The Malik Report

Sigh…Bertuzzi legal news

Red Wings forward Todd Bertuzzi’s legal issues remain part of his baggage, so, per the CBC’s Michael Drapak...

Lawyers for Todd Bertuzzi and Orca Bay, the company that owns the Vancouver Canucks, have lost an appeal to keep secret the details of an agreement that shares costs between them should they lose a $38 million lawsuit brought against them by Steve Moore.

Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, learned of the agreement earlier this year and won a decision to have it released to him, but not for public disclosure.

Justice Paul Perell, of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, upheld that decision, writing “since the structure of the settlement agreement has already been disclosed, the non-disclosure of the details of the proportional sharing is more harmful than the complete disclosure”.

Continued, and as I keep saying, I with that Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, would cut this, “Let’s sue everyone for half a billion dollars!” strategy and instead take a significant chunk of Bertuzzi’s career earnings, a significant settlement from the league and Canucks and simply let Steve Moore move on with his life. Moore’s a brilliant, articulate and thoughtful young man and he’s been forced to remain a victim for the better part of a decade, and he deserves to get his paycheck and no longer have to live as, “The guy whose neck Bertuzzi broke.”

And in seriously bizarre legal news, i’m not even touching the Free Press’s story about the gentleman who mailed body parts to Canadian political party offices being a Fedorov fan. That’s just f***ed up...

Update: Via RedWingsFeed, the Toronto Star’s Rick Westhead confirms the Bertuzzi news.

Update #2: the Canadian Press has more if you’re interested.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Part of Moore’s lawyer suing the Canucks and the league as well as Bertuzzi is part of what we’ve been dealing with for the last few years and what we continue to try and eliminate:

There is and has been a portion of responsibility within ALL member teams of the NHL that there is an “unwritten code” which allows for and even encourages the kind of horrible behavior and tragic mistakes that happened on the day Moore was injured.

For all of the ways I’ve said Bertuzzi has changed and has proven that with his play, I admit that the concept of the “secret settlement” where the two parties agreed to a way to share blame is disappointing. the way that they tried to argue that this is essentially none of Moore’s business is a bit asinine as well.

Bertuzzi will have to pay. Hopefully this will all be over soon.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/05/12 at 03:56 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Yes. I hate to see this hanging over Bert when the new season begins. Wish they’d settle.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/05/12 at 04:19 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

this whole post just totally grossed me out. Thanks George.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 06/05/12 at 04:25 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I get too emotional about this Bert stuff as I lived in Vancouver and was at that game wearing a Bert #44 jersey. (Don’t often wear a Non Wing Jersey!!)  All I can say is that Crawford is an slime bag and liar for his part in this!

I too do wish this would end soon, for Bert and all involved.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/05/12 at 04:52 PM ET

jimathor's avatar

You know, I’ve swung in every direction about this case, from Moore’s side, to ‘Tuzzi’s, now I just think the whole damn thing is pathetic.

I know it caused an incredibly serious thing to happen to Moore and that’s sad and I can understand why he would wish to be compensated for this (discounting the fact he’s in for a greater payday than he would ever have received if reliant on a careers worth of AHL-level talent). And don’t even get me started on Crawford or the Orca Bay handling of the situation.

BUT, really, it’s ‘Tuzzi I feel sorry for, he seems to be getting shafted in every direction. It’s clear he’s blossomed as a player within the Wings organisation and I wonder how good he would’ve been without this lawsuit hanging over him for the majority of his career.

This ones going to go and go until he hangs his skates up and then they’ll accept a deal, knowing that ‘Tuzzi went through his entire career overshadowed. These stories only appear in the off-season, I believe, to remind everyone and upset/unsettle Tuzzi for the next season he intends to play.

Posted by jimathor from The land of Sir Humblepatch of Bumblehound on 06/05/12 at 09:33 PM ET

Yeah, poor guy ended someone’s career and has to go through so much!

Posted by Garth on 06/06/12 at 10:55 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Yeah, poor guy ended someone’s career and has to go through so much!

The problem I have is the involvement of Crawford and Burke for sending Bert out to start with as the the Moore/Naslund incident happened in the previous game.

Bert initiated the the hit to Moore and there was a pile of a number of players on top of Moore.  When did the injury occur?  Again I am upset Burke and Crawford get off with nothing. Burke is in Toronto and Crawford is unemployed taking head on TSN, sort of punishment I guess!  Burke running down from press box to the dressing room between the 2nd and 3rd periods, Yep!  Crawford talking to Bert before he sent him out, Yep!

Bert should be punished but the weasels got away!  As I said I was at the game, much different than watching replays.

Just get it resolved and done with!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/06/12 at 12:52 PM ET