The Malik Report

Samuelsson In, Bertuzzi Out?

added 2:22pm, from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

“I have to play a simple game, that's priority No. 1,'' Samuelsson said. “Just skate hard and hit guys. That's where I'm going to start, and hopefully I'll get a feel for the puck. … I can play hard around the puck. It doesn't matter how much (time) you missed.''

Samuelsson will play on the fourth line with Cory Emmerton and Patrick Eaves and, with his right-handed shot, man the right point on the second power-play unit, alongside Jakub Kindl.

“Unfortunately, I got injured, but that's nothing I think about right now,'' Samuelsson said. “Like everybody else, I come in here really excited about tonight. Playoffs is awesome. That's what I live and die for. It's going to be fun.''

Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said he made the change because “I just watched the game (Thursday) and I thought Sammy could help us.''

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Babs throwin’ in the towel since DDK is done for the year?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/04/13 at 10:27 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

I really hope bertuzzi does the noble thing and hangs it up after this year. Ala rafalski. We need his 2 million next year to pay players who…you know…can play.  I wasn’t thrilled when we got him the 1st time. And then we get him a second time!  He won’t do it, tho. He probably needs the money.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:32 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Considering even if Bertuzzi retires his cap hit will still count, I’d say he needs to play if he’s healthy and effective, Dan.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/04/13 at 10:46 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

Rafalski’s 6 came off the books when he retired. And Berts hit would not u say mrfluffy?  Swear to god I’m not tryin to start with u. Just askin.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:53 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

IIRC Raf signed his deal when he was 34.

Bertuzzi’s 2 year extension was signed last year and he was 37 at the time.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/04/13 at 10:59 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

Alright good lookin. I LOVE learning stuff here. That’s why I visit. Its so much better than name calling and getting into it.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 11:02 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Babs really took Bert bowing out of that regular season game to heart.  Hope the 11 forwards we have left by the end of the 1st are ready for some extra shifts.

Posted by Hootinani on 05/04/13 at 11:07 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

How many shifts will it take to get to Sammies Tootsie Roll Center? Lets see…..uh 1…..2…...3…..*crunch*

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/04/13 at 11:25 AM ET

Is there a rule that at least one of Holland’s FA screwups has to play?  We did fine without the 3 of em last game.

Posted by maltby18 on 05/04/13 at 11:52 AM ET

OnlyWings's avatar

If the Griffins lose on Sat we can call up some REAL players.  Sammy on the 4th line will be hilarious, IMO.

Might as well put him on the PP point, Short handed goals coming up.  Bert better be hurt or this could be a series ending decision

Still say they should have added Tatar after trade deadline.

Posted by OnlyWings on 05/04/13 at 12:08 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 05/04/13 at 12:07 PM ET

What r u talking about?

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 12:26 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

I really hope that Sammy comes in and plays a solid game. This is not the time to bitch… We need to beat the poultry…

Did Bert hurt his back again?

Posted by alukacs on 05/04/13 at 01:19 PM ET

Pharazon's avatar

well, at least with Sammy in the lineup we can get rid of Cleary for the rest of the playoffs, because you know it’s only a matter of time before a misguided Sammy slapper plugs Cleary clean in the jaw…

Posted by Pharazon from England on 05/04/13 at 01:20 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Just added Sammy comments to the post and why Babcock decided to make the change.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/04/13 at 01:24 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I have to play a simple game, that’s priority No. 1,’’ Samuelsson said. “Just skate hard and hit guys. That’s where I’m going to start, and hopefully I’ll get a feel for the puck.

We hate to break this to you, Sammy, but you’ve played 772 NHL games and you’ve never had a “feel” for the puck. smile

This just in. Word from JLA is that Al and his crew have reinforced the glass behind both goals, but all fans seated in those sections will be issued hard hats anyway – just in case.

...and, with his right-handed shot, man the right point on the second power-play unit, alongside Jakub Kindl

Yeah. Great. That can only end badly.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/04/13 at 01:59 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Sammy is a big body, and if he wants to he can really hammer the D on the forecheck.
I hope this is what he does.

Posted by w2j2 on 05/04/13 at 02:43 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

You and I think a lot alike.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/04/13 at 03:07 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Hey, maybe, just maybe, we can get 60 minutes of playing time out of Sammy this year….maybe.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/04/13 at 03:08 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

By the way, Happy Star Wars Day everybody!

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/04/13 at 03:08 PM ET