The Malik Report

Red Wings overnight report: from a Hockeyfest lineup to sitting Hat Trick Dick

The Red Wings posted a lineup of players who will be taking part in their “Hockeyfest” event at Joe Louis Arena on September 10th via Twitter, and let’s just say that the list of participants taking part in Q and A’s or autograph sessions is impressive:

Players at Hockeyfest on 9/10 include Lidstrom, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Miller, Abdelkader, Eaves, Zetterberg, Cleary, Howard and Kindl.
...
Nick, Bert, Holmstrom, Miller, Abby + Eaves will be on hand from 11:30-2:30. Hank, Cleary, Howard + Kindl will show from 2:30-5:30.

The Red Wings have also posted a Twitter-formatted video

• This isn’t Red Wings-related per se, but it’s important: if you’re interested in checking out the Stanley Cup as it makes a three-day sojourn through Michigan starting today, the Jackson Citizen Patriot’s Gary Kalahar takes note of the fact that you’ll have less time than previously suggested to see the Cup in Jackson, MI on Thursday:

A first-time visitor will be checking out the night life in downtown Jackson on Thursday. The Stanley Cup will make its way to Jackson to conclude its day in the possession of Boston Bruins defenseman Steven Kampfer.

The public display of the cup in Jackson was originally set for 4-6 p.m., but a schedule change has pushed that time back to 7:30-9:30 p.m. During that time, Kampfer and the Stanley Cup will be in front of Daryl’s Downtown on Michigan Avenue for autographs and pictures.

Last December, Kampfer became Jackson’s first player in the NHL. He played about half the regular season with the Bruins, who went on to win the Stanley Cup. Each player on the NHL championship team is allowed a day in the offseason with the Cup.

• Back to the Wings: According to RedWingsCentral’s Sarah Lindenau, per her Left Wing Lock blog, four games from the Wings’ prospect tournament will air on the NHL Network…but they’re probably not the games you’re thinking about:

In addition to the MSG network broadcasting all New York Rangers games, the NHL Network will also pick up all Rangers games from the 2011 NHL prospects tournament. The NHL network is viewable in 20 million households across the U.S. The Red Wings are not currently scheduled to play the Rangers as the two teams are playing in different divisions. There is a chance the teams could face off on the final day but that schedule will be based on tournament standings from the first three games. Below is the current schedule for the broadcast:

September 10 7:00 pm: NY Rangers Vs. St. Louis

September 11 6:00 pm: NY Rangers Vs. Dallas Stars

September 13 3:30 pm: NY Rangers Vs. Carolina Hurricanes

September 14 TBD depending on final tournament standings

And:

Centre I.C.E. arena also announced that they will be hosting a Hockey Fair on September 10th from 2 pm – 7 pm to coincide with the kickoff of the tournament. The fair, which will be held in the parking lot in front of the arena, is free to attend and will include: 3 on 3 street hockey, radar hardest shot competition, 4 target accuracy competition, refreshments, hockey vendor booths, merchandise,  and prizes. The tournament’s first game will be at 3:30 pm when the Minnesota Wild take on the Buffalo Sabres.

• The U.S. version NHL Network will air a game I would suggest you avoid today, by the way, as they’re re-airing Game 7 of the 2009 Stanley Cup Final at 12 PM EDT (boo!);

• While we’re talking about broadcast news, per Crain’s Detroit Business’s Bill Shea, WXYT’s AM station will no longer broadcast sports talk because we [sarcasm] apparently don’t have enough political discourse on the airwaves here in Detroit [/sarcasm]:

Sports radio station WXYT 1270 AM will switch to a largely conservative all-talk lineup Sept. 12, the station said today. The CBS Radio Inc.-owned station currently simulcasts programming from WXYT 97.1 FM “The Ticket,” including sports talk shows and live Detroit Lions, Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons games.

The new lineup will include a local issues morning show (6-9 a.m.) hosted by lawyer Charlie Langton, who is a fixture on WJBK-Channel 2’s TV news broadcasts. Following Langton will be Glenn Beck (9 a.m.-noon), Laura Ingraham (noon-3 p.m.), Todd Schnitt (3-6 p.m.), Jason Lewis (6-9 p.m.) and Rusty Humphries (9 p.m.-midnight).

“It will take an edgy and engaging point of view about issues on listeners’ minds,” Deb Kenyon, CBS Radio’s market manager, said about the lineup change in a statement.

Yes, like the fact that political talk radio shock jocks sound like idiots regardless of their partisanship ([sarcasm]because we totally don’t have enough angry people yelling at each other in the world[/sarcasm])...

• While we’re talking about rabble-rousing, yes, as the Detroit Free Press’s sports staff notes and the Oakland Press’s Pat Caputo duly noted, The Hockey News believes that the Red Wings will finish 5th in the Western Conference this season, and as I said on Monday afternoon, we’d better get used to hearing that kind of stuff as most of the mainstream media will insist that the Wings are too old/slow/soft to be called anything but borderline contenders at this point.

That trend started when the Wings’ last-minute playoff push during the 2009-2010 season gave them ammunition to bolster the 15-year-old predictions that the Wings’ fall from elite status is imminent, and between consecutive second round losses to the San Jose Sharks and the retirements of Brian Rafalski, Chris Osgood and Kris Draper, you’ve got to expect them to suggest that repeated playoff difficulties and the player and coaching turnover will be too much for the team to bear. It’s up to the Wings to prove what will become a very common prediction wrong;

• And yes, as the Free Press reiterates, former Wings Brad May and Boyd Devereaux will take part in the CBC’s latest season of “Battle of the Blades.” I don’t have a snappy remark here;

• According to the Saingaw News’s Hugh Bernreuter, one-time Wing and Adirondack Red Wings coach Barry Melrose will be making an appearance at Thursday’s Great Lakes Loons baseball game (it’s too bad that they didn’t make a Melrose bobblehead…maybe the Loons know it would be too much like the real thing…);

• Again, if you find yourself in Moscow, Russia on August 31st, Sovetsky Sport’s reporting that Pavel Datsyuk will take part in a charity hockey game held by Alex Ovechkin and Ilya Kovalchuk to benefit disabled children;

• If you’re interested in watching hockey in a more local setting, the Plymouth Whalers’ training camp begins on September 1st;

• I thought it was plain old cool that Capgeek.com and RedWingsCentral’s Matthew Wuest was interviewed by Yahoo Sports’ Puck Daddy blog as part of their “Hockey Guilty Pleasures” feature;

• Should we be surprised that Expressen’s Mattias Nystrom reports that Modo Ornskoldsvik coach Ulf Samuelsson benched Wings prospect Dick Axelsson during the team’s first preseason game (a 3-0 loss to Sodertalje SK) because he started arguing with referees?

• And if you can lend a few bucks to my training camp fund, I’m slowly but surely heading toward my goal of being able to pay the hotel bill for both the prospect tournament and main camp. You’ll have to use my email address, rtxg at yahoo dot com, to donate, if you can/will/feel like it.

Thanks again to everybody who’s donated and who plans on donating!

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Good morning, George.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 08/23/11 at 09:31 AM ET

George… don’t be mad about the station changing.  I’m actually GLAD it’s changing.  I will be happy to turn to it.  I preset my radio to it this morning in anticipation of the changeover.  Every morning I listen to 97.1 and it gets a little old so I’ll enjoy myself listening to the new 1270.  Not everyone on the radio yells about stuff and is a “shock jock”.  It’s all entertainment, but there is some good dialogue.  I’m sure I’ll still be able to get my sports radio talk/ broadcast game fix.  Besides, when it comes to RedWings news… you my friend, are tops.  I learn twice as much from you as I do from 97.1 .  smile  Keep up the excellent work George and don’t let silly little station changes get to you.

Posted by Josh Howard from Hockeytown, USA on 08/23/11 at 10:03 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

good morning , George. We junkies continue to thank you.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 08/23/11 at 10:26 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Afternoon bitches. My first earthquake. Freaky as anything I have experienced.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 08/23/11 at 03:19 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I was on the freeway :( barely felt it

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/23/11 at 04:15 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I didn’t feel it in Michigan but I hear that some people did…

And I’m just not a fan of political talk with a rant-y bent, so more partisan politicking…makes me itchy.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/23/11 at 05:36 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Read about the quake. Hope that anyone around it is alright. I’m out here in California. So I’ve been through a few of them. G-Money, thank you as always!

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 08/23/11 at 08:05 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

hahahahaha

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 08/25/11 at 12:40 PM ET