The Malik Report

Shea Butter punches Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg into the boards, face-first

Update from Paul, Weber fined $2500, health of Zetterberg came in to play on the decision.

Also note original post of this blog was 11:02pm on 4/11/12.

Updated 4x with a little Swedish stuff at 2:54 AM: Nashville Predators defenseman Shea Weber gave Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg quite the punch and introduction to the end boards after being boarded by Z:

Update: Here’s NBC Sports’ Jeremy Roenick going ape about the hit…

Breaking sports news video. MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL highlights and more.

And the reactions from both teams, via MLive’s Ansar Khan, should not surprise you:

“Zetterberg hit him in the head first,’’ Trotz said. “It wasn’t much there. I mean, I was watching the scrum right after that with (Todd) Bertuzzi and (Paul) Gaustad and Bertuzzi comes in with a big-time haymaker.

“I watched the first the one, I just think Zetterberg was getting tired at the end and knew Webs was there and the game was over.’‘

Asked what led to the sparks, Weber said, “It’s playoffs.’‘

Does he think he’ll be disciplined by the NHL?

“I don’t know,’’ Weber said. “He hit me from behind. So we’ll see. I don’t know.’‘

Zetterberg did not address the media. Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said he was “180 feet away’’ and didn’t get a good look at it and didn’t see it on video.

Update #2: Stolen from the Tennessean’s Joshua Cooper, who likely provided the Weber/Trotz quotes:

TSn’s Bob McKenzie has the following to say about the hit:

At this point, there has been no mention to NSH about disciplinary hearing for Shea Weber pushing Zetterberg’s head into boards/glass.
...
I would be shocked if Weber is suspended. Whether we like it or not, and many don’t, outcome or result of hit usually trumps intent.
...
Weber’s vicious first punch was glancing blow, turnbuckle move looked worse but wasn’t as forceful. Worse part for me: time of game. Over.
...
But Weber-Zetterberg will be reviewed but I suspect Gaustad’s hack on Datsyuk at same time will be reviewed too. Review may not = hearing.
...
If there’s going to be disciplinary hearing tomorrow, I would suggest it’s likely to be VAN’s Byron Bitz for boarding LAK’s Kyle Clifford.

Update #2: Via RedWingsFeed, ESPN’s Craig Custance also offers the following:

Zetterberg hit Weber in the back moments before the retaliation from the Predators franchise defenseman, but Weber deflected the question when asked if that’s what set him off.

“I don’t know,” he said. “You guys watched it.”

He said the physical play is something to be expected in this series between two rivals.

“Both teams aren’t going to back down,” Weber said. “It’s going to be a long series.”( Now the question becomes will he be around to play for the entire thing? The hit would probably garner a suspension during the regular season, but during the recent GM meetings in March, Shanahan indicated that the postseason might be different.

“The standard of what is illegal or legal doesn’t change ... when you suspend a player during the regular season, you’re suspending him over 82 games,” Shanahan said at the time. “[In the playoffs], you’re looking at things in seven-game clumps. It’s a seven-game season each series.”

The Predators are already missing Hal Gill who missed the game with a lower body injury, making Shanahan’s decision with Weber even more critical. If Zetterberg wasn’t injured, that helps Weber’s case. Zetterberg wasn’t made available to the media after the game.

Update #3: If you’re keeping score at home, Nicklas Lidstrom told Expressen’s Gunnar Nordstrom that Weber’s hit was a dangerous one, but he suggested that Zetterberg was okay, and the team was hoping that he won’t turn up concussed this morning.

Update #4: Here’s one more angle from the CBC. You can see how Gaustad started giving Datsyuk one and then two-handers when time expired, which might be just as worrisome as Weber’s hit. Bertuzzi’s “haymaker” involved retaliating for Gaustad’s attempts to injure Datsyuk.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Wingfan191's avatar

Here are some gifs of it

Posted by Wingfan191 from Bothell, WA (originally from Troy, MI) on 04/12/12 at 01:04 AM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

I am afraid that Weber will kill Zetterberg if he is not suspended. If there is no punishment, that’s saying it’s open season, just go right ahead and decapitate someone.

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 04/12/12 at 01:07 AM ET

Chet's avatar

this is insane. 2 games min. if it wasn’t the playoffs it’d be 5 easy.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/12/12 at 01:09 AM ET

Zaze's avatar

this is insane. 2 games min. if it wasn’t the playoffs it’d be 5 easy.

It literally is insane.  that’s the best description i’ve heard so far

Posted by Zaze on 04/12/12 at 01:14 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

I was trying to figure out just what the hell could have been going through his mind to do that to Hank.

Then I realized it was nothing.  Nothing at all was in his mind other than, “Pffft…I know I’m good to do whatever the hell I want to these guys, Gary says I’m cool, I’m with the band.  At least that’s what Gino told me…”

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/12/12 at 01:17 AM ET

This is garbage. Weber won’t be disciplined - and this league will continue to be a joke.

Posted by LGRWeh on 04/12/12 at 01:25 AM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

I’ll be really surprised, if he sits out even one game..

Remember Malkin in 2009? Rules are always suddenly different against DET

Posted by detroitredwings on 04/12/12 at 01:25 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

That’s a first for me. I’ve never seen any player take a guy’s head and deliberately smash it into the glass with his hand. Simply amazing – in the worst possible way.

So now we’ll see what kind of cojones Shanny really has. And just imagine what the penalty would be if it had been someone like Pronger doing the same thing to Crosby. I’m guessing that Weber will get off easy in comparison.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/12/12 at 01:30 AM ET

Juice in LA's avatar

this is sofaking gross. no better than the Saint and bounty hunting. Would not surprise me if Weber got a bonus from those f**king hillbillies for that sh*t.

Posted by Juice in LA from Los Angeles by way of Detroit on 04/12/12 at 01:49 AM ET

DocF's avatar

We cannot comment on what will happen regarding Weber as there is a new sheriff in town and he has a new posse too.  Shannahan has already hinted rather broadly that this sort of crap will not be tolerated.  Of course, the Evil Garden Gnome can probably override whatever the decision is.

That should be good for a Maurice Richard type suspension - that being the entire balance of the playoffs.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 04/12/12 at 02:06 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’m gonna get shit for this, but I don’t think he’ll be suspended. If Roenick hadn’t bust a nut, I’m not sure if he’d even receive a call from Shanahan to begin with. It’s dirty and chicken shit, but Zetterberg wasn’t hurt, it’s at the end of a game, and Weber and the Predators would obviously argue that Zetterberg first boarded Weber, which should have been a penalty in their eyes, I’m sure.

I don’t see Shanahan cracking down on a “boys will be boys” play, regardless of how insanely stupid it was, if nobody got hurt.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/12/12 at 02:20 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

You may be right, George, but the rule talks about “intent to injure,” and I haven’t seen anything this year that more clearly demostrates one players deliberate intent to injure another player than what Weber did. Compare this to what Brendan Smith did (and didn’t do) in the pre-season. He got five regular-season games for a hit that clearly was an accident.

But the officiating was so incredibly bad tonight, I guess we shouldn’t expect anything different from Shanny.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/12/12 at 02:33 AM ET

Chet's avatar

this was a wrestling move—WWE that is. it HAS to be suspendable under R48.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/12/12 at 02:42 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I think he should get 2 or 3 games…but I think in the end…you’re right, George.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/12/12 at 02:46 AM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

George - how do we know Z wasn’t hurt? Sure he skated off under his own power, but we’ve seen numerous players this year (Letang, Crosby, Pronger, etc.) suffer effects of concussions well after the initial hit.

In my eyes, this is practically the same incident as what Keith did to Sedin. A player going completely out of his way to deliberately injure an opponents head. And from behind no less? This HAS to be a suspendable offense.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 04/12/12 at 03:00 AM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

It was retaliation overkill. I just think with the focus on concussions/head injuries, behaviour like that should not be tolerated. The first punch to the back of the head was bad enough, but when he grabs him and rams his face into the glass a second time, WTF?

Personally, I’d just as soon beat the Preds with Weber in the lineup. But I don’t see how you let him get away with that crap. I suppose maybe if Z has substantial injury or starts exhibiting concussion symptoms, they’ll consider suspension. I see he and Trotz already got their defense prepared. LOL!

Posted by SandysWingingit on 04/12/12 at 03:10 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Scroll up and read Trotz’s take. He wants us all to know that Todd Bertuzzi is a dirty player, and that Weber was of course not at fault.

No-neck is a charmer, innit he?

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/12/12 at 03:17 AM ET

Is a play more or less dirty regardless of the player gets hurt from it?
Therefor, should it more or less warrant a suspension?

Posted by Jasper on 04/12/12 at 03:19 AM ET

Alzy's avatar

Call me a sore loser, an idiot for believing in “an eye for an eye,” but this makes me want someone for Wings (like Emmerton) to be dressed for game 2, with the sole intent to go out and slash Weber’s ankle as hard as he can. Yeah I know it’s no better than what Weber did, but this fuching crap has to stop. The Wings have to stand up for themselves at some point, because I agree with GM, there’s gonna be no suspension. Shit like this cannot just be swept aside, Weber HAS to PAY for this.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/12/12 at 03:28 AM ET

Those jpegs start too late. Not that it’s ever correct to slam someone’s head into the glass on purpose after a game’s over, but at least show the whole thing.

Posted by larry from pitt on 04/12/12 at 03:49 AM ET

Indeed.  Why not find a GR player w/ a sharpened blade to take out Weber’s achilles?  Certainly no worse than those clowns from Anaheim who tried to take out Homer.  This m
iserabel sh*tbag should be relegated to splitting the woodpile, like his brother Dumbo-Joe who cross-checked THP only for the fact that he was winning.  This DNA I thought was cleaned from the pool long ago, albeit Canada was involved….yeah, you invented the game, but you F*cks couldn’t spell “Sportsmanship” if it was tattooed to your Mother’s ......The Ghost of Probert Will Bring YOU Down…Bring it, Bubba!

FatCity-G

Posted by Fatcity-G from Front Range Colo on 04/12/12 at 03:59 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

That’s inappropriate, even for here. This was a borderline hit at the end of a playoff game, and as the pundits have suggested, it is highly improbable that Weber will be suspended or fined, and it is even more improbable that the Red Wings will attempt to garner any sort of revenge that does not involve establishing a better forecheck against the entire Predators team and attempting to best them on the scoreboard.

Thankfully Z wasn’t hurt and he won’t shy from going into the corner with Weber because this kind of stuff won’t keep him down. Otherwise…The Predators are going to do much, much more to piss off Wings fans, and the Wings are going to do the same to Predators fans.

I respect your right to be incredibly upset, but I would kindly request that we please keep the, “Let’s take it outside, opposing team’s fans” commentary to a minimum.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/12/12 at 04:33 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

ok, Weeble punched(albeit he didnt connect completely) but then comes back with a second attempt to harm and smashes his head to the glass. Now you have MALICIOUS intent to harm another player. He damn well better get atleast 1 game. If he would’ve quit after the swing, i’d blow it off, but we cannot have this representative of how professional hockey players conduct themselves.

On another note, you pissed us off. Now we are focused more than ever. Lets get this 2nd game friday so I can look forward to the booooos everytime Weeble gets on the ice. Chump. Go Wings! Game On!

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/12/12 at 05:39 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I posted one more video from the CBC…Bertuzzi’s “haymaker” was the result of Paul Gaustad starting a slashing fight with Datsyuk and eventually two-handing Datsyuk repeatedly, and that was just as vicious as what Weber did to Zetterberg.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/12/12 at 05:45 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

lol, hell that was a lovetap from the stinkgripper.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/12/12 at 06:00 AM ET

Alzy's avatar

I’m sorry George, this will be my last post on the matter.

But in my not-so-subtle humble opinion, unless the Shanahammer comes down on Weber, I will not be silent in my seeking of vigilante justice. It’s not enough that the Wings win the series, I want literal blood flowing from Shea Weber’s head so he knows what happens when he tries to tell Hank to go get his fuching shinebox..

LGRW

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/12/12 at 06:51 AM ET

Chet's avatar

this used be handled on the ice, that much is true. maybe it stil will be. i wonder if the wings’ culture has changed that much. or the league’s. in the East, this wouldn’t be in question.

we all just celebrated the 15th anniversary of that night the wings got even with the avs. why do we look on that so fondly but act like this isn’t a big deal, even without a suspension?

this is hockey.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/12/12 at 08:11 AM ET

This is why the instigator rule needs to be removed from the books.

We’re all sitting at our keyboards and complaining about refs and shanny and suspensions.

What a crock. Game 2 should be McCarty Lemieux part 2.

Just go after the asswipe .. misconduct or not, Weber needs to be taught a lesson, but I guarantee that won’t happen because of the instigator rule.

It has made the players too whiney, it has made the officials way too visible.

God, please bring back real hockey.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 04/12/12 at 08:27 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

God, please bring back real hockey.
Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 04/12/12 at 06:27 AM ET

Hell…I would just settle for consistency.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/12/12 at 09:48 AM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

The hit from behind that Z put on Weber happens multiple times a game, wasn’t a very hard it and wasn’t even a penalty in my opinion.  Not only did Weber try to punch Z in the head he then grab his head, pulled it back and slammed it into the glass.  He should be suspended for a blatant attempt to injury another player.

Gaustad came from behind Dats, took a whack at his leg and then acted like he was the offended party when Dats took exception to his punk ass move.

No matter what happens as far as discipline, some cheap disgusting moves at the end of the game by the Pred players.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 04/12/12 at 11:16 AM ET

MarkK's avatar

If that, why not this? After all, boys will be boys right? Especially since “Zetterberg was getting tired at the end and knew Webs was there and the game was over”, so fair game.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 04/12/12 at 12:47 PM ET

peiz11's avatar

Honestly, I don’t have a good comment for this. $2,500 fine is like he bought the league a coffee for this. This is a great precedent for the league to set. Tapping someone with your stick for a half second, 2 minutes. WWE style throwing someone’s head into the boards, 2 minutes and a cup o joe.  Cool.

Posted by peiz11 from Minneapolis on 04/12/12 at 02:59 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

All I can do is shake my head at this decision, but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 04/12/12 at 03:02 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Way to send a message, Shanny.

Blow these punks out in 5 games.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 04/12/12 at 03:06 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I was just now able to go back and watch the video clip of Z “boarding” Weber. That check is his justification for faceplanting Z into the boards? What the fuch ever. Larry, your point is?

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 04/12/12 at 03:07 PM ET

lilja4ever's avatar

It’s Zetterberg’s fault after all, for being Swedish. Same thing vs Malkin and also Sasquatch on Holmstrom. It’s always the Swedes being soft, they’re unsafe by their vey nature according to the league. Toughen up, will ya!

Posted by lilja4ever on 04/12/12 at 03:11 PM ET

wedge56's avatar

At some point, I’m going to have to make the decision to step away from this game I love so much.

I just can’t take the apparent bias in calls much more.

Call me a tinfoil hat wearing nutjob, but after what we have seen in the playoffs the last few years…how can you not at least wonder ...just a teeny bit…if something isn’t going on behind the curtain?

Malkin’s non-suspension, too many men on the ice, refs buying into even the worst of the Sharks’ dives, WWE style head smashes, the quick whistles when the enemy goalie doesn’t have control of the puck that has cost us goals, the phantom interference calls on Homer time after time after time, the fact that Howard may as well have lane dividing line painted on his uniform because the opponents are apparently allowed to travel over him whenever they want and not only is it not a penalty…but goals are allowed to stand despite the obviousness of the call.

Bitter?  Damn right I am.

Posted by wedge56 on 04/12/12 at 03:15 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Posted by wedge56 on 04/12/12 at 01:15 PM ET

Not too far behind you, wedge.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 04/12/12 at 03:16 PM ET

Yup, I’m gonna’ go there…

could you even begin to imagine what the outcome would have been had it been Crosby being face-planted into the glass??

Minimum four games, easy.

Posted by Red Winger from work on 04/12/12 at 03:18 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Well, I guess we can throw out the “Shanny favors Detroit argument”

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/12/12 at 03:19 PM ET