The Malik Report

Sipple: Pavel Datsyuk’s lawsuit against local businessperson is a reluctantly-filed one

Yesterday, the Detroit News's Mike Martindale reported that Pavel Datsyuk's suing a local businessperson who's been selling memorabilia with Datsyuk's likeness on them for some time now, and today, the Detroit Free Press's George Sipple spoke to Datsyuk's lawyer, who wants people to know that the lawsuit is not a, "Find someone who's may or may not be violating the concept of intellectual property and sue the pants off of them" one:

“Lawyers have been involved in efforts to try to amicably resolve this matter since the summer of 2012,” said Datsyuk’s attorney, Mahesh Nayak. “If you can believe it, we have given efforts to that degree to amicably resolve it since that time and have been obviously unsuccessful in getting there.”

Datsyuk wears the No. 13 for the Red Wings, which use a red and white color scheme on their hockey jerseys.

A hearing is scheduled for Wednesday before Oakland Circuit Judge Martha D. Anderson. The suit is filed against Pasha LLC, Pasha Sportwear and Terrance Sullivan.

Nayak said Datsyuk’s nickname “Pasha” and the number 13 have been used, “among other things, like his image on a jersey with his name ... on and off.” The products also use a red and white color scheme.

“A temporary restraining order was entered Friday, which prohibits in the interim, infringement as has been alleged in the complaint,” Nayak said. “It is our hope and desire to bring this to a quick resolution. We don’t wish for it to go on any longer than necessary.”

The temporary restraining order was issued last week against Pasha LLC, Pasha Sportwear and Sullivan.

“The suggestion that (Datsyuk) is somehow affiliated with this Pasha LLC got to a point where we couldn’t amicably resolve it,” Nayak said. “The only way to deal with it, unfortunately, would be proceeding with this lawsuit.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

edicius's avatar

I honestly don’t blame Dats for filing this because up until today, I had thought that Pasha Sportwear was officially licensed by Pavel. That’s the kind of thing these suits are meant for (unlike Apple suing some restaurant in Germany that had an Apple in their logo that looked nothing like Apple Computers’ logo).

Posted by edicius from New Jersey on 02/05/13 at 04:21 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by edicius on 02/05/13 at 03:21 PM ET

Me too!  Pretty ballsy to represent themselves like that, I thought it was his brand.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/05/13 at 05:24 PM ET

Crater's avatar

I was also under the assumption that the facebook account the clothing was Datsyuk’s. It had over 260,000 likes on facebook. The official Datsyuk facebook only has like 15,000 so far. I’ve since unfollowed the fake on and followed the real Datsyuk page.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 02/05/13 at 06:14 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

My experience exactly. I made the switch over last night. I had been following the “fake” one for some time and it had always presented itself as though it was either Datsyuk or somebody who had Pavel’s permission to run that account.  I had never purchased anything, but until I went back and say that it had been updated to “THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL DATSYUK PAGE.” I was none the wiser.

I may be remembering wrong, but if this whole thing started last summer, then the guy in question deserves everything he gets here. I believe he was still trying to sell his own merchandise off that Facebook page as late as November.

Then again, I could be wrong.

The guy is in the wrong anyway for pretending to be Datsyuk and trying to profit off of that without permission. If I’m remembering correctly and he continued to do it even after he was told to stop, then he can get fuched.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/05/13 at 06:22 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I have a “moves like Datsyuk” shirt and I would never have bought it if I didn’t think it was approved by Pavel.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 02/05/13 at 07:11 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Likewise.  Well, my wife bought the shirts for us, but still.  We’re huge fans of Datsyuk and we both feel terrible to have fallen for this.

I found it a bit odd that Datsyuk would sign off on shirts that were that self-promoting but figured “I’ve got the moves like Datsyuk” might be quirky enough he agreed to it.  It’s not like they said, “I’m the best forward in the world bitches!” or anything.

Anyhow, guy ran a good scam.  We sure fell for it.  I wholeheartedly support Datsyuk in rectifying this.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 02/05/13 at 10:39 PM ET