The Malik Report

Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg to skate soon; Weiss out for year, Ericsson back late 1st round?

Updated 2x at 12:59 PM: I'm still updating the game-day post, but this quip from DetroitRedWings.com's Bill Roose merits its own entry:

#RedWings GM Ken Holland said he believes that captain Henrik Zetterberg (back surgery) will be back on skates sometime next week.

This, from the Windsor Star's Bob Duff, is not good, however:

Holland also indicated that C Stephen Weiss (sports hernia surgery) likely done for year following many setbacks in his recovery process.

Also, confirmation!

#redwings GM Ken Holland said captain Henrik Zetterberg (back surgery) to resume skating next week.

...

Holland indicated earliest return to action for Zetterberg would be late in first round of playoffs. #RedWings

Update: Also, per Roose:

#RedWings Ken Holland also noted Jonathan Ericsson is "Probably out until the middle or late first round, maybe even miss the first round."

The Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness has penned a story about Weiss' status...

“I don’t really know where he’s at,” Wings general manager Ken Holland said Friday after team’s morning skate at Joe Louis Arena. “I know he’s frustrated. He’s not on the horizon to come back. I was just in there talking to Steve, talking to our trainers, everybody is a little bit frustrated because we obviously thought he would be back by now, actually a long time ago. So they’re going through a check list. Everybody’s frustrated. He’s not getting better the way we had hope. We might send him back next week to see the doc who performed surgery, but in the meantime, he continues his rehab.”

Weiss had sports hernia surgery on Dec. 23.

“The doctor who performed the surgery and the doctor in St. Louis, who gave a second opinion, both think that it’s not an issue,” Holland said. “Part of healing is what they call breaking down scar tissue and is it the scar issue, is it some other issue? At this stage of the game I’m not expecting him back this year. I think that’s the way we have to go forward. I mean he’s not even practicing. So I really don’t know what to tell you.”

Update #2: Here's Pleiness on the other two players, starting with Zetterberg:

“I don’t have an exact date but I think next week sometime he’s going to start to put skates on,” Wings general manager Ken Holland said. “Now I don’t know to what extent he’s going to push. I think he’s still waiting for the doctor to give him … But I know on the horizon he’s going to put skates on.”

The Wings won’t have Zetterberg back for the regular season, but expect him to return possibly in the middle of the first round of the playoffs.

“We’re not getting Zetterberg back for anytime in the regular season and if we can play our way into the playoffs don’t expect him to play at the start of the first-round playoff series,” Holland said. “How the last part of the playoff series goes and that’s based upon how Z’s feeling. That’s the timeframe where the doctor had said around eight weeks that he would start giving him some clearance to do some things. Now it depends on how he heals. Eight weeks is probably around the middle of the first round.”

And, regarding Ericsson:

“He can skate whenever,” Holland said. “I know he told me that the doctor told him in the first couple of weeks they don’t want him training and working out for the risk of infection. I know he’s been working hard off ice now, or ramped up the off-ice at some point in time. Skating is not an issue because his injury is a finger.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Like the ol’ Johnny Cash song… “one piece at a time” when it comes to getting these injured guys back into the swing of things.
Hank’s a good ways off from playing obviously, but still good news.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/04/14 at 11:23 AM ET

What a Charlie Foxtrot of a first year with the Wings.

Posted by SYF from Twerkin' with Anastasia Ashley on 04/04/14 at 11:31 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Good news for sure, but please don’t rush Z back…pun intended.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/04/14 at 11:46 AM ET

What a Charlie Foxtrot of a first year with the Wings.

Posted by SYF from the Swedish Ice Mafia on 04/04/14 at 12:31 PM ET

Brent Gilchrist 2.0?

Posted by SYF from Twerkin' with Anastasia Ashley on 04/04/14 at 11:47 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Weiss has been a flop.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 04/04/14 at 12:03 PM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

Question for everyone.  If we make the playoffs and Big E returns, Do you put him back with Kronner or drop him to the second pairing?  It seems like Smith has improved a lot since being paired with Kronwall.

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 04/04/14 at 12:25 PM ET

Sooooo about next year and all these underachieving old guys:

Franzen-Pavs-Z
Jurco-Nyquist-Tatar
Abby-Sheahan-Helm
Glendening-Andersson-Miller

Kronner-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Smith
Lashoff-Kindl

Who goes down when Weiss comes back? Glendening?

I’m assuming Bert, Cleary, Sammy and Legwand wont be resigned (but only God knows what kenny has in mind for Cleary)

What about Alfie? 1 more year if he’s up to it?

Do we resign Quincy? I seriously hope not, but our D is pretty shaky (not that re-signing him would address that). Maybe Almquist or Free Agent?

The future looks really bright, but I hope Kenny doesn’t screw this up be resigning the likes of Cleary and Legwand.

Posted by callmedrw on 04/04/14 at 12:29 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I think that Ericsson will go right back to the first pairing…

And the Wings appear to want to re-sign Alfredsson if he’s interested, I don’t know about Legwand or Gustavsson, and Quincey…Is regrettably a coach’s favorite. I do hope that the Wings make a trade or sign a veteran to a 1-year deal to upgrade the defense, but that’s just me.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/04/14 at 12:34 PM ET

What an embarrassment for Weiss. That said, I don’t see him anywhere but here next year, with a chip on his shoulder.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 04/04/14 at 12:40 PM ET

I hope Weiss turns around next year. It’s just terrible seeing Valterri doing so well in tampa. Lord, if we had Val, Z, datsyuk and big E the last 5 weeks,,, who knows. we may be right behind Boston.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 04/04/14 at 12:57 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Quincey has been pretty rock solid. Not sure why resigning him is soooo terrifying. Obviously if we have the chance to upgrade we should but Quincey has stayed healthy and has been a defensive stalwart. He and Smith have really stepped up since big E went down. If he’s cheap I wouldn’t be upset if we bring him back.

Almquist is a big risk IMO. I think Marchenko is more NHL ready personally

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/04/14 at 01:02 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

This, from the Windsor Star’s Bob Duff, is not good, however:

Personally, I think that’s great news (except for Weiss, of course). The last thing the Wings need is for an out-of-shape Weiss taking a spot away from any of the young guys.

On a related note, I’m not sure how to take what Holland said here…

With his further comments about the doctors saying the pain is a normal thing when dealing with the post-surgery scar tissue, it sounds a bit like Holland is questioning whether Weiss has done all that he can in order to get back this year. Anyone else read it that way?

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/04/14 at 01:07 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I don’t read it that way. Holland and the Wings sent Weiss to their go-to groin specialist, Dr. William Meyers, who’s repaired Osgood, Draper, Chelios, etc.‘s groins and sports hernias, and Weiss has gone back to Meyers repeatedly because he’s the doctor the Wings trust with their players.

I think that Weiss might be pushing himself (still) to come back despite the pain he’s experiencing, and…It seems like the Wings were willing to indulge him, but that they’re getting a little annoyed about the fact that this is turning into a Darren Helm-like, “Okay, you’re in pain, but what’s the difference between ‘normal pain’ and ‘you’re pushing yourself too hard’ pain?” issue.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/04/14 at 01:14 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

So they’re going through a check list. Everybody’s frustrated.

Speaking of frustrating checklists…

Future Centers
1) Pav/Hank check
2) Helm check
3) Weiss check
4) Glendenning/Anderson check

Unneeded in the offseason, David Legwand.  check
Tradeable assets to acquire a Defenseman.
3rd round pick….. N/A
Top Prospect…. N/A.

Hmm…

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Hey Hey Hockeyfart on 04/04/14 at 02:10 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Tradeable assets to acquire a Defenseman.
3rd round pick….. N/A

Unless the Wings manage to screw up these last six games, they’ll make the playoffs. So that means they’ll have to give the Preds their 2nd round pick instead of the 3rd rounder.

Jarnkrok and a 2nd for what Legwand has contributed so far is not a good deal.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/04/14 at 03:05 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Future Centers
1) Pav/Hank check
2) Helm check
3) Weiss check
4) Glendenning/Anderson check

Unneeded in the offseason, David Legwand.  check
Tradeable assets to acquire a Defenseman.
3rd round pick….. N/A
Top Prospect…. N/A.

Hmm…

I think I might take issue with Weiss before Legwand.  There is only a 2 year difference in age.  Legwand has a career +/-  of 12 in the regular season while Weiss is a solid -21.  I think they will have to fight it out come pre-season camp next year if Legwand signs.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 04/04/14 at 03:17 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Franzen-Pavs-Z
Jurco-Nyquist-Tatar
Abby-Sheahan-Helm
Glendening-Andersson-Miller

Additionally, even with a healthy Weiss and the solid play of Glendening, a healthy roster needs another really good center if they want to play Pav and Z together. Jurco, Nyquist, and Tatar all really should be on the wing, and you have too much of the same with Abdelkader, Helm, Glendening, Andersson, and Miller.

Of course, between Pav, Helm, one of Legwand/Weiss, and Sheahan having pretty emphatically earned his way onto the big club, something has to give. None of those guys are 5th centerman. Sure, you could probably play one of them as a wing, but then you have a longjam there with Franzen, Z, Goose, Tatar, and Jurco. Miller and Abdelkader are about as solidly on this club as you can be, too. They are the new Dan Cleary.

Glendening has played his heart out, but your team looks a lot better when he’s your go-to healthy scratch than it does when he plays the majority of the season. Andersson was much better last year than this year, maybe a large part of that was his on-off injuries, but still, it is what it is. Even without his injury trouble, he’s a ways behind what his peers bring to the table in terms of overall skill and unique talents (that is, comparing him to the youth forward logjam of Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Pulkkinen, and Mantha).

This leaves out the very real possibility that Alfredsson has another good year of hockey in the tank and would like to stay with the Wings for it. Despite his age, I’d love to have him back and I think the Wings would be crazy not to fit him in, unless he’s asking for an absurd contract.

So I guess with all that said, Legwand almost does have to be let go, because Weiss has a NMC. In a perfect world, with the emergence of Sheahan, I’d love to see Weiss shipped out, Sheahan the #2 center, and Legwand re-signed as the #3 center.

I’m just amazed that Ken Holland traded for Legwand. It’s a freaking self-indictment. He might has well have just held a press conference and said he had his time machine set for 2009, and that’s why he made the trade.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/04/14 at 03:23 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Legwand’s filled in exactly where we needed it, both in points and leadership. Sure it was a tough trade to swallow, but that’s the nature of the beast. You gotta give up something to get something.

Meanwhile, since the deadline, he’s produced as many points as Gaborik or Callahan and only one less than Vanek. I know he’s had some defensive issues and a was knocked down to the third line for a game, but he’s really picked it up since then and I think all in all, has been a great addition. Frankly, I’d rather have him than Weiss next year. Not sure that’s a possibility, but still my personal preference.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/04/14 at 03:25 PM ET

perfection's avatar

also, I know this is unpopular (even I don’t LIKE the idea), but I’d maybe consider including Helm in a package for a #1/2 dman. Fact is, he’s the only center (Sheahan really should be untouchable at this point) who has enough trade value and yet, objectively speaking, despite being “the best 3rd line center in the league”, hasn’t given us anywhere close to his contractual value in playing time. Whether it’s bad luck or if he’s just brittle, does it really seem like he’s ever going to start playing full seasons? For a guy who totally depends on his speed, I think he’s not only going to suffer more injuries, but these are going to start taking an accumulative toll on his number one skill. I know when he shows up and is healthy his assets just seem too alluring to give up, but we have a logjam at center and we NEED a top-2 dman… and there just doesn’t seem to be any we can sign for free. I think Helm may be the one guy other teams would jump at who actually could also be a risk to keep.

But maybe it’s the opposite… maybe his injuries actually have made his trade value shrink, while his potential upside for the Wings is worth keeping him around for. I don’t know. Just considering it as a possibility.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/04/14 at 03:34 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by calquake on 04/04/14 at 04:17 PM ET

Legwand almost has to be re-signed. If they don’t re-sign him, it takes the Jarnkrok trade from a “For real?” to “FML.” Not re-signing Legwand would be a full-on indictment that Ken Holland’s mind is stuck in a 2010 mindset, and that he was not able to objectively assess what was best for his team in 2014 and forward.sted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/04/14 at 04:23 PM ET

The only way to keep Oldlegswand is to move Weiss, and $5mln a year for four more years for a guy who hasn’t played in 2 years now isn’t necessarily moveable.

Holland got fleeced, plain and simple. He could’ve picked up more more value at the Wing position and moved Abby back to the middle for those 3 weeks, at least then he could’ve had an asset he could consider signing. He says last minute well that’s on him too for allowing the decision to his star center to be dragged out to an hour before the trade deadline.

I will give him credit for the picks and prospects he’s developed,even though that’s really more organizational, but his direct impact trades free agents, and inability to make trades the last 4-5 years has been brutal.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Hey Hey Hockeyfart on 04/04/14 at 03:46 PM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

I’d like to know what leads people to think that Ken Holland was negotiating from a position of strength at the trade deadline.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 04/04/14 at 06:29 PM ET

Because the defense needs to get better, not stay the same.

In order to complain about the trade you might want to try to understand why he had to make the trade.

Detroit had no top six centres and the young team needed leadership.

Moving Abdelkader back to centre solves exactly zero of those problems.  He’s not a top six forward at all, much less a top six centre.

He also lost Helm the game before the deadline.  That would mean that Andersson was their #1 centre.  Nevermind that he got injured the next game or that he sat tonight while two AHLers stayed in the game.

Posted by Garth on 04/04/14 at 09:50 PM ET