The Malik Report

Red Wings tell Jagr to bug off, too

Awesome, per the Sporting News’s Craig Custance:

Red Wings are also out on Jagr.

Nick Cotsonika of Yahoo Sports confirms:

As per @CraigCustance and @kausatoday, Red Wings are out on Jagr, too. Teams like Pens and Wings were going to take risk on their terms.

USA Today’s Kevin Allen and the Windsor Star’s Bob Duff confirm.

Update: Per the Free Press’s Helene St. James:

General manager Ken Holland told the Free Press today that the Wings “are out on Jagr. We made an offer and he doesn’t want it, so we’re done.”

Update #2: Elegantly put, by FSD’s Art Regner:

Souces close to the team say Jagr’s camp was just too slow and too flighty, which tested the Red Wings’ patience.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

monkey's avatar

Kenny wouldn’t go for Richards unless Richards called

Ha.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/01/11 at 02:07 PM ET

They better get cracking on dumping Hudler so they can keep Draper.

Um, no thanks.  I mean, yeah for sure on the Hudler part, but how about a top-six forward instead of another bottom-three?

Posted by Garth on 07/01/11 at 02:09 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Trade away Hudler for a bag of moldy twinkies and the Wings would have almost $14 million left to play with.  I still say Richards is not unthinkable, but I also think I write his name too much.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/01/11 at 02:10 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/01/11 at 01:09 PM ET

I’d rather they had Draper than Hudler, but if Holland can get someone better than Draper, that would be great.  We are pretty set in the grinder department.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/01/11 at 02:13 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Ian White = poor man’s Brian Rafalski

An undersized D-man, does a lot of the same things as Raffi, just not quite as well.  The one exception is that, particularly for his size, he does have a cannon of a shot.  Right-handed point man on the PP.  Could be a good signing if the money isn’t off-the-charts crazy.  In this market though, who knows?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/01/11 at 02:13 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

I know Kenny doesn’t do it but there is enough money to offer sheet drew doughty or Zach Bogosian

Posted by tkfergy on 07/01/11 at 02:16 PM ET

I’d rather they had Draper than Hudler

I don’t see it as an either/or situation.

Hudler sucks, dump him.
I love Draper, but there’s no room for him.  As it stands we’ve got a logjam of bottom-six forwards.

If it’s Draper or anyone it’s Draper or Emmerton, and either one is going to be the 13th/14th forward, so I’d rather not lose Emmerton for one year Draper playing 40 games…

Posted by Garth on 07/01/11 at 02:23 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Garth, do you enjoy arguments for arguments sake?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/01/11 at 02:26 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Jagr signed by Flyers. WOW

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 07/01/11 at 02:27 PM ET

Cliff's avatar

$3.3M for Jagr?  He just had to have more than Ericsson.

Posted by Cliff on 07/01/11 at 02:36 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

$3.3M for Jagr?  He just had to have more than Ericsson.

Posted by Cliff on 07/01/11 at 01:36 PM ET

Philly overspends again, in all likelihood.  After weeks of Red Wings-Pittsburgh-Montreal thrown at us he signs with Philly.  ROFL.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/01/11 at 02:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Jovo 4 year deal to Florida, says NHL.

Our D is going to have to grow up fast.  This can be done with structure and discipline, however the offensive plus of Rafalski looks harder and harder to replace.  Rookie of Year = Smith?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/01/11 at 02:53 PM ET

monkey's avatar

$3.3M for Jagr?  He just had to have more than Ericsson.

Hey now, Jagr should put up 10 goals and 10 assists easy.  Flyers are lucky to get him so cheap.  Watch for Pierre McGuire to rave about how “smart” this was.

Wait, wait-  I think I hear something.  It’s… it’s Flyers fans.  They’re chanting something…  Fire Millen?  No, no that doesn’t make sense.  “Fire Holmgren thump thump thumpthumpthump. Fire Holmgren”.  Yeah, that’s it.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/01/11 at 02:57 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Watch for Pierre McGuire to rave about how “smart” this was.

The Douche Canoe knows it’s important for Philly to get a big scoring forward, because they’ve lost Lindros to post-concussive symptoms and LeClair and Renberg to retirement.  They need to offset those losses quickly.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 07/01/11 at 03:07 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Holmgren + blow it up and start over…rinse, repeat

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/01/11 at 03:08 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

oops, should be “Holmgren =”

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/01/11 at 03:09 PM ET

Cliff's avatar

$3.3 M for Jagr… we could’ve had Kopecky for that money!

Posted by Cliff on 07/01/11 at 03:10 PM ET

Curley's avatar

No one wants to play in DET anymore.  You fans sound like TOR fans.  God’s gift to hockey? How about “Slumtown” instead of “Hockeytown”. Oh and how ‘bout them Wolverines? Pistons? Lions?

Posted by Curley on 07/01/11 at 03:16 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

! riddle me this Batman ! Holmgren Trades Carter & Richards because they were disruptive & bad influences in the Locker room & they turn around & sign Jagr The Petulant Bi-Polar manchild ?

Posted by Evilpens on 07/01/11 at 03:25 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Posted by Curley on 07/01/11 at 02:16 PM ET

Fail.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/01/11 at 03:43 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by Curley on 07/01/11 at 02:16 PM ET

Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t see you there.

What?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/01/11 at 03:47 PM ET

« Previous        < 1 2