The Malik Report

Red Wings will go up to 11 against Penguins

Not good news: MLive’s Ansar Khan reports that the Red Wings’ medical staff has chosen to keep Pavel Datsyuk (“lower-body”), Johan Franzen (he apparently has a groin injury) and Jiri Hudler (flu) out of the Wings’ lineup for Monday night’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins, meaning that the Wings will dress 11 forwards and 7 defensemen once again:

“We’re anticipating Hudler, Franzen and Datsyuk all out tomorrow,’’ [Red Wings GM Ken] Holland said. “They’re all day to day. We’ll see as we go.’‘

Defenseman Ruslan Salei will return to the lineup after being away for a week to be with his wife, who had their third child.

The Red Wings will dress 11 forwards and seven defensemen. They have no other alternative. They can’t recall a player from the Grand Rapids Griffins because they don’t have the salary cap space, Holland said.

There are only two ways they would recall a player: If Chris Osgood were healthy and could dress, it would enable them to send Joey MacDonald down and use his cap space. Of they could put someone on long-term injured reserve.

I wouldn’t necessarily be surprised to see the Wings experiment with Jakub Kindl as a forward from time to time…And Khan also posted an article regarding the Wings’ takes on the head-shot debate this morning, too.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MsRedWinger's avatar

And the rest of the team who gotten beaten and battered by the Predgoons now get to face the Pengoons.  Wonderful.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/20/11 at 04:53 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

...who “got”...  (sorry)

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/20/11 at 04:53 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

sick

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/20/11 at 04:55 PM ET

Crow's avatar

Babs could put Ericsson on one of the forward lines.  He can bang and cause havoc in front of the crease.  Also, if one of the pengoons gets out of hand he lay some hurt on them.

Posted by Crow on 03/20/11 at 04:59 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Geebuz George, you need one of those goal light things to warn us when you post that sort of great news.

Also, if one of the pengoons gets out of hand he lay some hurt on them.

I can’t remember Big E doing that but once this season (of course I do have some-timers).

I wish someone on DET would stand up - - at least every once in a while.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/20/11 at 05:04 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Howabout Ericsson instead? I cringe when he’s got the puck in the defensive zone these days, but he always looks decent when he’s carrying the puck low in the attacking zone. Hell, park him net front on the PP.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 03/20/11 at 05:41 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I should read all of the comments first so I’m not just echoing what Crow already said.

And we get to deal with Versucks again for that game don’t we. Crap.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 03/20/11 at 05:43 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

If some of those inactive Red Wings need something to do, maybe they can gang up on Cooke. Cooke deserves a beating just for being an idiot. Done with Cooke talk. Good luck tomorrow.

Posted by cs6687 on 03/20/11 at 05:45 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Wonder what’s really wrong with Huds.  Seems odd to rule him out of a game a day in advance with the flu.  He could wake up tomorrow and be fine.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 03/20/11 at 05:53 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Hmmm, no Datsyuk, Franzen, Malkin, or Crosby.  Kinda takes all the intrigue outta it.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 03/20/11 at 05:56 PM ET

SK77's avatar

With a flu this bad – and Happy playing as poorly as he is again – I’m telling him to stay far, far away from the locker room.

Posted by SK77 on 03/20/11 at 06:19 PM ET

Damn…

After the craptacular Preds assault and shafty ref job from Walkom last night, now Jobu is coughing up this spastic hairball of an injury run.

“Runs.”  Heh…

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 03/20/11 at 08:05 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 03/20/11 at 04:56 PM ET

Yeah…that kind of sucks doesn’t it?

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 03/20/11 at 11:56 PM ET

Right now Detroit isn’t even a lock for home ice in the first round. They could just as easily finish 5th or 6th as they could 2nd. Every point for them is huge right now, as it is for practically every team, and the fact that Dats and Franzen are sitting out against Pitt tomorrow makes me very nervous….to me it has the appearance of injuries that are considerably more serious than the Wings are letting on…or than I’d care to imagine. I really don’t know of course, and hope that I’m wrong.

Also, the next time a player runs a blindside hit on your CAPTAIN (and one of the most decorated, respected and celebrated players in the history of the game), couldn’t someone make an exception for once and give it right back?....ten fold. Abs, Big E even Stuart should’ve broken their lame-ass composite right across the back of Legwand’s knee on his next shift. I mean, it’s not as if the officials would have called it anyway.

Posted by godblender on 03/21/11 at 01:20 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 03/20/11 at 04:56 PM ET

I know.  Hank can’t make Shrek and Rosby his bitches like he normally would.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 03/21/11 at 10:57 AM ET