The Malik Report

Right Now, That Is One Big If

via Eric Duhatschek of the Globe and Mail,

The Detroit Red Wings may get centre Darren Helm back this week and if that doesn’t sound like a big deal, think of it this way. Helm will slot in on a two-top role – behind David Legwand – because of injuries that have sidelined, among others, Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk and Stephen Weiss.

The fact that Detroit is still scratching out wins and staying within hailing distance of a playoff spot is reminiscent of last year, when they did it as well, and then knocked off a higher-seeded Anaheim team and had Chicago on the ropes before ultimately faltering.

The Red Wings scare everybody just because if they make it and they get healthy, they will be a dangerous lower-seeded team again.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MoreShoot's avatar

Helm back tomorrow or Thursday a must.  Weiss soon after also a must.  I don’t think much chance otherwise, simply because it seems the other fellas could use some relief.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/17/14 at 01:15 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Z would not be back until the Eat Final (as per Holland), so even if they get into the playoffs , I see no East final.

Shut Pav, Z down and play the kids, especially some GR D Men Kids

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/17/14 at 01:17 PM ET

Even if Weiss can come back by the weekend and Helm this week. Can we really expect a lot out of Weiss? He hasn’t played in over 3 months. Takes time to get your legs back.

Posted by tmoore4075 on 03/17/14 at 01:23 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

If it moved Cory Emmerton back to GR it would be an improvement whatever Weiss’ conditioning level

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/17/14 at 01:27 PM ET

Touche. lol

Posted by tmoore4075 on 03/17/14 at 01:34 PM ET

Can you tell me where Holland said that?  He was singing a very different tune at the deadline.

Posted by captaineclectic on 03/17/14 at 01:49 PM ET

\

I too am curious about this. The last thing I remember reading was the first round, not ECF’s.

But here’s bad news from Khan: Helm has set back, Weiss going for another opinion. Sorry kids, I think this the end of the playoff streak.

Posted by tmoore4075 on 03/17/14 at 02:07 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I concede.  We are cooked.  Wait till we are mathematically out, then make some releases and call up some more GRs.  Might as well find out if Sproul is another Smith (I fear he is).

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/17/14 at 02:26 PM ET

The season is over. They played last night like the knew it too, no intensity, no desperation. Its the best thing for the organization, they need to understand they’ve fallen behind the curve, injuries or not. The standard has dropped from building for Cups to building for playoff appearances. I expect numerous changes and the Wings to be very aggressive in free agency.

Posted by jpellek on 03/17/14 at 03:01 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Posted by jpellek on 03/17/14 at 03:01 PM ET

I so a lot of intensity against the Black Hawks. I also think you’re other points miss a little wide.

* It’s no surprise to the Front Office that we don’t have an elite roster, we’ve all known since the Spring of 2012 that we were looking at a 3-year rebuild-on-the-fly and right now is Year-2.

* Don’t expect anything aggressive in Free Agency, we MAY try to re-sign Legwand, and we MAY look for an inexpensive top-4 D… that’s it. We have the talent we need right now for the Forwards and the Goalies, and if we don’t have the talent with the Defenseman(and we don’t unless the org. values Kindl more than it currently seems) I’d expect us focus on a smaller-FA or a middling-trade instead of a blockbuster.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 03/17/14 at 07:00 PM ET