The Malik Report

Riley Sheahan On The Competition At Center

from Bob Duff of The Windsor Star,

Detroit’s first-round draft pick in 2010, the 6-2, 212-pound Sheahan will be among a group of centres that include veterans Pavel Datsyuk, Darren Helm and Joakim Andersson, fellow second-year NHLer Luke Glendening and Stephen Weiss, a veteran free-agent addition last season who missed all but 26 games due to sports hernia surgery. Minor leaguer Landon Ferraro, who saw action with Detroit in four games last season, was also signed to a new contract.

“There’s definitely going to be some intensity in camp,” Sheahan said. “Obviously every guy is working hard and they want to solidify their spot.

“Right now you just got to focus on what you can do to make yourself better, go into camp with a good work ethic and go from there.

“I think if I go into camp with the same mindset and try to take that spot I had last year . . . there’s obviously going to be other guys trying to do the same thing. It’s going to be a little bit of a challenge, but it’s going to be healthy.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

perfection's avatar

while I’ve read the slew of arguments of why people think “over ripening” kids is counter productive, I think Sheahan is the poster-boy for Holland’s “over-ripening” strategy. he was a big, first round, power forward that could play PP, PK, offense and defense. He was definitely a tempting player to bring up early. But they chose to let the immature boy who got arrested once while playing 3 years in college and then arrested again to start his pro career in the AHL develop, win a championship and learn how to be a pro all while maturing into this still extremely young 22 year old man who is gushing confidence. His time ripening not only set him up for what’s looking like a promising career, but it perhaps also saved him from crashing and burning. Immature kids like him who are thrown to the sharks too early tend to end up the ones who become reclamation projects the second half of their careers on different teams or simply never live up to their potential. Instead, Sheahan is already a hugely productive NHL player and should be a Wing for a longtime to come. He actually might be on a path of surpassing all expectations. He’s big, smart, talented, and versatile. Who knows his upside at this point?

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 08/22/14 at 02:46 PM ET

I don’t think the hatred is about over over ripening.  It’s about blocking them with washed up has-been once they have been over ripened.  Like Nyquist. And Tatar. Not yet like Jurco because he could use more ripening,  maybe. I would say he’s on the edge of is just ripe.  But he’s definitely being blocked.

Posted by teldar on 08/22/14 at 03:38 PM ET

^ Well said!

I love the way he parks in front of the net. Definitely something that we need more of with Bert and Homer leaving. Cleary, and Abs are ok in front of the net but Sheahan looks like a natural, Im really hoping he makes the team and stays in the 3rd line/kid line type slot.

Posted by Shanny_Fan on 08/22/14 at 03:54 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I’ve said it so many times I bore myself: there is no rational reason to have Abdelkader on the roster when you have Riley Sheahan.

Posted by MoreShoot on 08/22/14 at 03:57 PM ET

I think the argument against overripening is more that people who prove themselves in Grand Rapids aren’t promoted to the NHL and rather have to continue playing in a league that they have developed past.

I don’t think Sheahan qualifies as overripe.  He decided to play in college (and this might be semantics, but Detroit didn’t choose to allow him to play in college, though they may have chosen to draft him because he was going to college) and then graduated to the NHL in his second pro league.

Posted by Garth on 08/22/14 at 04:17 PM ET

Posted by MoreShoot on 08/22/14 at 03:57 PM ET

I completely agree.

Posted by Garth on 08/22/14 at 04:18 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 08/22/14 at 03:57 PM ET

Time for some mind expansion.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/22/14 at 05:07 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Sheahan played well as a sheltered 3rd line center. I don’t particularly see a reason to change that role for him.  What I’m most interested in is seeing what happens between Helm and Sheahan.  I don’t think there’s a realistic expectation that Andersson, Glendening, or Ferraro are going to overtake Sheahan on the depth chart, but I do expect Weiss to move Sheahan down.

I’m curious to see whether the battle for 3rd/4th center comes down between Helm and Sheahan and which player gets moved to the wing to accommodate things. Personally, I’d like to see Helm tried out as a breakout winger knowing that he could take back over as the 3rd center if Sheahan struggles.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/22/14 at 05:14 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I wish I was as confident as you that Weiss will be better than Sheahan. If Weiss’ play actually does relegate Sheahan to the third line, we are going to have a pretty strong forward group. And you’re right, does Helm slide over? Or does he take third line center and Sheahan fourth? Or vice versa? Where does that leave Andersson and Glenny? It will fun to watch this play out.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 08/22/14 at 09:12 PM ET