The Malik Report

Red Wings quickies: on the Jagr rumor, Babcock on WDFN and a charitable note

Very briefly, with “more to come”:

• Regarding the Jagr-to-the-Red Wings rumor from Denik Sport’s Zdenek Janda, as noted this morning, here’s all you need to know about the legitimacy of a, “Jagr’s pal, Jaroslav Zidek, says Detroit would be a good fit” line—none of the other Czech hockey websites are so much as mentioning this “report.” Not one. It’s just a pal of Jagr’s making a suggestion and a website plastering a picture of Jagr and a Red Wings logo to generate web traffic (now Expressen’s report that Niclas Wallin’s left the NHL to play for Lulea, that one’s true);

• MLive’s Phillip Zaroo notes that Red Wings coach Mike Babcock spoke to WDFN’s Art Regner today, and Zaroo provides a partial transcript of the interview, which treads upon several topics from his NHL on XM Radio interview, including his take about the team’s search for two assistant coaches to replace Paul MacLean and Brad McCrimmon:

“What I’m looking for is two guys to come and make our program better.I’m looking for ideas, and I tell ya, I’m being totally self-serving,” he admitted on WDFN-AM 1130 Detroit. “I’ve been here six years; I’m going into my seventh year. I think I’ve been a good coach in the (NHL), but I want to be a better coach in the (NHL), and in order to do that, you’ve gotta change.”

It may be surprising that Babcock is seeking change after six successful seasons on the Detroit bench. After all, a Stanley Cup, two Western Conference championships and five Central Division titles is nothing to shake a stick at. But the 48-year-old knows even the strongest messages, the strongest voices can lose their effect after enough time.

“Your players get tired of you,” Babcock explained. “You become like Charlie Brown’s teacher – wah, wah, wah, wah, wah – (players) don’t hear anything. So we need change.”

Knowing what you’re looking for and knowing how you’re going to get it are two totally different things, though. Babcock can’t answer the “when” and “where” questions yet. And don’t even think about the “who.”

“Is it young, fired-up guys full of passion that wanna make a difference,” he asked. “Is it experienced guys? That’s the process I’m in, trying to figure that out, and see who’s out there. I can tell you right now I have no idea on timeline, and I have no idea who those people are going to be.”

Download file

I’ll try to transcript the whole thing as time permits.

• Per DetroitRedWings.com’s Anne Hayes, wow:

The Detroit Red Wings Foundation announced today that it awarded grants totaling $66,732 to 20 families affected by breast cancer. Families that had a household member receiving treatment for breast cancer could apply for financial assistance to help pay for everyday living expenses such as rent, utility bills and groceries.

“I’m so thankful for the help from the Detroit Red Wings Foundation,” said grant recipient Carri Demaggio. “I’m not able to work so keeping up on expenses not covered by insurance like transportation and medical co-pays really add up. With a younger family like mine, as they grow up it’s getting harder and harder to make ends meet.”

In addition to the grants, three local businesses provided in-kind support to families. American Temperature Service, Inc. in Novi donated and installed a brand new furnace and air conditioner valued at $2,800. Vaughn Custom Sports in Lake Orion donated a full set of goalie pads valued at $500 and Perani’s Hockey World in Livonia donated a hockey stick valued at $250.

The Red Wings Foundation announced the grant program back in October as part of the National Hockey League’s Hockey Fights Cancer initiative.

The Detroit Red Wings Foundation is an affiliate of Ilitch Charities, a 501 (c)(3) organization. The Foundation invests in the future of our community by providing funds and resources to worthy causes that contribute to the growth of the sport of hockey.

• The Detroit Free Press’s George Sipple reports that the University of Michigan and Ohio State University will play in an outdoor game in Cleveland in “mid-January,” 2012, but as the NHL’s already keen on holding a Winter Classic in Philadelphia, there’s no way in heck that this news would provoke the ratings nightmare that would be a Red Wings-Blue Jackets Winter Classic, no way, no how.

Update: The Detroit News’s Ted Kulfan is mentioning the Jagr rumor.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Hippy Dave's avatar

Ahhh, let the Summer rumor mill start churning…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 06/15/11 at 05:12 PM ET

Jordan_NOHS's avatar

Jagr is a natural right wing… Just sayin

Posted by Jordan_NOHS from Detroit, MI on 06/15/11 at 05:43 PM ET

Offer Jagr 1.5M for 1 year max.  Otherwise nuh uh.

Posted by BobaFett on 06/15/11 at 05:58 PM ET

Jordan_NOHS's avatar

Offer Jagr 1.5M for 1 year max.  Otherwise nuh uh.

Posted by BobaFett on 06/15/11 at 03:58 PM ET

I don’t know. He is an amazing player I would probably go 2-2.5M

I dont think this would be another Modano situation, Jagr was and is on a whole other level. look at what he accomplished in his career. He is still playing at a very high level judging by how he did at Worlds.

i’d say there is a 1% chance that it actually happens, I would give that tire more than a few kicks

Posted by Jordan_NOHS from Detroit, MI on 06/15/11 at 06:16 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Jaromir Jagr himself has stated that he’d be intrigued to play in Montreal or to return to the Rangers or Penguins.

Jagr has not stated that he’d like to play for the Wings, ever, over the past four months or so. There really is nothing more than a 1% chance that this happens.

This is a “friend” making a suggestion to a journalist and that journalist running with a “story” that isn’t much of one.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/15/11 at 06:24 PM ET

Jordan_NOHS's avatar

We can dream of the good old days when we could stack a team with Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov, Hull, Robitaille, Larionov, Lidstrom, Chelios & Hasek.

I say we sign Richards, Jagr and trade for Parise

Posted by Jordan_NOHS from Detroit, MI on 06/15/11 at 06:38 PM ET

How can you say Jagr is on a different level than Modano? Last time I checked Modano was the American born points leader in the NHL. That doesnt happen if youre on a lower level. If he would not have suffered the wrist injury thus season things would have turned out alot better for Mo.

Posted by Simps25 from Oxford on 06/15/11 at 08:21 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

How can you say Jagr is on a different level than Modano?

Attitude

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 06/15/11 at 11:02 PM ET

If Jagr wants to win one more cup, the Wings are the best chance. If the Wings want to make on more serious run, signing Jagr could influence Lidstrom to stay one more year. Jagr’s still got some game in him, and I for one would like to see some more highlights from one of the best players to ever play.

Posted by Go Wings Go from Anaheim on 06/16/11 at 12:12 AM ET

well jgr is great however if i was him ide go anywhere but detroit because babcock will only make him a scratch just like chelios mccarty modano draper,see the trend? if your over 25 babcock dont want ya.otherwise abdulkader would of been out and modano in.and it is FACT abdulkader’s penalties caused the goals that eliminated detroit.

Posted by mike wing from detroit on 06/16/11 at 01:26 AM ET