The Malik Report

Should Bertuzzi Play In Game 2?

added 5:15pm,

Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press on possible game 2 changes...

Coach Mike Babcock didn’t sound like he was planning to make any changes as the Detroit Red Wings look to even their first-round series.

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Yes,  Mentally I think he’s exactly what the Wings need.  I think he’d help our Vets engage more.  He’s probably like a coach on the ice.

Our gap was ridiculous after the first.  It was the firs tthing I noticed when we started and we’re lookin’ good.  Then our forwards started cheating and the D kept trying the stretch pass.  Once we stopped playing honest and started cheating the game got away from us.

This team can handle Anaheim everyday and twice on Sunday… if they put in the COMMITMENT TO SYSTEM.  5 man unit, up and down the ice, keep the feet moving WHEN YOU DONT HAVE THE PUCK to give options to the puck carrier.  That shit drives me fuching nuts when I start seeing that.  Usually as soon as I see that I know it’s gonna be a stinker rest of the way through.

PLAY HONEST

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/01/13 at 03:22 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Now that our “Winning Streak” is over (Who washed their underwear!?!?!?) I say sure.  I completely understood Bab’s “If it ain’t broke” approach, but now, let’s see how those old legs hold up.

Sit Cleary. (but keep his Kidney in the line-up. It’s our top scorer).

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/01/13 at 03:37 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Would anyone be angry if Filppula were benched for a game?  I’d love it personally. We aren’t coached by Torts tho. Cleary should be on thin ice too. What grade does Cleary get this season?  He played every game. He was healthy in that regard. Reminds me of when the big E went to the NYR. He played everygame or close but he wasn’t close to the Lindros that Lindros was.

Posted by DAN M on 05/01/13 at 03:59 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Sometimes I wonder if behind closed doors players get annual, quarterly reviews by mgt. You know like how real people in the real world are subjected to?  The ones that are like are they meeting expectations, somewhat meeting expectations, not meeting expectations, exceeding expectations or greatly exceeding expectations ? Quincey, Kyle - NOT meeting expectations. Dekeyser, Dan - exceeding expectations for example. Where does Cleary fit in that model?  Brunner?

Posted by DAN M on 05/01/13 at 04:07 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

“The Penguins are the most physical team in the Eastern Conference, hard to play against, with good speed. It’s incredible how hard everyone plays. If you are not willing to stand up…it is tough on you.

That’s the response when asked how the Islanders can beat the Penguins.  That’s exactly what the Ducks did to us last night and we weren’t willing to “stand up” when they started doing it.  That’s what I meant by being more physical in your own zone.  That’s also why I think Bert should go back in.  He “stands up”, no matter what.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/01/13 at 04:07 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

If you’re subbing either Cleary or Filps with Bert, you sorta have to keep Fil on the ice because he’s fairly competent at Face-offs.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/01/13 at 04:10 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

You have a point.  I guess my strategy would involve splitting D and Z up. Or waking a snoozing Darren Helm off the couch.

Posted by DAN M on 05/01/13 at 04:12 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I can’t imagine many Wings fans are with you in a strategy they puts Helm’s further career (and bis ability to live a pain free life) at risk in favor of sending a message to Valteri Filpulla on a year when we are not winning the cup anyway.  But, hey, what’s logic got to do with it.

Sitting cleary… That I can get behind.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/01/13 at 04:23 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Yea I was kidding about Helm. Do you believe any player, coach or mgt believes “we are not winning the cup anyway” this year?  Not trying to be a jerk just wondering.

Posted by DAN M on 05/01/13 at 04:28 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

I sure as hell haven’t ruled out winning The Cup yet.  Are we favored to? Heck no, but if Captain Hank can find his Conn Smythe Pants and Jimmy earns that fancy new contract of his, we’ve got a shot.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/01/13 at 04:31 PM ET

A reminder why Fairy is a piece of shit.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/01/13 at 05:07 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Bingo.  I couldn’t believe all the attempts at home run passes (on both sides) in last night’s game.  Looked like the Wing were trying to get lucky, especially in the 3rd, instead of making the smart play.  It just ended up leading to a lot of turnovers in the neutral zone.

As for Bert, I’d put him in for Cleary in a millisecond.  But now that he “scored” a goal, it’ll never happen.  Chances are if Bert gets in, it’ll be for Nyquist.  Cleary is an untouchable on this team for some reason.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/01/13 at 05:08 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I think it’s clear Holland doesn’t think they’re winning the cup or he’d have been more aggressive at the deadline.  He said a couple weeks before that if they were a playoff team they’d be buyers.  Obviously the des were not there but I think he would have been more aggressive if he thought the chance was legit.

I also think the players who have been on a cup winner are aware of what it takes to be a cup winner and they know this team isn’t nearly as good as the 08 team.  Does that mean pack it up and go home?  No, of course not.  These Wings are at least as good as last year’s devils.  If they get some breaks (Chicago implodes, or they get a couple four goal games on Crawford- which is entirely possible) like the Devil’s did last year (Pitt and Philly’s playoffs last year were so odd), or like the ducks did in ‘06 (so many wings injuries) AND Howard stands on his head for three of the four series…  Yeah, they’ve got a chance to sneak in and be a very weak, very lucky cup finalist.  But   I don’t think any of then necessarily expect that, nor should they.  It’s going to take a lot of scratching and clawing for 20-something games straight and I e see. No evidence this team has that sort of intensity.  Four games and four series are completely different beasts.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/01/13 at 05:24 PM ET

very simple, detroit needs to play every game like its their last.  Can’t say that about last night.

Posted by neffernin on 05/01/13 at 05:54 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Well no changes huh? OK, can uncle Mike atleast get them some damned Gatorade or something? Because the first period had some speed and performance on the ice.  The 2nd period started and within the first 90 seconds I commented to my dad(who was watching with me at the time) “what team is this”. They looked like ass and played like it. Not one single ounce of injury. And Mule was just coasting around in the zone, as pucks would run right past him. He looked like he couldnt wait to get off the ice for shift changes. No gas in the tank whatsoever. That game was more like 2-0(i dont count the empty netter), and the goal we did score was luck. They HAVE to go back to Detroyet with a split.

Another note, its clear Jimmy cant stop goals to his right(blocker side), so he needs to address that. With faceoffs to his right, the team should stack in a different manner.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/01/13 at 06:11 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Does anyone hate that delay of game call?  You can kick a goal in and it will count if its not an intentional kicking motion. There is a gray area there and there should be with delay of game too. Can’t stand when penalties occur at the end of a period and the pp unit gets an intermission and fresh ice to finish the pp. I don’t know how that could possibley change though.  Soccer style bonus time until the penalty is over come to mind. I know that’s pretty radical, though.  Said to myself before the game if Selanne’s a factor, I’ll puke. I don’t understand what Quincey has done to be always be in there thus always making Colaiacovo, Lashoff, and White out. Lashoff to me is a guy who plays every shift like his last. That’s how Mr. Quincey used to play.  like in the 2007 playoffs. That’s who I thought we were getting last year.  If our pp was top ranked with Carlo sitting out then that would make sense to me. Quincey gets quality pp time. 1 pp assist all year. 3 points.  I just don’t get why he’s in there.  He appears moody, unfocused and lazy to me. I think getting Quincey back was terrible like getting Ty Conklin back was terrible. Conks didn’t cost a 1st rounder tho.

Posted by DAN M on 05/01/13 at 06:49 PM ET

There is a gray area there and there should be with delay of game too.

Are you suggesting that there’s a gray area regarding Kindl’s penatly in Game 1, because in my mind that’s a textbook example of they they brought the rule in.

Posted by Garth on 05/01/13 at 10:07 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

No I’m just referring to the delay of game penalty in general.  What made that textbook in your opinion?

Posted by DAN M on 05/01/13 at 10:12 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

yes, surely Kindl MEANT to take a penalty.

since that rule was instituted, it’s ALWAYS an accident.  there is no gray area.  no player is going to do it INTENTIONALLY and put his team on the PK.

but if you eliminate the rule, then they will do it intentionally.

it’s a catch-22.  you KNOW you’re penalizing a guy for an accident - EVERY TIME.  but you have to do it to eliminate the intentional acts.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 11:10 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Bert would be quite an asset if this playoff game goes to a shootout. ; )

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/02/13 at 04:15 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

As far as Kindl, it was a rookie mistake - a mental error. He reacted instead of calmly acting. He doesn’t have Lidstrom’s smarts. Give him time. He intentionally flipped the puck errantly, but obviously did not want it to go over the glass. It was carelessness and he’ll learn from it.

Garth’s right. This is why they brought the rule in.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/02/13 at 04:17 PM ET