The Malik Report

Report- Ryan Martin Expected To Replace Nill In Detroit

from Doug Harrison of CBC,

The Red Wings are expected to promote Ryan Martin, the current assistant GM of hockey administration for the Red Wings, to take over for Nill, a married father of two daughters and one son.

“I’m looking for somebody like Jim Nill,” said Holland when asked what his search for Nill’s successor would involve. “It’s experiences, work ethic, knowledge and gut instincts. It’s having a plan.

read on for more on Jim Nill leaving the organization with more quotes from Holland...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

What a poorly-written first sentence that got quoted.  So Martin is taking over Nill’s parental duties?  I mean, really… And if Martin is the current assistant GM as the quote says, what was Nill?  I’m incredibly confused.  Poor job by CBC informing and you know, WRITING.

That said, I know nothing about Martin.  I could name scouts in the Wings org and guys on staff in Grand Rapids even (thanks EHM!), but have no clue who he is.  WIIM tweeted “That’s why Yzerman wanted to take this guy” about Martin, but no familiarity with that ever being said when Yzerman left or anything…

Can anyone give me further info on him?  I’m certainly not going to get it from the Ceeb apparently…

And kudos to Nill.  He does and has deserved a shot, and props to him for staying loyal for a number of years even when he had shots externally.  I almost feel sorry that it’s in DAL that he’ll get his shot though, I fear he won’t get all the resources and help he needs.  I wonder if the Wings weren’t moving East if he’d have taken it (and come to think of it, holy crap we’ll be in a division with Yzerman next season)...

And here’s hoping Nill’s not anywhere near as crucial to the Wings succeess as some people have stated.

Posted by Primis on 04/29/13 at 11:52 AM ET

Primis's avatar

NM, I Googled him and “capologist” came up and then it triggered a bit finally.

Have any capologists made the leap to NHL GM with any real success?  Wasn’t Howson one of these (and we all know how that turned out)?

Posted by Primis on 04/29/13 at 11:59 AM ET

After having said this days before, Holland knees me in the nuts…and righteously.

Congrats to Ryan.  Tipping a mug full of Java’s finest to him.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/29/13 at 12:08 PM ET

He’s been in charge of managing the cap ad long as there’s been a cap. I can’t say in charge of player management, but a reasonable portion of it.

Posted by teldar on 04/29/13 at 12:32 PM ET

Primis, the closest I can think of a capologist to becoming a GM is the Bolts’ Julien BriseBois.  He is also the GM of the Syracuse Crunch of the AHL.  BriseBois also manages the cap issues as AGM for Yzerman.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/29/13 at 12:38 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Nah, problem in Cbus was Priest AND Howson.  Priest because of the monetary moves they’d make and Howson because of his tentativeness as a GM and inability to form a “plan”

Priest was the accountant in charge of making sure Howson made fiscally prudent moves inside the teams self imposed cap.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/29/13 at 01:56 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Soooooooo when do we bring Stevie Y back home?

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 04/29/13 at 02:20 PM ET

My biggest concern is who is running the draft this year? Usually a GM isn’t involved with his new team until after the draft. Is Nill going to draft the guys he’s been scouting for the wings for the last year?

Posted by teldar on 04/29/13 at 02:50 PM ET

Primis's avatar

The only other capologists around the league I’m the least bit aware of is Jason Botterill in PIT, and that’s because I remember watching him play in Kalamazoo for MIN/DAL’s system, and as a former player he gets a bit more ink in the media.  Otherwise, these cap guys are very off-the-radar.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/29/13 at 02:56 PM ET

Wasn’t Howson cap guy in EDM before though, or was he just Asst. GM?

Posted by Primis on 04/29/13 at 03:34 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I thought Howson was Asst. GM in EDM, but he could very well have been a Ryan Martin type who’s a defacto Asst. GM.

Either way, EDM and CBJ show Howson wasn’t great at managing the cap if that was his job.  Didn’t get a lot of bang for his buck, as KKleinen has shown.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/29/13 at 04:55 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I do know that while he was in Cbus, he couldn’t make moves without being approved by Priest who was essentially an appointed accounted, appointed by the teams board, to mitigate financial losses.  Hence why they kept losing, instead of making good hockey moves and having a hockey plan like the new GM has shown.

can’t play on house money forever.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/29/13 at 04:56 PM ET