The Malik Report

Red Wings to hold presser with Chris Osgood, Ken Holland at 12 PM on Tuesday

Per the Red Wings’ Twitter account:

The Red Wings have scheduled a media conference call with Chris Osgood and Ken Holland at noon tomorrow.

So he’ll retire or he won’t…either way we will know by tomorrow at this time.

Update: The Free Press’s Helene St. James reports that Osgood will return for at least one more season.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

EDJ's avatar

I’m confused… why would they hold a presser if he wasn’t retiring? Wouldn’t they just say that they had begun negotiations over a contract?

Posted by EDJ on 07/18/11 at 07:14 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

We know you’re a blogger and all and supposed to supposedly remain above simple fandom, but what say you, Sir George?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/18/11 at 07:17 PM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

My opinion is simple - it has to be retirement/new role in the RedWings organization - otherwise - why hold a presser?

Posted by joedaiceman on 07/18/11 at 07:19 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Sounds like we will be saying goodbye to Osgood the goalie and hello to Osgood the uhhh we have a Jim Bedard already, what might Ozzie do?

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 07/18/11 at 07:21 PM ET

cementslinger's avatar

what might Ozzie do?

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 07/18/11 at 05:21 PM ET

He always said he liked to hang out with the Tigers and do some catching coaching or something like that.

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 07/18/11 at 07:34 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

The Detroit Red Wings would like to introduce NEW Asst. Goalie Coach ... Chris Osgood.

That’ll give Bedard to work more with the younger goalies throughout the organ-i-zation.

I’d also anticipate a Conklin signing a few hours after the press conference.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 07/18/11 at 07:34 PM ET

rrasco's avatar

Farewell Wizard of Oz, the times were good..

Posted by rrasco from TEXAS on 07/18/11 at 07:37 PM ET

Freep are implying that it’s Osgood’s return that’s expected to be announced tomorrow.  I’d rather he retired and got a new role, but I think he’ll be back as backup.

Posted by KR from IE on 07/18/11 at 07:39 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

As St. James suggests, I think he’s coming back.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/18/11 at 08:08 PM ET

Or the other way around.

Either way, it’s an interesting thought, what with the recent announcement of the Red Wings taking complete control of the Griffins.

Posted by Garth on 07/18/11 at 08:28 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Presser to announce to resigning, huh. Why bother with the fuss if Osgood is just resigning?
Big Osgood fan but injuries mounting telling his body it may be time to hang it up. See Khabibulin and Giguere getting same signals from their bodies.
We need a backup we can rely on to be healthy.
The Griffins need a GM yes? Train Osgood to work with Nill running that team.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 07/18/11 at 08:34 PM ET

rrasco's avatar

I saw the Freep article, but I’m in the same boat as everyone else, why a presser if just a resigning?  Recent evidence tells us we should expect a retirement.  Rafalski, presser = retired.  Lidstrom, no presser = not retired.

I’d love it more than anybody if Ozzy kept playing, but I also tend to think that, sadly, it is time.  I knew he could very well hang them up this year, and I actually expected it, but after this headline popped up, I had a melancholy feeling come over me. If he’s coming back, great, I hope his body holds up to it and we all eat crow.  If not, farewell, Ozzy Ozzy Ozzy…

Posted by rrasco from TEXAS on 07/18/11 at 08:58 PM ET

monkey's avatar

It’s not a press conference, it’s a conference call.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/18/11 at 09:29 PM ET

rrasco's avatar

Posted by monkey from bat country on 07/18/11 at 07:29 PM ET

You are correct, sir.  I read presser and thought it was, you know, a presser.  I do agree now, they are resigning Osgood.  I can’t say I’m disappointed, I loves me some Ozzy.  Now let’s hope his body (read: groin) holds up.

Posted by rrasco from TEXAS on 07/19/11 at 01:36 AM ET