The Malik Report

Reputation call defined: Luke Glendening gets a ‘Homer’ when Braden Holtby trips

Because I'm too pissed off about this to rationally discuss it, I'll leave it to video.

Here is what happened when Braden Holtby tripped into the goalpost with Luke Glendening about ten feet away from him, and Drew Miller scored as a result:

And then Mike Babcock asked Pierre McGuire about the replay:

Thank you, Mike Leggo, for another Tomas Holmstrom-style, "If he is in the general vicinity of the net, CLEARLY the Wing committed some sort of goaltender interference penalty" call.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Bradley97's avatar

And right after that the Wings received a makeup call. At least there is consistency in inconsistency, and consistency in makeup calls.  tongue rolleye

Posted by Bradley97 on 10/29/14 at 07:51 PM ET

Saw that…(As an impartial observer) I was, like “Whaaaaaaaaaaat the *bleeeeep*?”

Ineptitude would be a step up, in light of such [lacking anything but an expletive to insert here] officiating.

Sad clownshow reffing. Woof.

Posted by icehound on 10/29/14 at 08:01 PM ET

Posted by Bradley97 on 10/29/14 at 08:51 PM ET

I must have missed when Washington scored a goal and then had it taken away for no reason.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/29/14 at 08:24 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

clearly there was “intent to trip” ... penalty justified

rolleyes

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/29/14 at 08:31 PM ET

...No matter what two teams are playing, and what officiating gymnastics are employed to balance the imaginary scales, that’s still some sad clownshow reffing.

Posted by icehound on 10/29/14 at 08:42 PM ET

Leggo learned from the best in Walkom and O’Rourke.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 10/29/14 at 09:12 PM ET

BenjaminKGT500's avatar

I’m really glad I don’t get NBCSN because I would have scared the crap out of my dogs with the yelling

If I made a mistake like that at my work (like crashing into a bus full of nuns and orphans), I’d be out of a job. Leggo should be too. Suspended at least

Posted by BenjaminKGT500 on 10/30/14 at 06:36 AM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Thank gary bettman law firm and his GM buddies who refuse to install challenge flag for bench bosses.
Should we expect anything different from a league ran by a NY lawyer.

Babcock is disgusted as are many hockey fans across the globe while weasels in front office don’t care just happy money coming in and league parity.

Posted by Slumpy from Under My Wheels on 10/30/14 at 06:56 AM ET

How is this an acceptable standard of competence for a multi-billion dollar enterprise?

Posted by teldar on 10/30/14 at 06:56 AM ET

By adding a second referee….they seem to have doubled the level of incompetence….and the number of bad calls.

As bad calls go, this one was one of the most blatant I have ever seen. Like so many of them though, a proper review would have overruled the brain cramp these officials seem to have on a nightly basis. Actually, in fairness to them, the game is too fast for them to get it right all the time, and they really ought to employ video review of all goals.

That review would have taken about 2 seconds and the Wings could have moved into a lead instead of having to suffer the indignity of killing off a penalty when they should have been rewarded with a goal.

That is three really bad calls the officials have pulled on the Wings so far…and we are still in October. Two resulted in points lost….will this come back to haunt the Wings later this year?….or could it stop their 23-year playoff run?

Posted by NewfieWing on 10/30/14 at 09:49 AM ET