The Malik Report

Roy Wants To See Less Red Tomorrow

from Adrian Dater of All Things Avs,

Avs coach Patrick Roy, a centerpiece of the great rivalry with fights at center ice in Detroit with Wings goalies Mike Vernon and Chris Osgood, called it the best rivalry of his career — even better than the heated games he played against provincial rivals from Quebec while a Montreal Canadien.

Roy has a message for Avalanche fans: Show up at the game Thursday. In recent years, the Pepsi Center has had a lot of Red Wings jerseys in the stands, and Roy wants that to stop.

"I hope I'm not going to see a lot of red jerseys, that's all I can say. I want to see burgundy and white," Roy said.

Roy can set an NHL record if the Avs can win. He is tied with his former coach, Montreal's Mario Trembly in 1995, for the best start to a coaching career at 6-0.

more reaction to the Wings/Avs rivalary from some of the current Colorado players...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

gowings's avatar

BREAK THE PARTY RED WINGS!!!!

Posted by gowings from MTL on 10/16/13 at 04:06 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Then he better take his BP meds.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 10/16/13 at 04:08 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Roy can set an NHL record if the Avs can win. He is tied with his former coach, Montreal’s Mario Trembly in 1995, for the best start to a coaching career at 6-0.

That’s an interesting anecdote.  First of all, guess who the coach was that kept Roy in net in MTL that led to the infamous blowup?  Tremblay of course.  His name still makes some Habs fans seethe with rage.

Where in the NHL is Tremblay now coaching again?  Oh right, analyst for RDS… didn’t even make it two full seasons as NHL head coach, never got another head gig.

Hey but there’s always Roy’s coach in Colorado, Marc Crawford.  Surely he carved out a lasting NHL caree—what?  He went from TV analyst to coaching in Switzerland?

Gosh, I wonder how Roy’s career arc will go?

Posted by Primis on 10/16/13 at 05:08 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

And, he is right. That was a great rivalry. Unlike the pre-fab manufactured type of hype laden claptrap bullcrap we are told are rivalries by edict of the NHL.

Tough luck Gary. A$$.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/16/13 at 05:14 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Gosh, I wonder how Roy’s career arc will go?

Posted by Primis on 10/16/13 at 05:08 PM ET

Much better than many around here think. I hate to say it, but, I think he makes good.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/16/13 at 05:19 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I thought a “rivalry” was between any two teams playing on a weeknight on an NBC broadcast.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/16/13 at 08:42 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

COMMENT OF THE MONTH.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/16/13 at 08:58 PM ET

Gosh, I wonder how Roy’s career arc will go?

So early success is an indicator of a short career?

Why are you so butt hurt?

Posted by Garth on 10/17/13 at 11:47 AM ET