The Malik Report

Shea Butter punches Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg into the boards, face-first

Update from Paul, Weber fined $2500, health of Zetterberg came in to play on the decision.

Also note original post of this blog was 11:02pm on 4/11/12.

Updated 4x with a little Swedish stuff at 2:54 AM: Nashville Predators defenseman Shea Weber gave Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg quite the punch and introduction to the end boards after being boarded by Z:

Update: Here’s NBC Sports’ Jeremy Roenick going ape about the hit…

Breaking sports news video. MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL highlights and more.

And the reactions from both teams, via MLive’s Ansar Khan, should not surprise you:

“Zetterberg hit him in the head first,’’ Trotz said. “It wasn’t much there. I mean, I was watching the scrum right after that with (Todd) Bertuzzi and (Paul) Gaustad and Bertuzzi comes in with a big-time haymaker.

“I watched the first the one, I just think Zetterberg was getting tired at the end and knew Webs was there and the game was over.’‘

Asked what led to the sparks, Weber said, “It’s playoffs.’‘

Does he think he’ll be disciplined by the NHL?

“I don’t know,’’ Weber said. “He hit me from behind. So we’ll see. I don’t know.’‘

Zetterberg did not address the media. Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said he was “180 feet away’’ and didn’t get a good look at it and didn’t see it on video.

Update #2: Stolen from the Tennessean’s Joshua Cooper, who likely provided the Weber/Trotz quotes:

TSn’s Bob McKenzie has the following to say about the hit:

At this point, there has been no mention to NSH about disciplinary hearing for Shea Weber pushing Zetterberg’s head into boards/glass.
...
I would be shocked if Weber is suspended. Whether we like it or not, and many don’t, outcome or result of hit usually trumps intent.
...
Weber’s vicious first punch was glancing blow, turnbuckle move looked worse but wasn’t as forceful. Worse part for me: time of game. Over.
...
But Weber-Zetterberg will be reviewed but I suspect Gaustad’s hack on Datsyuk at same time will be reviewed too. Review may not = hearing.
...
If there’s going to be disciplinary hearing tomorrow, I would suggest it’s likely to be VAN’s Byron Bitz for boarding LAK’s Kyle Clifford.

Update #2: Via RedWingsFeed, ESPN’s Craig Custance also offers the following:

Zetterberg hit Weber in the back moments before the retaliation from the Predators franchise defenseman, but Weber deflected the question when asked if that’s what set him off.

“I don’t know,” he said. “You guys watched it.”

He said the physical play is something to be expected in this series between two rivals.

“Both teams aren’t going to back down,” Weber said. “It’s going to be a long series.”( Now the question becomes will he be around to play for the entire thing? The hit would probably garner a suspension during the regular season, but during the recent GM meetings in March, Shanahan indicated that the postseason might be different.

“The standard of what is illegal or legal doesn’t change ... when you suspend a player during the regular season, you’re suspending him over 82 games,” Shanahan said at the time. “[In the playoffs], you’re looking at things in seven-game clumps. It’s a seven-game season each series.”

The Predators are already missing Hal Gill who missed the game with a lower body injury, making Shanahan’s decision with Weber even more critical. If Zetterberg wasn’t injured, that helps Weber’s case. Zetterberg wasn’t made available to the media after the game.

Update #3: If you’re keeping score at home, Nicklas Lidstrom told Expressen’s Gunnar Nordstrom that Weber’s hit was a dangerous one, but he suggested that Zetterberg was okay, and the team was hoping that he won’t turn up concussed this morning.

Update #4: Here’s one more angle from the CBC. You can see how Gaustad started giving Datsyuk one and then two-handers when time expired, which might be just as worrisome as Weber’s hit. Bertuzzi’s “haymaker” involved retaliating for Gaustad’s attempts to injure Datsyuk.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

TeamDub's avatar

could you even begin to imagine what the outcome would have been had it been Crosby being face-planted into the glass??

Of course Cindy would have dropped to the ice like he was shot in the face with a cannon, so that might factor in.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 04/12/12 at 03:21 PM ET

May the chiropractor in #44 come out to play in game 2. I’m absolutely disgusted by this.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 04/12/12 at 03:25 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I hope someone runs Weber in game 2. Not to hurt him persay, but someone needs to hit him hard otherwise what is to keep him from doing this again?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/12/12 at 03:28 PM ET

“Weber, let us introduce you to our lil’ friend”

Posted by Red Winger from work on 04/12/12 at 03:32 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by Alzy from Innisfail, Alberta, Canada on 04/12/12 at 04:51 AM ET

Sorry George I can understand your viewpoint, but I agree with Alzy. I didn’t feel this way until the $2,500 slap on the wrist. But now…....

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/12/12 at 03:37 PM ET

wedge56's avatar

Not since Claude Liemieux, and every day of Pronger’s life, have I wanted to see karma work the way it’s supposed to more than I want to see it work on Weber in game #2.

It would be even better if it was embarrassing, too.  Perhaps a photo of him picking up a transvestite canine hooker?

Perhaps, his girlfriend publicly leaves him because she is pretty sure his penis is an “innie.”

Perhaps, a swollen hemorrhoid bursts and he is out the rest of the series due to blood loss?

Posted by wedge56 on 04/12/12 at 03:39 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Babcock is gonna have to break up Zetterberg’s line now and put Beruzzi with Hank and Datsyuk. Bertuzzi is the only guy on the team who can/will stick up for these guys so he needs to be on the ice when they are. Detroit needs to get tougher next year. Holland’s weak spot is his lack of realizing this team needs some tough guys. It’s probably due to him being an ex-goalie. Feckin’ goalies!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/12/12 at 03:40 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Yep, my opinion hasn’t changed from last night.

Justice must be served. It’s turtle time Bertuzzi, go endear yourself to Wings fans forever.

Fuch Shea Weber. He deserves what he has coming to him.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/12/12 at 03:41 PM ET

“BERT!!!”
“BERT!!!”
“BERT!!!”
“BERT!!!”
“BERT!!!”
“BERT!!!”
“BERT!!!”
“BERT!!!”
“BERT!!!”

This chant must ring out from Joe Louis Arena Sunday

Posted by Red Winger from work on 04/12/12 at 03:45 PM ET

cementslinger's avatar

Using the “since nobody got hurt” crap, it must be okay that people can drive drunk until they hurt someone.  Or text and drive until they crash into another car.  It’s perfectly legal until someone gets hurt.
Gee officer, it’s 3:30 in the morning, I’m drunk as fuch and swerving all over a deserted I-75 but nobody else is around and I haven’t hurt anybody.  It’s the playoffs.  It’s perfectly legal.

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 04/12/12 at 06:18 PM ET

Do we have a DMac on our current roster? See, that’s where the problem lies. Our playoff opponents are well aware of this deficiency and take full advantage of it year after year.
In other words, who is going to stand up for his teammates? Who is going to be DMac?

So, this decision basically tells RWings that a price for doing the same in return - smashing Weber’s head into the glass - will be $2,500.

Posted by Alex on 04/12/12 at 09:01 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Bring that suspension magnet goon Brendan Smith back to the roster! That terrible monster has face way harsher penalties than Weber.

This league makes me want to vomit.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/13/12 at 01:40 AM ET

I apologize, George.

You’re correct, I was two steps over the line and way to general.  I had a lapse in my belief in Karma (how could I forget Bertuzzi knew how to fight?).  My ilk for our neighbors up North stems from many sad examples (you know as many, I’m sure).  What got my temper up was that the game was over…and *surprise* here’s another Pronger/Thorton/WWF move.  In the end I hope this the ‘flip the switch’ moment the Wings need to wake up and smell the playoffs.  The pace and general attitude of Friday’s game seemed to indicate so.

I’ve been reading your stuff since your time at mlive, and appreciate your dedication.  You’ve got the best info and insight out there.  I’ll go back to quietly raving in house, where the politics are my own to answer to…and the karma!

LGRW!

Fatcity-g

Posted by Fatcity-g from Front Range Colo on 04/14/12 at 03:52 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Don’t worry about it. We all go overboard at times because we’re emotional and passionate about our game, our team and our players. No harm done, water under the bridge, sing the chorus of the Good Old Hoceky Game and you should be good karmically speaking wink

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/14/12 at 04:23 PM ET