The Malik Report

‘Roughly Translated’: Mrazek hopes to avoid arbitration with the Wings

Petr Mrazek spoke with iDnes.cz's Miroslav Horak regarding his pending arbitration case, and here's a rough translation of the interview:

Mrazek's battle over money: Detroit goes against me, but I won't back down

Today, if you fly into Toronto, on board you will meet Petr Mrazek. It's not that the possibly #1 goalie for the World Cup needed to familiarize himself with the environment ahead of the autumn show, that will be a little different. The hard defending is your own business. The Detroit goaltender has a pending arbitration hearing in order to determine his salary. And it's often a harsh duel in which participants have recalled for decades..."I'll tell you my..." but the 24-year-old goalkeeper with tremendous potential doesn't hide.

Last weekend, before traveling to Canada, he spent his maximum time in his native Ostrava, where Petr Mrazek gave young clients of his goalie school a morning exercise for his eventual successors.

The day after tomorrow then he will sit before an independent judge on a personal mission. About his future financial situation with the Red Wings. Although there is still time before arbitration to get the awkwardness out of the way.

"Thus far, it seems to me that we'll miss arbitration. Let's see what awaits me after my arrival. It's not inconceivable that there will be a contract so we can avoid speaking to the court. On Wednesday morning, we'll talk contract with the Red Wings, and I know that Kenny Holland (the general manager) doesn't like arbitration," says Mrazek.

The promising goaltender should be a leader next season for the Red Wings, and he knows what awaits him. "I know that Detroit will speak against me, but I will tell. We must take it as business. Fear not suffering, fears shouldn't go into that," he says.

He's ready for a hard fight for his contract. "I'm going with my agents, and we'll argue for what we want. I'm not afraid about arbitration, once in a lifetime I can endure it," says Mrazek.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

The wings did this to themselves with that howard contract. How can you argue with him? He had a bad after feb. Then you went on TV and blamed your defense, not your goalie. Finally, Andersen got 5m, I think Mrazek deserves it too. If he signs for 4.25 x 2 i think that will be a win.

Posted by scubastevie on 07/25/16 at 05:28 PM ET

If this is translated properly, I do not like his attitude one bit.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/25/16 at 06:19 PM ET

Vpalmer, I’m just hoping with the lack of work done on the defensive front, we don’t destroy our future goaltenders’ relationship with the red wings over 1.5/2m a season when howard is making lots of money

Posted by scubastevie on 07/25/16 at 06:21 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

He did slump last season, but came back OK. That may count against him. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 07/25/16 at 06:56 PM ET

He’s confident..good trait, maybe cocky? Who knows. Translations don’t tell all and most players are going to speak different from the “obviously”, “well,you know” and etc they are taught to say to the NA media when back in their home.

For a goal tender, like his attitude. NA guys would have to be more reserved.

Posted by VFUSION on 07/25/16 at 08:43 PM ET

Posted by scubastevie on 07/25/16 at 05:28 PM ET

Howard had 234 games in the NHL and 4 seasons as a starter before that contract, Mrazek less than 100 games and 1 season as a starter.

Posted by George0211 on 07/26/16 at 08:24 AM ET

Colin's avatar

If this is translated properly, I do not like his attitude one bit.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/25/16 at 06:19 PM ET

He has every reason to be pissed. He’s on a team where crap like Ericsson makes over $4m per season, and Kenny wants to rake HIM over the coals? Not to mention that despite playing behind crap like Ericsson, he still managed to post a top 10 save percentage, which is better than Howard’s last what, 3-4 seasons?

The kid is a star who’s due a fat raise. I personally hope either Mrazek or his agent calls out Kenny for being an utterly incompetent boob when it comes to putting together a good defense to give Mrazek some help. If I was being relied on to be the whole defense (which I’m convinced is what ruined Howard) like our starting goalies have been for about 4 years or so, I’d want $5m plus too.

The kids got stones, and he knows what he’s worth. Props to him for going to get it. Maybe getting his ass handed to him in this hearing might wake Kenny up.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 07/26/16 at 08:31 AM ET

PierreC's avatar

i too don’t like his attitude. You can’t compare Mrazek with any of our bad contracts, like E. KH likes to thanks with a big contract those who have been around, at least two or three seasons, Mrazek only played one full season and that is the most important point with KH.

but i think the translation didn’t reflect what Mrazek really believe…

i hope…

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 07/26/16 at 08:50 AM ET

If this is translated properly, I do not like his attitude one bit.

Which part don’t you like?  The part where he thinks they’ll get a deal done before the hearing even happens or the part where it doesn’t seem to be bothering him because he acknowledges that it’s just business?

Posted by Garth on 07/26/16 at 08:51 AM ET

but i think the translation didn’t reflect what Mrazek really believe…

i hope…

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 07/26/16 at 08:50 AM ET

That’s exactly right. I believe Murray mentioned this as well. There is not a single contract on the team that can be used as a comparable to Mrazek.

Posted by George0211 on 07/26/16 at 08:53 AM ET

Colin's avatar

Is he a professional athlete? Yes.

Therefore, you can and SHOULD compare them. The simple fact is that one of those players is a budding star with buckets of potential and skill who was a top 10 player in his position last season, and the other was always, at best, a middling player at his position who does NOTHING well and yet got a massive extension IN THE MIDDLE OF A SEASON which he has NEVER lived up to once.

Tenure is not TALENT.
Tenure is not TENACITY.
Tenure is not TOUGHNESS.

Mrazek has shown in his one year on this team more of all three of those qualities of a great hockey player than E has his whole career.

I’m not comparing them to assess Mrazek’s value. The whole hockey community is pretty much in agreement that he’s worth between 4-5 million per season.

I’m comparing them to point out that Holland is a boob who doesn’t know his ass from his elbow when it comes to judging a good contract signing.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 07/26/16 at 09:14 AM ET

Which part don’t you like?

I did not like these quotes, but this is obviously my personal opinion.

“I know that Kenny Holland (the general manager) doesn’t like arbitration,” says Mrazek.

“I know that Detroit will speak against me, but I will tell”

“I’m going with my agents, and we’ll argue for what we want. I’m not afraid about arbitration”

Posted by VPalmer on 07/26/16 at 11:00 AM ET