The Malik Report

Sign Filppula?

In a paid subscription article, Craig Custance of ESPN had this to say about Valtteri Filppula.

Regardless of the frustrations he causes Red Wings fans at times, if Filppula goes to the open market, he'll get paid. No doubt about it. There aren't many centers hitting the market, and even fewer in his age range (29). Keep in mind that he's represented by the same agency (Acme World Sports) that got Ville Leino a six-year, $27 million contract from the Sabres in free agency.

This certainly hasn't been a contract year for Filppula, but he's just one year removed from a 23-goal, 66-point season. Considering the lackluster free-agent class, the Red Wings' cap room and even the possibility of Datsyuk leaving down the road, I think Ken Holland finds a way to get this deal done. He has to.

Agree or disagree?

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

Dakkster's avatar

This won’t happen, but… sign and trade?

Posted by Dakkster from Southern Sweden on 04/26/13 at 11:34 AM ET

peiz11's avatar

I fear he is still going to be asking too much, don’t think he’s anywhere near worth $5+...having said that, as frustrating as he can be I feel like we will still miss his skill depending on what we do to replace it. The more I see of the last few games the more I don’t want to lose him.

Posted by peiz11 from Minneapolis on 04/26/13 at 11:35 AM ET

Crater's avatar

Keep in mind that he’s represented by the same agency (Acme World Sports) that got Ville Leino a six-year, $27 million contract from the Sabres in free agency.

Val “RoadRunner” Filppula and Ville(Read:Wylie) “Coyote” Leino.  Had to do it.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 04/26/13 at 11:36 AM ET

d ca's avatar

sign Filppula

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*unless he agrees to take a 3.95M cap hit

plenty of players will be available for trade and will hit the market due to buyouts.

Posted by d ca on 04/26/13 at 11:39 AM ET

I think the Wings should let Val walk and sign Kristi Yamaguchi.  Surely she can enter the zone and pirouette better than Flipper.

Posted by tcnorthstars on 04/26/13 at 11:43 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

I don’t like it, but I think this is how it’s gonna be.  Flip will be a Wing, and he’ll be a Wing for 5 mill a year.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/26/13 at 11:45 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Sign Filppula?

Anything less than 4? Okay. I’d rather them do this though:

This won’t happen, but… sign and trade?

Posted by Dakkster from Southern Sweden on 04/26/13 at 12:34 PM ET

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/26/13 at 11:52 AM ET

OnlyWings's avatar

I think you are thinking like KH will be thinking and you are right!

Hope it is somewhere south of $5M but I think he will resign.

Posted by OnlyWings on 04/26/13 at 12:01 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Andersson and NyQuick are locks for next year’s roster, and maybe Tatar.  The Wings value experience and believe Fil is better defensively than Hudler was.  The next group of forwards won’t be “seasoned” for a couple of years.

Sammy should be dismissed, Bert given a chance for his remaining year if healthy, Helm I hope comes back and the Wings have always counted on Abdelkader as a building block.  Emmerton and Miller and Eaves have played valuable roles but do we keep ALL three?

I don’t know how many that adds up to but I believe they would still prefer to keep Fil if for a small raise.  It is entirely probable that some other team will significantly over pay for him and Ken will part with him.

That was a long post about nothing.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/26/13 at 12:01 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I think part of this could hinge on where they think Helm will be.  If Helm can’t come back into form, they will need the versatility at center that Filppula can provide.  Plus, the Wings value forwards that don’t need a manual in their own zone, and Filppula has had that pretty much from the get go.  My only real problem with Filppula is that they keep trying to make him be someone he is not, and he doesn’t like to hit.  But I’d gladly keep him for the right price.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/26/13 at 12:21 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

That was a long post about nothing.
Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/26/13 at 01:01 PM ET

LOL  Loved it though

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/26/13 at 12:23 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

For $5M he can take a walk.
KH is loyal to a fault and paying Fil what they’re asking is just dumb.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/26/13 at 12:24 PM ET

third line centers aren’t worth $5 million in a cap world, and fil’s production doesn’t say second line center.

Posted by syndrome on 04/26/13 at 12:25 PM ET

ChowYunCat's avatar

At the very least we need to keep Emmerton to eat up PK minutes and save the forwards for actual offense.

Posted by ChowYunCat on 04/26/13 at 12:27 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

If Filppula were 6 and 2 in the shootout… Oh wait.

Let him go. He can bring some life to a dead team like the miracle in Calgary with Hudler.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/26/13 at 12:32 PM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

Fil does alot of the little things right he just doesn’t score much and probably never will.  Reliable on D. Undersized but speedy.  See how his performance is in the playoffs with the Mule.  If they start clicking I’d say a max offer of 4 mil a year for 4-5 years.  Inconsistancy is what kills that 5 mil a year plan at least for the Wings (or so I hope).  Maby find someone big and nasty that knows what theyre doing on D.  I feel like the East teams will take advantage of Brunner and Fil (Franzen to an extent).  Bertuzzi returning will shake things up.  How many more years does he have left? Will he just be to slow to keep up with the younger guys on the team now?  If our PP is rolling teams won’t touch our players.  If these small speedy forwards aren’t scoring on the PP why not cross check, elbow, and rough up the wings every night?  Do you think Tootoo will be around to fight Lucic when Lucic slashes Hank?  Decisions Decisions.  I kinda sorta think i guess we’re headed in the direction of the Habs? Good goaltending,Big D,Speedy skilled forwards.  Phaneuff orCHara at least once a week. Tampa’s roster is basically all guys 6 foot + and 190lbs +. I love our current Dmen for a reason I can’t quite put my finger on.  Maby it’s the unknown potential of the group.  No Nick’s among them but would you take Lebda or Lilja over any of the current group?  Jim’s here to stay.  Lashoff for Quincey is the only change that I could see being argued but I don’t know the details Q’s contract.  Fuch.

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 04/26/13 at 12:35 PM ET

Via yahoo fantasy playoff pool ...

The Sleepers - After a 66-point career season, Valtteri Filppula is having a hell of a time getting things going this year. Still, in his last five postseasons he has 46 points in 73 games (0.63 points per game) and in every year other than last year, his points-per-game in the playoffs exceeded his points-per-game in the season.

Fil has always played well with Franzen on his wing, and Franzen has always played well with Fil as his center.  I wonder why Babs didn’t try it sooner, and then when he did try him on Fil’s line, Franzen was the center.

Posted by jkm2011 on 04/26/13 at 12:42 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/26/13 at 01:01 PM ET

The Wings believe it because it’s true.  Fil can be a checking forward, Hudler never could.

I’d offer Fil $4m and make it abundantly-clear “Your production has not improved substantially since last contract, therefore your raise will not be substantial”.  Say what you will about Fil’s agents, I don’t think Fil’s a dumb guy though and I think he really, really would like to stay in DET at this point especially if it maybe looks like THIS is going to be DET’s “low point” with the youth infusion.  If the Wings offer him $4m and make the situation clear, I don’t know if he’d try chasing $5m/yr to go play in some hole like PHX, CBS, NAS, FLA, etc…  I think he does want to win and I don’t think he’ll get that anyplace that might offer him the extra $1m/yr.

Then again maybe he’s entering Franzen Mode for the playoffs in which case he’ll earn and deserve more, and all this talk will be pointless.  Weirder things have happened I guess.  Abdelkader would have been a 20-goal guy this year, folks…

Posted by Primis on 04/26/13 at 12:47 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

The reason Fil is so frustrating is because when he is off, he’s off, but when his game is on his talent pushes the boundaries of the NHL’s upper echelon players, dare I say elite players

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/26/13 at 12:49 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

If Filppula were 6 and 2 in the shootout… Oh wait.
Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/26/13 at 01:32 PM ET

Awesome, we hadn’t heard that one today yet!

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/26/13 at 12:51 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

That was a long post about nothing.
Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/26/13 at 01:01 PM ET

Loved it though

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/26/13 at 01:23 PM ET

It is the attempt to work off the nerves while waiting 30 hours for the finale.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/26/13 at 12:56 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/26/13 at 01:01 PM ET

Sorry forgot to include this in with the above.

Yes, all 3.  No reservations at all.  These 3 are not the dead weight on the team.  That’s found in Cleary and Bert, and Fil if he simply won’t accept $4m.

Miller in particular is still very integral to the team IMHO, he does so, so, so many little things that almost nobody else does.  As a fan do you ever feel dread seeing Drew on the ice like you do with Cleary or Tootoo?  No.  You don’t.  He doesn’t generally have “bad games”, and he rarely has “bad shifts”.  That going to be valuable on a team with younger guys still assimilating in.

And we’ve seen Eaves’ upside now, and we have to remember the hell he’s been through and that he’s still maybe trying to “get back” to 100% in some ways.  I like his skating and his wrist shot in the bottom six.

Emmerton, I like.  He makes mistakes, he also reminds me in style a bit of watching Jamie Langenbrunner play when he was coming up from the farm for the Stars.  Emmerton is not subtle.  He’s in-your-face (even maybe when he shouldn’t be), which the Wings don’t have a lot of.  And for a kid that was supposed to be a bust, he still works his butt off to get his time.

Keep all 3 though, for one more year at least.  We all know the injury bug will strike, so even if say Emmerton is in the press box at first he’ll get his chances still.  You don’t want to marry yourself to say Anderssson and then have him just slump horribly with no good alternatives.  I don’t know that guys like Sheahan or Ferraro would be ready quite next season, in a pinch.

Posted by Primis on 04/26/13 at 12:59 PM ET

He’s not good enough to be a top six centre.
He doesn’t shoot enough to be a top six scorer.
We already too many bottom six forwards.

Please don’t re-sign him.

Please.  He addresses zero needs that Detroit has.

Posted by Garth on 04/26/13 at 01:00 PM ET

Probably not, but Tatar probably is, and if you keep all three of these guys then there’s no room for Tatar.

I would love to keep all three of those guys but I can’t see how it happens.

Posted by Garth on 04/26/13 at 01:09 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Please.  He addresses zero needs that Detroit has.

Yeah. Who needs a #2 centerman??

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/26/13 at 01:11 PM ET

Who needs a #2 centerman??

Yeah, why overlook the fact that he continually shows he’s not a #2 centre?

Posted by Garth on 04/26/13 at 01:13 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

The Wings need a #2 center, but they have Filppula instead.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/26/13 at 01:13 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

I say sign him for sure.

But ...
at no more than $4mil/year for 5 years(?)

WITH incentives for producing.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/26/13 at 01:15 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/26/13 at 01:15 PM ET

The Wings need a #2 center, but they have Filppula instead.

Exactly.

Posted by Garth on 04/26/13 at 01:15 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

The Wings need a #2 center, but they have Filppula instead.

And that’s why I said he’s so frustrating. He has the potential to easily be a #2, but just doesn’t get there

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/26/13 at 01:18 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I would love to keep all three of those guys but I can’t see how it happens.

Posted by Garth on 04/26/13 at 02:09 PM ET

Tatar was ready this year IMHO.  He’s also not a C though.  Miller is naturally a C, as is Emmerton.  For all the C depth the Wings have in young guys, most of them aren’t ready yet.  That’s why I used Andersson in my example.

Posted by Primis on 04/26/13 at 01:18 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I NOW Consider Valtteri Filppula A Hall of Famer.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/26/13 at 01:25 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Ville Leino a six-year, $27 million contract

what?!

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/26/13 at 01:27 PM ET

He’s also not a C though.

But Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Helm, Abdelkader and Andersson are.

That’s five guys who can play centre.  And Franzen can, if need be.  And one of Emmerton or Miller, which makes seven centres.  I know it’s important to have centres, but having centres just to have centres doesn’t make a lot of sense, especially when some of those centres will end up playing on the wing and, as we’ve seen this season, it’s nice to have wingers who are actually wingers, rather than ending up with a line of three two-way centres who are going to spend all night in the offensive zone passing the puck back and forth because nobody wants to shoot.

Not to mention that keeping them means that you’ve likely got Miller, Andersson, Nyquist, Eaves, Tootoo, Emmerton and Tatar all fighting to play in the bottom six, which is ridiculous.

Posted by Garth on 04/26/13 at 01:30 PM ET

Nobody mention Leino!  We don’t want Holland getting ideas if Buffalo buys him out.

Posted by maltby18 on 04/26/13 at 01:35 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

It is the attempt to work off the nerves while waiting 30 hours for the finale.
Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/26/13 at 01:56 PM ET

I’m pickin’ up what you’re puttin’ down

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/26/13 at 01:38 PM ET

The Wings also have Jarnkrok and Sheahan as natural centers, but only Sheahan is the big and skilled centerman the Wings have coveted for a long time.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/26/13 at 01:38 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

“sign and trade” scares me.  what if nobody wants him, then we’re stuck with him!

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/26/13 at 01:38 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Odds are 50/50 right now Andersson is better than Sheahan will ever be.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/26/13 at 01:55 PM ET