The Malik Report

Shane Doan-Red Wings chatter update: no gnus is no gnus from Ken Holland

The Free Press’s Helene St. James confirmed that the Red Wings have given Shane Doan’s agent a call earlier this afternoon, and as I’m writing this, I’m about 40 minutes from being 100 feet too far from Ken Holland to haul my ass down to the Red Wings’ beat writers’ pack around the Wings’ GM…So I’m about to read something I wasn’t able to hear right along with you:

And what did Holland say to the Detroit News’s Ted Kulfan? Well, he, um…

“We have 14 or 15 forwards,” said Holland of his current roster. “Would we like to add a different type of forward, yeah. We’d like to add one more experienced defenseman. We’ll see what the next two months bring.”

Holland said he’s been in touch with different teams regarding trades, and he’s received calls from teams, but nothing is materialzing.

“Nothing really going on,” Holland said. “Most trades are made over the course of weeks and months, you think and talk about it. A lot of teams are looking at what they’ve got and what they don’t have.”

Holland said he’s planning on talking with veteran forward Tomas Holmstrom at some point this week. Holmstrom, 39, is deciding whether to return for another season, or not.

Doan’s agent chatted up the Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness about the possibility of coming to Detroit, albeit briefly…

Just before boarding a plane to go to the All-Star Game in Kansas City, Shane Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, confirmed that he has been contacted regarding his client by the Detroit Red Wings.And there is interest in Doan possibly coming to Detroit as well.

“Yes to both,” Bross said when asked if the Wings have contacted him and whether Doan has Detroit on a list of possible teams to play for next season.

Bross couldn’t talk any further as he was just about to board the plane.

And while Bross told MLive’s Brendan Savage that Doan’s future in Phoenix depends on whether a petition to veto the Coyotes’ sale makes the ballot in Glendale…

“That’s the reason we haven’t entertained any offers,” Bross said this afternoon. “We’re trying to give the Coyotes a chance to get this stuff resolved with the city and allow him to stay home and finish his career where he started it.

“We should have some idea this afternoon whether that’s going to be possible or not. Depending on how that goes, we’ll start possibly entertaining offers as soon as tomorrow.”
...
Bross said 14 teams have expressed interest in Doan, the Phoenix captain who has scored at least 20 goals for 12 straight seasons. Detroit is apparently near the top of Doan’s list should he leave Phoenix. MLive.com first reported July 4 that Bross had made several calls to the Red Wings beginning when free agency opened July 1.

“That’s one of the teams he mentioned he was interested in playing for,” Bross said. “I had some messages from Detroit. I need to return those calls. It’s been a little hectic. I’m on my way to the Major League Baseball All-Star Game. Later this evening, I’ll probably give (Red Wings general manager Ken Holland) a call when I land in Kansas City.”
...
“It’s a hockey town,” Bross said. “The franchise is obviously a storied franchise. They’re committed to winning. It’s a great place to play. It’s a good city to live in. There’s a lot there.”

Cue the magic Holland knuckleball!

“I think there are 30 teams that would be interested in Shane Doan,” he said.

And what did Jim Nill have to say to Savage?

“There’s going to be interest in Shane Doan,” Nill said. “But we don’t know until we know what his situation is. He’s a good player. You know as much as I know. Until he makes a decision, there’s nothing we can do. It’s just one of those situations. It’s up to him to make a decision.”

Ditto to the Free Press’s George Sipple, via Helene St. James:

I’ve got to say, folks, I know the “diggers” take a lot of heat, but they do their job and they do it both remarkably well and unbelievably quickly.

Update: it is worth noting, via RedWingsFeed and Puck Daddy, that Doan’s agent is selling his client to the Penguins and Canucks as well.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

IwoCPO's avatar

they do it both remarkably well and unbelievably quickly.

Yes, they do it quickly.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/09/12 at 07:58 PM ET

Bross has made several calls to the Wings.
The Wings have called Bross.
Bross says nice things about Detroit.
Detroit’s one of the teams Doan mentioned playing for.
Stop me before I read too much into this (like he didn’t tell 5 other cities’ media the same thing).

Posted by Bugsy on 07/09/12 at 07:59 PM ET

John's avatar

More depth up front means more trade bait.  Make as many calls as you can Ken!!

Posted by John from Pittsburgh, PA (Wings fan for life!) on 07/09/12 at 08:12 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Yes, they do it quickly.
Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/09/12 at 05:58 PM ET

I vote for that.

Let me say while I’ve been guilty of beating the Doan drum for three years, and especially lately, I hope this does not end up with another widespread feeling of being jilted like the high school cheerleader not being invited to prom by the football quarterback, should he not end up in Detroit.

Odds are great that he will stay in Phoenix, and if does decide to leave, the LA Kings are probably a better choice for him.  His family could stay in Phoenix where they’ve grown up, he can catch a 1 hour flight from LAX or Orange County John Wayne Airport and be home to see his family, and they’re a Stanley Cup winner with a younger version of himself as captain, and a Quick goalie.

I hope, if he decides to leave, that he chooses the Wings, it makes hockey-sense for him and for the Wings, but he either faces uprooting or multi-year separation from his family by a 5 hour one way plane ride.

Tough call for him, so don’t pull a 180 and call him a Douche if he chooses to stay or go to LA instead.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/09/12 at 08:21 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

More depth up front means more trade bait.  Make as many calls as you can Ken!!

Posted by John from Pittsburgh, PA (Wings fan for life!) on 07/09/12 at 06:12 PM ET

Yes, some sh1t will have to go down, for sure.  Get Doan, trade some forwards and maybe a pick for Yandle.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/09/12 at 08:22 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

Trying to keep up with what the Wings are doing, or not doing, is cutting into my fishing time.

Big money, big money, no whammies eh?

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 07/09/12 at 08:42 PM ET

calquake's avatar

We watch, we wait and then we criticize after the fact. cheese

Posted by calquake on 07/09/12 at 08:52 PM ET

Does the prospect of bringing in Doan or Weber smell of when Chelios was signed. We are happy to get him but it will take a moment to try and get over hating his stinking guts.  Just curious, am I alone on this one??

Posted by Winged20Wheel from Toledo on 07/09/12 at 09:06 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

We watch, we wait and then we criticize after the fact.

Posted by calquake on 07/09/12 at 06:52 PM ET

+ add “under bid” and you’ve got something there. If we are “all in” on this guy we better not lose out to another team because we got outbid. Im not saying reach for the sky kind of paycheck, but the market is what it is. And the market isnt exactly saturated with this kind of player left to choose from. Just make the deal, and trade some stuff for Yandle. Then I can get back to my Lions, and come back here in September knowing all is as good as it can be.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/09/12 at 09:32 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

We watch, we wait and then we criticize after the fact.

Posted by calquake on 07/09/12 at 06:52 PM ET

Calquake’s number one rule of being a fan of Detroit sports.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/09/12 at 10:55 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Calquake’s number one rule of being a fan of Detroit sports.

Posted by RWBill from hiding indoors from Virginia heat. on 07/09/12 at 08:55 PM ET

I thought it was don’t bogart that joint RW tongue wink

I too have wanted Doan for quite awhile. I know whenever he plays the Wings, he goes balls out due to the fact Babbles left him off the Olympic roster in 2010.

I also agree to keep Bert the hell out of the top 6 . Much better pieces on the roster ahead of him.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 07/10/12 at 12:14 AM ET

Yep. Most trades take place over weeks or months…or in Kennys case, several seasons.

Posted by ElCapitan on 07/10/12 at 02:15 AM ET