The Malik Report

Samuelsson Skating With Datsyuk And Zetterberg

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

redxblack's avatar

At least we now know where the missed perfect setup shots will end up. William Tell on the top line. Vomit.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/06/13 at 09:38 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

Well…this is one idea.  Let’s see how long he keeps this trio together.

Hey, maybe Sammy will score 3 or 4 goals tonight by going to the net with is stick on the ice and tipping in Captain Hank’s centering passes and….wait…did I just say Sammy going to the net?  Oops…my bad.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/06/13 at 09:41 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I understand we need a body on that line to fill in for Abby…. but really? Just really?

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/06/13 at 09:45 AM ET

red_wings_49's avatar

Put Brunner back out there… he started off the season with Pav and Z… and things were great… COME ON!

Posted by red_wings_49 from Mad Heights, MI on 05/06/13 at 09:54 AM ET

Bert, Brunner, Eaves, Miller with one hand…anyone but Samuelsson, PLEASE.

Posted by Garth on 05/06/13 at 09:57 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

This is probably Sammy’s last chance to avoid a compliance buyout this summer. Maybe that will motivate him to play hard and shoot straight. Oh, boy, that made me laugh before I even finished typing it.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/06/13 at 10:14 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Posted by Garth on 05/06/13 at 10:57 AM ET

The only reason I can come up with is to have him try to get under Perry’s skin…. other than that I got nothing on this one.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/06/13 at 10:18 AM ET

This is probably Sammy’s last chance to avoid a compliance buyout this summer

Ain’t happening.  Holland will say this is our big free agent singing getting Sammy back because he was injured all year.  Watch.

Posted by bababooey on 05/06/13 at 10:55 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

It was a situation like this for Kenny to bring Sammy back in the first place. Sammy is familiar with Z and Pavs play and can justify his return with a solid contribution tonite.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 05/06/13 at 11:03 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

Let us hope for this to be true.  I’d love for my doubts to be proven wrong tonight (and for the next few weeks).

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/06/13 at 11:06 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

this is hilarious.  you’re all saying the same things about Sammy that you were saying about Abby.  and you were all dead wrong.

Sammy is tougher, more experienced, and has better hands than Abby.  he can also cover the point if a dman pinches in.

relax.  Sammy is gonna do just fine.  he’s rested and healthy.  he’s a better shit-stirrer than Abby, too.  remember what he did last game?  sure, he took a penalty…then he goaded the Ducks into taking one too.  name another Wing who can do that.  *crickets*

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/06/13 at 11:21 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

Now now, I was never an Abdelhater.  I did, however, hate the Datsyuk/Abby/Cleary line…which started working better once Cleary was pulled off it…hmmm…

Tootoo.  Oh wait, he has to be on the ice to do that, doesn’t he?

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/06/13 at 11:24 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I have seen Tootoo TAKE penalties, never seen him manage to get the other team to even it up.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/06/13 at 11:28 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

Actually, he does it quite a bit.  He leads the team in average number of penalties drawn per game:  http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=41&s=46&f1=2012_s&f2=5v5&f5=DET&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+41+42+43+44+45+46#

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/06/13 at 11:42 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

yeah but they’re not the shit-stirrer type of after-the-whistle penalties, which is what Sammy did and does.  like Maltby used to do. the ones Tootoo draws are generally because he is actually a speedy guy and it’s all the opponents can do but to hook or hold him a lot of times to slow him down.

I think Tootoo has too much of a reputation, and the refs won’t give the other team a penalty for smacking him after the whistle.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/06/13 at 11:45 AM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

I have a feeling this will be the last home game of a season. Might as well relax and enjoy.

Posted by detroitredwings on 05/06/13 at 11:46 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Sammy: you must remember this.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/06/13 at 11:56 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Might as well relax

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/06/13 at 12:03 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m… intrigued by Samuelsson on the top line.  The guy really, really knows how to irritate, if nothing else.  You can’t have Tootoo do that unless you want to hand the Ducks 5 PP’s in the first 2 periods.  Sammy gets away with a LOT though in the playoffs.

Not saying it works, not saying it doesn’t.  However it is a new spin on the whole Power Forward with Z and Pav line of thinking.  Instead it’s now Agitator with Z and Pav.

Of course, if nobody scores it won’t matter who’s out there.

Posted by Primis on 05/06/13 at 01:00 PM ET

I pray more than 10% of his shots are on net. He has a nice hard shot but damn his accuracy is rough.

Posted by neffernin on 05/06/13 at 02:10 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Sammy can do it!

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/06/13 at 02:20 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Sammy has played 4 games this regular season 1A -3. He’s had a groin injury, broken finger and pectoral injury lastly and at age 36 he’s basically a PP specialist.
Still rather see Tootoo in but if Sammy can help this crap PP unit it’ll make Babs look like a genius.
Today’s NHL sucks. I suppose Toots isn’t playing because the NHL would suspend him on his first hit. Shea Weber hit on Z from last years playoffs is laughing at the Abdelkader suspension right now probably sitting on his couch.
Well, bettman and his cronies has turned this league into a special teams league so maybe Sammy will score a hatty on the PP tonight

shock