The Malik Report

Sheahan With A Guilty Plea

from Peter J. Wallner of Mlive,

Detroit Red Wings prospect Riley Sheahan pleaded guilty today to the super drunk offense of operating a vehicle with a blood-alcohol content of .17 or more.

Charges of displaying or using false identification and driving the wrong way on Ottawa Avenue were dismissed.

Sheahan, who plays for the Grand Rapids Griffins, was in Grand Rapids District Court on Thursday, Dec. 13, before Judge Jeanine N. LaVille.

According to a clerk at the 61st district court, Sheahan had to pay a $1,325 fine be today and agreed to complete 49 hours on a work crew, attend a victim impact class and serve 12 months of probation.

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

cowboycoffee's avatar

it’s really hard to read this with Captain Idiot, Tim Thomas, staring at me.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 12/13/12 at 03:37 PM ET

...Sheahan had to pay a $1,325 fine be today and agreed to complete 49 hours on a work crew, attend a victim impact class and serve 12 months of probation.

cRUEL aND uNUSUAL pUNISHMENT.

That’s easy compared to having a “session” with one Mickey Redmond.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 12/13/12 at 04:30 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

He’s lucky he got to skip on providing false information to police, minor in posession by means of consumption and the moving violations. My buddies DUI cost him about $1k too and he did pull anywhere near the shit Sheahan did.  Lucky kid, pays to know people.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/13/12 at 04:58 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The false information thing was probably just being leveraged to get him to take a plea. The dash cam video doesn’t appear that Sheahan intentionally misled cops (any farther than he intentionally put Smith’s ID where he should expect cops would look).

While, depending on the circumstances, you actually can be found guilty in cases where you should do a better job of identifying yourself and you just let the other person think what they already think about your identity, it’s a court case to be had and a pain in the ass for what’s probably a very low payout in the end.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/13/12 at 05:15 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

For those who are interested:

Today I was able to watch Calle Järnkrok live in action in a game between Brynas IF and Lulea Hockey in Vienna during the Red Bull Salute Tournament.

I can say he is a beast technically and speed wise, good stick handling and very good puck carrying . Positioning was ok (made some assignment mistakes and also collided with a line mate because he was looking somewhere else). D was good.

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 12/13/12 at 05:17 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

When they ask you for your identification and you present them with a government identification card whether or not it’s a licence, temps, or ID card, if it’s not yours it’s giving false information.

He took the plea for the same reasons everyone else does, you want to get your privilages and you want the most lenient sentence possible when there’s such incriminating evidence of your guilt.

Don’t think it was a big ploy by the prosecutor to state a law he broke during the traffic stop, it was just a fact.  His lawyer probably did the leveraging saving the prosecutor time to go to court.

Just the same we can do with traffic citations.  If you don’t want the points on your license and you go down to your hearing instead of mailing it in, you can talk to the prosecutor before hand and a)ask if the officer has shown up (the only witness to your crime) if not, you can ask for a dismissal which they tend to do.  Or b) ask to plea it down to non-moving violation and no points with payment of original fine as the only recourse.  Both ways saves the prosecutor time and headache and the state still gets it’s money.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/13/12 at 06:22 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I agree with you and think that Sheahan is absolutely guilty of the crime with which he was initially charged about providing false ID.

But from the looks of what happened, Sheahan didn’t so much provide them with the ID as he allowed them to find his wallet with Smith’s ID in the spot where a police officer would presume to look for the identifying document. In the one scenario, he’s actively committing fraud. In the other, he’s passively doing so by not correcting the arresting officer who grabbed his wallet and made the assumption.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/13/12 at 06:50 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’m saying it’s illegal for me to carry around your ID. 1st degree misdomeanor if you do not have a valid reason of posession.  I think for a while there there was talk of making it a felony in the global fight on terrorism.

inconsequential either way, we both agree.  Just clarifying.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/13/12 at 07:21 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

I’m saying it’s illegal for me to carry around your ID. 1st degree misdemeanor if you do not have a valid reason of possession.  I think for a while there was talk of making it a felony in the global fight on terrorism.

In Sheahan’s instance, it was during the course of an arrest, but outside that, this whole concept is pretty scary. What’s next; barcodes tattooed onto our wrists? It’s just another instance of the soft fascism that has taken hold. What do you mean I have to produce my papers? What papers? What happened to my right to privacy?

Sorry to go political, but the fact that we talk about a police state like it is normal and expected, I find it to be pretty scary.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 12/14/12 at 08:41 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

believe me SnLO I’m RIGHT THERE with you.  Hockey keeps me sane.  Blows my mind the parallels people can’t seem to see here in America with a number of other governments.  Whole other story.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/14/12 at 12:45 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

I hope they take him to the morgue to show him examples   of poor judgement used by the victims there. And to show how lucky he was not hurting himself or others.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 12/14/12 at 09:24 PM ET