The Malik Report

Samuelsson On Waivers

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

WingedRider's avatar

Thank you , KH!!  Finally one step closer to a decent roster!!!

Will never get claimed, IMO

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 01/25/14 at 03:54 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Wow. I didn’t think Kenny/Babs had it in them to pull the trigger on sending Sammy to GR. Looks like the play of the young guns is beginning to grow on them.

I think this pretty much guarantees that Glendenning stays for the rest of the season. He definitely earned it. He’s beginning to remind me a lot of Matby.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/25/14 at 03:56 PM ET

Paul's avatar

St. James tweets,

Per Ken Holland, #RedWings will have Johan Franzen back Sunday against Florida. Last played Dec. 15 (concussion).

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/25/14 at 03:59 PM ET

Two home wins and now this?  Icing on the cake.

Posted by maltby18 on 01/25/14 at 04:02 PM ET

Alan's avatar

A double whammy of excellent news, Paul! Thank you!

If this means getting Cleary off our power play, all the better!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/25/14 at 04:03 PM ET

Really didn’t think they’d ever put Sammy on waivers given the small cap relief.  Happy though.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/25/14 at 04:06 PM ET

squirrely's avatar

I hope so, I agree, Glenny is much needed on this roster, he definitely gets under the opposition’s skin.  He was a thorn in PK’s and Toew’s side the past two games.  I like the kid.

Posted by squirrely from Dirty Jersey on 01/25/14 at 04:08 PM ET

HALLELUJAH!!!

Posted by IMOrthodox13 on 01/25/14 at 04:09 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

THANK YOU JESUS!

Now as for Cleary…

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 01/25/14 at 04:19 PM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

Wow just Wow!

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 01/25/14 at 04:22 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Great news! The other day Blabbles said he likes winning. Looks like he wants to do something aboot it.

Actions speak louder than words. Me likey.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/25/14 at 05:24 PM ET

11B4PF7 in MN's avatar

Wonder what the new CBA says about an over 35 yr old contract who refuses to report to the AHL?

Posted by 11B4PF7 in MN on 01/25/14 at 06:21 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

It was simply time for the Wings to give Sammy some playing time and admit that Eaves stole his job. A coupleof days ago Samuelsson told Expressen that he was biting his tongue about his situation but wasn’t happy at all.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/25/14 at 07:02 PM ET

So… Best case scenario is that he retires from the NHL and goes home to play in Sweden taking his cap hit off the books and giving the Wings the cap space they need for the rest of the year? I could actually see this happening as I don’t think Sammy’s got any realistic hope of signing with another NHL team next year. He’s going to be best off to just go ahead and bite the bullet rather than ride the bus the rest of the year. The only problem with him leaving is that he leaves behind his salary and I don’t know what they make in the SEL or SHL or whatever they want to call it anymore.

Posted by teldar on 01/25/14 at 07:10 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Nope. Sammy retiring keeps his entire salary on the Red Wings’ cap hit. It would be worse for the Wings to have Sammy retire than to send him to GR and have him refuse to report (where he could be suspended, but the cap burying part remains)

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/25/14 at 07:14 PM ET

Paul's avatar

The only way I can see the Wings getting rid of his contract is late September.

With the cap going up, that means the floor rises too, so teams may need to reach that floor, other than that, nada.

But do remember he has a NTC too.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/25/14 at 07:17 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The only way I can see the Wings getting rid of his contract is late September.

You need another cup of coffee, boss.  smile

Sammy’s contract goes bye bye at the end of this season. It’s Tootoo who still has another year on his contract after this one.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/25/14 at 07:24 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I was hacked!!!! Ha, maybe a drink OTC.  Been a long week.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/25/14 at 07:26 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

I highly doubt that Samuelsson is going to give up playing in the NHL so soon. We can say what we want about Russian players, but if Samuelsson was Russian he’d have headed for the KHL a while ago. I doubt Samuelsson wants to go to the KHL and Sweden doesn’t pay the same as the KHL or have the same allure as the NHL.

Posted by EDJ on 01/25/14 at 07:35 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

First smart move in a while by Kenny.  Hopefully its the beginning of many more to come.  Teletubby and Glendenning should be very proud of themselves for forcing his hand with great play.

Posted by Hootinani on 01/25/14 at 07:44 PM ET

Good move.  Now if only that Bertuzzi-on-the-market rumour would prove to be true and Dan Cleary could, I don’t know, contract Ebola or get hit by a car or something, then we’d be in great shape.

Posted by Garth on 01/25/14 at 08:03 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

SEL or SHL or whatever they want to call it anymore.

Posted by teldar on 01/25/14 at 06:10 PM ET

This year we call it SHL !!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/25/14 at 09:18 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

The #RedWings have placed veteran forward Mikael Samuelsson on waivers today.
  — The Wheel Deal (@Bill_Roose) January 25, 2014

April Fools!!!!  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha,  you got us!  We all fell for it!  Wait?  This is real?  Holy crap…

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/25/14 at 10:27 PM ET

With Weiss on LTIR cap space isn’t much of an issue because his salary gives the Wings a ton of room over the cap to replace him.

That aside, I always get a kick out of the unreasoning support or hate different Wing players find themselves receiving over time.  Watching people dance like Snoopy over a largely-irrelevant player like Sammy getting waived while kvetching over similarly-irrelevant Tootoo getting waived is the latest installment in that series.

Fans always require a Villain, I guess.  Even within the teams they support.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/26/14 at 09:11 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Sammy isn’t a villain, he’s an effigy.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/26/14 at 10:13 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

Yeah, I wouldn’t call Sammy a villain.  I would call him a waste of a roster spot and a drain on our Cap space.  But we like the dude and wish him a long and successful career with, say, the Dallas Stars.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/26/14 at 10:51 AM ET

Paul's avatar

As expected, Samuelsson clears waivers.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/26/14 at 01:06 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Samuelsson has been assigned to GR, no word from him yet.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/26/14 at 01:10 PM ET

The #RedWings have placed veteran forward Mikael Samuelsson on waivers today.

I feel tingly.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/26/14 at 02:46 PM ET