The Malik Report

Samuelsson Assigned To Grand Rapids, Franzen Activated

Ken Holland told the beat writers Samuelsson cleared waivers and has been assigned to Grand Rapids, plus Johan Franzen has been activated.

Now the question is will Samuelsson report?  If he wants to get paid, he will.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

42jeff's avatar

Holy hell…I better go hang a giant ass net on the south side of my house to protect my windows…

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/26/14 at 12:32 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Happy to hear Mule is in!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/26/14 at 12:43 PM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

Do people really think Samuelsson won’t show?  He may not be happy about it, but I bet he’ll be there.  He gets paid and could possibly showcase himself for a chance with another team.  Not sure any team out there would take him with the cap the way it is but still.  I think he’ll try to stay in the NHL any way he can.

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 01/26/14 at 12:53 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Happy to hear Mule is in too, but, for how long? He has a been a favorite whipping boy around here. I will admit that his play of late(when he actually is playing) has been the best I’ve seen from him in years.

I still like the youth movement better. The sport of Hockey, or any sport for that matter, is a young man’s game.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/26/14 at 12:54 PM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

I hope he does find other employment next year.  He may not have been needed on this team, but he was never a bad seed.

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 01/26/14 at 12:55 PM ET

A net in front of your house will assure no Samuelsson shot will be anywhere near it.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/26/14 at 12:56 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/26/14 at 12:56 PM ET

Haha…I was actually just going to put it up to protect my windows…maybe your idea of a hockey net will be even safer!

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/26/14 at 12:58 PM ET

Of course Sammy will report.  The question, if one arises, will come if he begins to play well through extended usage.

I suspect not, just based on previously established bias, but it would be an interesting study in the application of standards.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/26/14 at 12:58 PM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

If, say, Sammy starts producing at a point per game pace or better at the AHL level would people start advocating for his return to the Wings with the same ferocity they advocated for young players producing at the same level (or less) to get an NHL role?[/quote

NOPE!  Sammy has proven, granted in limited playing time, that he is not a point per game or point per every other game player at the NHL level.  No one knew with the hot kids how their game would translate at the NHL level, but people wanted to find out.

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 01/26/14 at 01:07 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Do people really think Samuelsson won’t show?

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 01/26/14 at 12:53 PM ET

He certainly didn’t show up in DET yet.

Posted by Primis on 01/26/14 at 01:18 PM ET

Well, if you stopped making shit up, you might have some sort of a point.

The fact is that people were advocating for Nyquist based on his play on the Red Wings last year, and they were advocating for him to never have been sent down to GR this year in the first place.  That he was well over a point per game in GR only helped to show that they made a mistake sending him down while leaving Cleary and Sammy in Detroit to flounder.

So yeah, if by some miracle Samuelsson becomes the best player in the AHL, maybe your horseshit argument would have some kind of, ANY kind of validity, but wine that isn’t in the realm of possibility, what’s your f*cking point?

Posted by Garth on 01/26/14 at 01:25 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Yes I certainly can’t wait for a 37-year old man in the twilight of his career with no improvement prospects would do if he can perform only as well as people whose most-productive years are supposed to be ahead of them instead of in the past.

I can’t wait to vociferously argue that a has-been has earned his way back up to potentially being “tied” with the rookies and therefore deserves a spot in the lineup.

I mean, I remember all the insane complaining that Cory Emmerton wasn’t being called back up when he was putting up nearly a point-per-game in his 31 contests with the Griffins this year.

This certainly shows an unnatural and certainly inexplainable consistent bias against… well something. $3M boat-anchors, possibly?

Personally, my prediction for the potential for a Mikael Samuelsson rebirth in Grand Rapids will be a majority of fans to mix between bitterness that he couldn’t play this well in the games he was getting power play time for the Wings and of calls for the Wings to find a trade destination for him.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/26/14 at 01:32 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I don’t pretend that I’ve ever tried to learn enough about the cap and the CBA to really understand them, but something’s wrong with a league in which teams can’t get rid of dead wood and have to leave great young players out of the line up because of some stupid cap or contract thing.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/26/14 at 12:54 PM ET

Agreed.  I’m not sure I even want Mule back at this point.  Geez, it would be nice to see the current lines kept intact, except to put Pav in (to center Z and Nike) and take Cleary out (putting Abby with Helm and Fred).

LGRW!!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/26/14 at 01:40 PM ET

The last 3 or 4 wings free agent signings cant even find jobs in the NHL pretty amazing.

Posted by brians neck on 01/26/14 at 01:48 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Daniel Alfredsson and Stephen Weiss?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/26/14 at 01:56 PM ET

I suppose im talking about the signings of white, coli (who’s riding the bench), sammy, tootoo. Not this last off seasons.

Posted by brians neck on 01/26/14 at 02:12 PM ET

bigdee89's avatar

an interesting study in the application of standards.

Wow…..WTF does this even mean.  You need to watch some ESPN and brush up on your sports talk.  But thanks because it got Garth going lmao.

All I can say about Sammy is he was great in 2008 but now he’s “2000 and late”.  Shoulda been dropped a long time ago.

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 01/26/14 at 02:28 PM ET

Ian White prospered when he was paired with TPH.  He proved great until TPH retired and he was exposed.  Colaicococvococo was fricking amazing against the Duhucks when he out-muscled Dorky Fairy and Baldy Flatscalp and other Duhucks’ big forwards out of Jimmy’s crease thus helping to win the series.  I would’ve liked him to stay, but the half-ass, Proskauer Rose-sponsored mini-lockout season sliced off $$$ from the cap and made him dispensable…plus he was made of glass and there was no way he could guarantee us a season where we could have him available for at least 60 games.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 01/26/14 at 02:31 PM ET

i would propose to you that ian white went through a rough patch and then was sat by babcock and never given a chance to play himself back in. Lord knows Q is horrible and never is benched. May have something to do with his comments during the lockout that no other team decided to take a chance on him either…

Posted by brians neck on 01/26/14 at 02:39 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by brians neck on 01/26/14 at 01:48 PM ET

Daniel Alfredsson and Stephen Weiss?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/26/14 at 01:56 PM ET

You forgot Gustavsson too. That guy sucks. rolleyes

Posted by SK77 on 01/26/14 at 03:22 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Amen on colo syf.  Id argue sammy got him bought out with his “lingering” injury preventing thw Wings from buying him out

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/26/14 at 03:38 PM ET