular issue? If not, please explain to me the difference.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 08/22/13 at 08:18 PM ET

Spare me the sob song please. It’s 2013, not 1950 anymore, gays are pretty damn accepted in the US, and please, spare me the civil liberties bull shit, like I said, people can easily sleep with their own gender in the US and not get attacked for it.

And then there’s groups like GLAAD who are obviously so gay agenda focused that they critique movie studios for the amount of gay people in their films. Disney gets an F btw, I think someone forgot to mention to GLAAD that Disney generally makes kids movies, but hey there’s no agenda there, just accept and cheer on the movement! Which is so much more important than fixing the mess this country currently is.

Posted by realmk on 08/22/13 at 08:18 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I’m sure if you looked hard enough, you’d find someone telling poor black families to relax, because it was 1895, not 1850 anymore; and that they should spare everyone the civil liberties bullshit.

Thanks for the oldie but goodie, but I’ve heard that tune before.

Posted by realmk on 08/22/13 at 08:18 PM ET

I guess I should congratulate you on taking this long to show your hand on your real feelings towards LGTB people.  I honestly didn’t expect you to say something that foul.

Homosexuality is a form of love.  Why is it indecent to show children that its perfectly normal for two people of the same gender to love each other?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/22/13 at 11:52 PM ET

Bez you’re an idiot plain and simple and again the point went whoosh right over your head, I support people’s right to sleep with whoever they want and not be judged for it. That doesn’t mean I have to support the political agenda of the movement however where every single thing, needs to be all inclusive and feature gay characters just to meet some imaginary quota of representation.

3% of the population is gay, you see more and more gay centric shows on tv, be it Glee, or Rupauls Drag race. Pretending that most of culture doesn’t accept them as it is now, is just flat out dishonest. There’s an agenda there, you know it, I know it. Let’s not kid ourselves.

Posted by realmk on 08/23/13 at 07:15 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Usually the person who is losing the argument is the first to throw stones you know.

I don’t think I’ve ever met a LGBT person who cares about “every single thing” being all inclusive or “imaginary quotas.”  They just want to enjoy the same privileges and rights as everyone else.  You’ve already admitted in this discussion that although you don’t care what people do in private, but you care a lot if gay people express themselves out in the open.

Imagine if someone told you that you could be straight, but you had to do it behind closed doors, or that your relationship with your girl/boyfriend, wife/husband, was too indecent to be seen by children.  Imagine then if someone told you that they had heard enough about quotas and equal representation, or that fiscal policy was more important than laws that discriminate against you?

Which brings me to my next point.  Live with the consequences of your thinking.  Admit that you don’t care that your fellow citizens are treat unjustly on a regular basis, or change your thinking.  Stop trying to have it both ways because its inconsistent.  You stand for equality or you don’t.

Posted by realmk on 08/23/13 at 07:15 AM ET

I’m not going to tell you that things haven’t improved.  Of course they have.  But we got this far because people fought for progress.  That fight won’t end until being gay is as normal and as accepted as apple pie.

Who cares if there is an agenda?  Why do conservatives speak in hushed tones when they use this word?  You guys have an agenda too.  There’s nothing wrong about that.  It’s not a secret.  It’s not a conspiracy.  How stupid is it to care about that?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/23/13 at 09:14 AM ET

And who exactly hasn’t accepted it? Putin? Who gives a crap about him. It is up to people in Russia to fight for their rights.
In US, it is pretty accepted. You’re always going to get your racists and homophobes. Unfortunately, those people will always be around.
Yet, what is not accepted anymore is to have an opinion based on your religious beliefs or any opinion for that matter if it isn’t popular at the moment. And by religious beliefs I mean people who truly are religious and not hiding behind it to spew hate.
Which is not the case with Datsyuk, if we are still talking about Datsyuk.

Posted by George0211 on 08/23/13 at 09:24 AM ET

You hit the nail on the head George, the PC crowd are some of the most hypocritical people you’ll ever meet. They get giddy at the chance to attack religion, especially Christianity, citing how hateful and bigoted they must be. Yet in the same breath are outraged at gay culture being forced upon everyone else. It’s not that people aren’t accepting of their lifestyle choice, they would prefer just not to be beaten over the head with it over and over. But apparently that’s racist or whatever, or somehow equates to slavery.

I often wonder if they use slavery having existed to excuse 13% of the population to commit upwards of 85% of the violent crimes in the US, you know, because slavery, so bad behavior and a lack of personal responsibility is ok.

I mean it’s pretty obvious when people who aren’t religious in the slightest can see it.

Posted by realmk on 08/23/13 at 10:50 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by George0211 on 08/23/13 at 09:24 AM ET

Posted by realmk on 08/23/13 at 10:50 AM ET

Oh why don’t you two go play the world’s saddest song on the world’s smallest violin.  I have to warn you though, it takes a lot to make me cry.

Your ideas are outdated.  Get over it.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/23/13 at 12:41 PM ET

Your ideas are outdated.  Get over it.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/23/13 at 12:41 PM ET

Yes freedom of speech and freedom of religion are outdated ideas.
Good one.

Posted by George0211 on 08/23/13 at 12:42 PM ET

The Constitution is outdated too remember, and that pesky 2nd amendment right. TURN IN YOUR GUNS MR. and MRS. AMERICA! And it’s only freedom of speech if it’s a “progressive” view point, otherwise you’re just a racist or bigot or whatever the buzzword of the week it is for liberals to deflect any sort of actual discussion.

Posted by realmk on 08/23/13 at 01:29 PM ET