The Malik Report

Shannon Hogan Moving From FoxSports Detroit To MSG

from Neil Best of Newsday,

Shannon Hogan went to high school in Northville, Michigan, outside Detroit, so working for Fox Sports Detroit for the past four years covering the Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons was a comfortable fit.

But when her agent called during the Stanley Cup Final with news MSG was looking for a new Islanders reporter, she responded without hesitation.

"I said, 'Oh my God, absolutely; whatever I can do, I have to get in there,'" she recalled Monday, the day before the network officially was set to announce she will succeed Peter Ruttgaizer, who had held the job since 2011.

Turns out Hogan, 29, is a hockey true believer, a love affair sealed during her first exposure to the Red Wings upon moving to Northville for her freshman year of high school. (She was born in Syracuse.)

"This was Hockeytown," she said. "I will never forget going to Joe Louis Arena for the first time and saying, 'Oh, my gosh, this is such an amazing atmosphere.'"

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Kaszycki and his Krew's avatar

Welcome to Long Island Shannon Hogan !  This is an upgrade for us here on Long Island !

I invite you to hang out with us outside Gate 11 in-between periods at the Coliseum.

Just remember - talk smack about the Ranger$, don’t mention Brooklyn to the Long Island (resident)  fans and don’t drink Wang’s Kool-Aid - and you will be welcomed with open arms by the fans !

It’s a good gig.  You get to work with Howie Rose and Butch Goring and Stan Fischler.  Hockey Night Live on MSG Network is often a good watch and here is hoping you get to contribute to that at times.

All the best !

Posted by Kaszycki and his Krew on 08/25/14 at 06:10 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

She will be missed on FSD.

Got to meet her, very quickly, as she stood by my daughter and I for a report during a CCHA playoff game at the Joe, and she was very nice and cordial.

More quality people leaving Hockeytown :(

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 08/25/14 at 07:10 PM ET

IMOrthodox13's avatar

Slow news day…

Posted by IMOrthodox13 on 08/25/14 at 10:16 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Yeah.  Holy.  This is incredible.  KK is sweet in the summer.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 08/25/14 at 10:28 PM ET

Good riddance. I can’t stand her.

Tough to understand this move, other than her wanting to live in NYC. She got to cover the Wings and Tigers, both very popular teams here. Now she gets to cover one team, the lowly New York Islanders. I can’t see how this is a career advancement for her.

Looks more like she wants to live in NYC like the cool kids.

Now it’s time for FSD to purge Rod Allen and Craig Monroe.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 08/26/14 at 08:49 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I can’t fault anyone in broadcasting for moving to the NY market.  It could lead to other things, working for the Rangers or the Yankees or WABC.  At 29 that’s hard to turn down.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/26/14 at 09:46 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Now it’s time for FSD to purge Rod Allen and Craig Monroe.
Posted by VitoLambruski on 08/26/14 at 09:49 AM ET

What’s with the hate for Rod Allen? I think he does excellent color for the Tigers, and he has a good voice for the job too. He and Impemba make a good team.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 08/26/14 at 11:28 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Now it’s time for FSD to purge Rod Allen and Craig Monroe.
Posted by VitoLambruski on 08/26/14 at 09:49 AM ET

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 08/26/14 at 12:28 PM ET

I agree with one of those.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/26/14 at 07:54 PM ET

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 08/26/14 at 12:28 PM ET

You mean you love being sheltered from anything resembling bad news or criticism or even objectivity? He’s a cackling shill. At least Mickey Redmond gets fired up and ticked off about things, even against the Wings.

On the radio, Paul Woods will call out bad play from the team or players. Jim Price will do the same.

Rod Allen won’t even come close to criticizing anything or anybody related to the team. I get that these guys aren’t going to absolutely blast the teams they cover, but something bordering on or even approaching objectivity is greatly appreciated. Rod is so far from that it’s sickening to listen to. When Jhonny Peralta was going to be suspended and then was suspended from the team for PEDs, NOT ONCE did he or Mario ever inform the viewers of that fact. That’s what I mean by sheltered. It’s bad news for the team and not one scrap of bad news or negative information can ever escape either of their mouths, despite the significance of the story. It would be like Kennedy being assassinated and the media deeming that too upsetting to tell people about and just not doing it.

That’s unacceptable. That broadcast is presented like a Jesus camp for baseball (and that’s coming from a practicing Catholic). Turn on your blinders and soak in the sunny skies. That’s all you’ll ever get from Rod and Mario. And forget about any actual analysis or intelligent commentary from Rod. It’s just a friendly-sounding guy talking.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 08/27/14 at 04:10 PM ET