The Malik Report

Riley Sheahan Realizes He May Be Headed Back To Grand Rapids

"The first few times I got called up, I wasn't really taking advantage of the opportunity and now I feel a lot more comfortable and confident."

"I think I've just been going out every day and trying to work my hardest. My spot here isn't solidified. I think I'm going to have to spend more time in Grand Rapids but I'm trying to make the most of my opportunity here. (Coach Mike Babcock) always says take your piece of the cake so I think that's what I'm trying to do.

"I'm just trying to make plays and use my size to my advantage and things like that. It's nice he feels confident putting our line out there and I think we're performing pretty well. With the injuries, they know they need some help and I think the guys in Grand Rapids have been doing a good job with that."

That's Riley Sheahan after last night's game.  More from Brendan Savage of Mlive.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

EDJ's avatar

The “More” link is not there.

Posted by EDJ on 01/25/14 at 10:28 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Not enough coffee for me EDJ, fixed.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/25/14 at 10:32 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Riley Sheahan Realizes He May Be Headed Back To Grand Rapids

MISTAKE!!!!!!!

Posted by Hootinani on 01/25/14 at 11:54 AM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

HUGE MISTAKE !!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/25/14 at 12:28 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Unfortunately (insert Kenny Holland generic slam here) the Wings probably don’t have a choice. I’m not sure I’d fret too much; there’s probably 3 vets that won’t be resigned next year, though I sort of hope Bert will stick around. I think he provides something to this team that Sammy (hahahahahaha) and a one-legged Cleary doesn’t.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 01/25/14 at 12:56 PM ET

I feel the same way mrfluffy.
Kinda. I life what Bert brings that nobody else does. But…
  The issue is that are the kids below waiting for a space a better bet to help them win than what they have already? I’ve seen people argue for keeping miller and Eaves. The only problem is that they have never scored many goals and are declining. Eaves scored at about 1G/5games 5 years ago. Now he’s down to 1 per 10. Miller hasn’t really been consistent enough to even plot out any type of tendency reasonably. If I had to, I would say one goal in 7 games 5 ears ago and 1 in 10 now. These guys aren’t supposed to bring a lot of offense, but if they want to come anywhere near breaking even, they need to score 10 goals/yr. They aren’t getting there anymore. Bert’s hanging out at 1 in 8 this year. Just behind Andersson. Given a choice between Bert and joakim this year and next? I would probably say Bert. But what do they do with Andersson?
  I’ve gotten to the point that even though Alfredsson scores more goals, I would rather see him off the team next year because the Wings can bring up someone like Jurco for $700k next year and less than a $2M for probably another 3 years after that.

I don’t know what I would do with the roster, but I would be very leery of signing just about anyone who is an unrestricted free agent next year. My thoughts would be the only one who deserves a spot on the team would be Alfie and I’m not so sure about him.

Posted by teldar on 01/25/14 at 01:20 PM ET

Man, we need shooters on this team.  Bert always looks to pass first or look for second chances/rebounds.  I’ve rarely seen him just shoot like Shanny or Hull.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/25/14 at 02:02 PM ET

Mantha had a 5 point game last night. Can’t wait to see how well he can do at the AHL level. Here’s hoping he get’s a call up next season and plays his way onto the team. We really need someone with his size and skill on the power play.

Posted by IMOrthodox13 on 01/25/14 at 03:36 PM ET