The Malik Report

Red Wings pick Rasmus Bodin with 200th overall pick, wrapping up their 2012 draft haul

According to NHL.com, the Red Wings picked Rasmus Bodin, a 6’6,” 207-lb LW from Sweden. He’s not listed on NHL.com. That’s it for the Wings.

MLive’s Ansar Khan confirms:

Wings take Rasmus Bodin of Sweden, a 6-6, 207 pound center, with their last pick, 200th overall in 7th round.

The Wings confirm but get the pick wrong:

With the 210th pick in the 2012 #NHLDraft, your @DetroitRedWings select Rasmus Bodin (C) from Sweden.

As you might expect, RedWingsCentral’s Matthew Wuest has the scoop Bodin:

7-200. C/LW Rasmus Bodin, 6-6, 207, Ostersunds (Swe-J-18), 29-9-17-26-94. The Red Wings finally went to Europe with their last pick and took yet another Swedish sleeper, a six-foot-six forward who averaged close to a point per game and piled up 94 penalty minutes at the J-18 level last season. He’s joining the more high-profile HV-71 organization next season.

Update: From NHL.com’s Brian Hedger, here’s Eliteprospects’ take on Bodin:

Birthyear: 1994-05-05 Birthplace:
Age: 18 Nation: Sweden
Position: C Shoots: L
Height: 197 cm / 6’6” Weight: 94 kg / 207 lbs
Youth Team: Brunflo IK Contract: Junior
Drafted: 2012 round 7 #200 overall by Detroit Red Wings

A huge player with great strength and reach. Has a cannon of a shot. Works hard. Surprisingly mobile for a player of his great stature. Very raw. Project. (EP 2012)

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

RWBill's avatar

This will be 180 picks in 180 minutes today by 1 pm.  1 pick per minute.

This is clearly not an exact science.  It’s about development, both by the individual and by the team.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/23/12 at 01:41 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

a 6’-6” center, that’s craziness if he pans out.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/23/12 at 01:42 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

6-6, 207 pound center

Well, there is some size.  Height, but must be pretty lean at that young age.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/23/12 at 01:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

The last round went by in about 20 minutes.

180 picks in 160 minutes.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/23/12 at 01:46 PM ET

7   19   200   DET   RASMUS BODIN   LW   SWE   6’ 6”  207   SWEDEN   OSTERSUNDS

That’s a bit extreme. 6’2’‘-6’3’’ guys who are physical and can skate is what needed up front in today’s hockey.

Posted by Alex on 06/23/12 at 01:59 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Alex on 06/23/12 at 12:59 PM ET

So why wouldn’t someone 6-6 who can skate be even better?  Silliness.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/23/12 at 02:18 PM ET

we get a guy whos over 6’5 and now people complain that he is too big? no one will ever be satisfied. wings wouldnt make a pick for the sake of picking, this guy has something aside from his size to offer.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 06/23/12 at 02:21 PM ET

I smell a change in position.  A 6-6 D-man? Yes please.

Posted by Helm4life on 06/23/12 at 03:20 PM ET

I’d like to see some video on this kid. He’s soooooo unknown still.

Posted by Blake on 06/23/12 at 04:13 PM ET

This MIGHT turn out to be yet another gem by Hakan Andersson.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 06/23/12 at 04:18 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Looks like future Wings could be a very big team…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 06/23/12 at 05:03 PM ET

thethirdcoast's avatar

I approve of this pick 110%.

Just get him in the gym and pack 20-30 lbs of lean muscle on him and he could be our best big bodied player since Jiri Fischer.

Also, keep him away from Errorson and his, “I’m built like Sandor Clegane, but I play like I’m Tyrion Lannister’s size,” mentality. Sorry if you’re not a Game of Thrones/ASOIAF fan.

Posted by thethirdcoast from Algiers, DZ on 06/23/12 at 06:09 PM ET

Posted by thethirdcoast from Rottenchester on 06/23/12 at 05:09 PM ET

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 06/23/12 at 06:41 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

Posted by thethirdcoast from Rottenchester on 06/23/12 at 05:09 PM ET

If he played like had The Imp’s brain then maybe he would be on the top pair…

Posted by tkfergy on 06/24/12 at 02:11 AM ET