The Malik Report

Red Wings reveal jersey numbers for new players, and Mike Commodore will wear 22, not 64

One of the first things that disappears from one’s itinerary on vacation involves checking Twitter, so Sportsline’s Brian Stubits very thankfully brings to our attention a Red Wings-related “Tweet” of very significant note from DetroitRedWings.com’s Bill Roose:

The new #RedWings will wear the following jersey numbers this season: @commie22 (22); White (18); Conklin (29), Conner (41) and Exelby (3).

I’m guessing that things went off the rails for Commodore when the Commodore computer company’s new owner went ape over making money from Commodore’s cross-promotional possibilities. I hope that the Puck Daddy charitable pledge-o-thon will still go through—it was a great idea, but when things get corporate…

Commodore himself hasn’t stated anything via his Twitter account but I’m sure we’ll get a write-up sooner than later from the Puck Daddy crew.

Updated 3x at 3:35 PM: From Commodore himself...

I guess word is out that I will be wearing 22 this year. It was a really tough decision that I went back and forth on many times….. wearing 64 would have been neat and cool, but I just didn’t feel like this was the right year to do it. In my opinion getting an…opportunity to play in Detroit is a special thing, and I felt like I needed to wear a # that is special to me. 22 is that # for me…I really appreciate the interest and support the #64 generated, I wish @Commodore64 all the best with there computers, as a matter a fact I…am going to order one when I get to Detroit, and I will get in touch with @wyshynski about the $64 pledges, and I will match it and donate…money to charity. Which charity that is I don’t know yet, but I will figure it that out in sept when I get to Detroit.
...
my bad…I meant @CommodoreUSA…not commodore 64. I also meant “their computers” not “there computers”. #NotaStrongWriter Now I need to sign off. I have a hockey tourney in Vegas I need to pack for and dominate. Stay Single My Friends.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Figured White would wear 3. Gonna be weird seeing someone other than Maltby with #18 now.

Kinda glad Commie will be 22 to be honest. Love the reference but…not that much.

Posted by tmoore4075 on 07/27/11 at 04:03 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

First let me say that I hope the Commodore 64 money goes to charity anyway, after it all its for a good cause.

Then let me say BWAHAHAHAHA.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/27/11 at 04:03 PM ET

Good.  The whole #64 thing was pretty stupid, really.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/27/11 at 04:06 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Commodore just gave decent props to Drapes. So far…seems like a standup teammate. Here’s hoping Kenny has another Belle Tire retread in the making.

White is wearing #18 eh? Can’t wait until the first time I’m cussing at 18 on the TV…

“G****mmit Malt…er…White!”

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/27/11 at 04:07 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

A classy move by Commodore to match the money raised for Commodore 64 and donate it to charity. I think he made the right decision by standing by what feels right for him and then avoiding potential criticism by donating the same amount himself.

Posted by EDJ on 07/27/11 at 04:31 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Okay, I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for Commodore (being a fellow ginger and all—THAT’S OUR WORD), but this:

In my opinion getting an opportunity to play in Detroit is a special thing, and I felt like I needed to wear a # that is special to me. 22 is that # for me…

That pretty much sealed the deal.  Like Bertuzzi, I’m definitely rooting for Commodore now.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 07/27/11 at 04:35 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

Stay Single My Friends.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 07/27/11 at 04:39 PM ET

red_wings_49's avatar

Stay single my friends?  What the h?

At least he realizes that he’s getting a 2nd chance here… (at least with Babcock) and to prove that he is the real deal with coming to Detroit.

Posted by red_wings_49 from Mad Heights, MI on 07/27/11 at 04:41 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Cool. The Double Deuce. Commie’s new nickname should be Dalton.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/27/11 at 04:46 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I like the guy already.  Saying that getting the opportunity to play in Detroit is special to him… and the “Stay single my friends” made me chuckle.  Sounds like he has a good sense of humor, which will be good in the locker room, not to mention with the press.

I do feel like it’s a bit soon to hand out Maltby’s number…  What was White’s number in SJ?  I’ve forgotten…

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/27/11 at 04:48 PM ET

Oh thank God that’s over.  Good on Commie to match up and then remember his priorities.

Cool. The Double Deuce. Commie’s new nickname should be Dalton.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/27/11 at 03:46 PM ET

“It’s my way or the highway.”

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/27/11 at 04:50 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Never mind…  Ian White was #9 in SJ.  That won’t work obviously.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/27/11 at 04:51 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Cool. The Double Deuce. Commie’s new nickname should be Dalton.
“It’s my way or the highway.”
Posted by SYF from south of the Marathon Oil Refinery on 07/27/11 at 03:50 PM ET

“Pain don’t hurt.”

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/27/11 at 04:58 PM ET

perfection's avatar

wow… it’s amazing how his statement sums up my feelings about his arrival in a nutshell. he has an obvious respect and reverence for the opportunity to be a Wing and doesn’t want to gimmick it up and you gotta love that. He’s already picking up on what it takes to succeed in Detroit - and part of me is real excited to see what he does. maybe he becomes a great value?

...but then I got to the end of his statement (“stay single”) and started to remember what an utter tool he is and now I’m pissed again we signed him.

It’s a conflict that will likely plague me all season and only Commodore can play well enough to settle it in my mind. Of course, if he sucks or starts bitching about Babcock or something, I guess that would settle it too…

for now he’s the great red hope

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/27/11 at 05:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Great of Commodore to stick to what he really wanted and not be twisted by an internet tool.

As Chief relayed a week or two ago, Commodore said he really didn’t like the idea, not now, not in Detroit.

Don’t take the “stay single my friends” thing to heart too much, it’s just something he jokes about on twitter and often signs off with after exchanging messages with lots of fans into the night… A very accessible and fan friendly guy.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/27/11 at 05:19 PM ET

thethirdcoast's avatar

Big ups to Commodore for many things:

1) Understanding what a special place Detroit is.
2) Not caving into the pressure from Wysh or C64.
3) Voluntarily following up on the donation plan with Wysh.
4) Stay single - I LOVE this for many personal reasons, and people that are butthurt by it really need to get over themselves.

All in all I’m really liking what Commie is saying, and I’m hoping that will translate to his play on the ice when the season gets here.

I don’t mind White taking #18, since it’s basically 2 x #9. I think he’s going to do well for Detroit in the coming year.

Posted by thethirdcoast from Algiers, DZ on 07/27/11 at 09:36 PM ET