The Malik Report

Red Wings mid-day quickies: on Semin, a Rufenach tribute and the great chain of citation

On what remains a somewhat quiet Saturday in terms of Red Wings news…

The biggest story of this afternoon’s news cycle involves the Wings’ most likely Zach Parise back-up plan in one Alex Semin. Via a heads-up from Sports.ru, Semin spoke to Sport-Express (the article lists no author some reason), and if you’re a fan of the streaky scorer, especially given his chemistry with Pavel Datsyuk during the World Championships, there’s good news of a sort.

The following translation’s a bit rough, but has been ran through both Google and Promt:

Alexander Semin: “Regarding continuing my career, no one has contacted me”

Two-time World Champion Alexander Semin was on the air in one of the radio stations [in his hometown of] Krasnoyarsk, and he spoke about the rumors surrounding him regarding his employment:

“It’s difficult to talk about any deals. I’m looking forward to July 1st, then we’ll know something already, which teams are out to sign me, and what conditions they’ll offer. Now I can’t tell you anything as nobody’s contacted me,” Semin said.

Question: If you go to the KHL, is that a step backwards?

“I think that there’d be no change in terms of moving downwards or upwards—I’m not thinking about that, just going out and playing.”

I know that SKA St. Petersburg and obviously CSKA Moscow are interested in acquiring Semin’s services, but they seem to be stuck waiting to find out whether he would prefer to remain in the NHL instead when he tests the free agent marketplace on July 1st—and he is at least guaranteed to do so—so we’ll find out whether his agent, Mark Gandler, plans on ensuring that his client hits a “home run” contract in the KHL, or whether he and Semin are willing to take a slight haircut off his 6.7 million 2011-2012 salary (per Capgeek.com) to remain in the NHL.

In international news if a different sort, if you’ve ever wondered what kind of cash some European teams earn by capturing their respective leagues’ championships, Arbertarbladet’s Stisse Atkins reports that, in terms of total revenues over the course of the regular season, playoff run and compensation for signed NHL players, Brynas IF Gavle, Calle Jarnkrok’s team, landed a net profit of 14 million Swedish Krona, with Hockeysverige’s Uffe Bodin pointing out that Jakub Silfverberg joining the Ottawa Senators, the Wings signing Jarnkrok and the Boston Bruins signing goalie Niklas Svedberg (per Eliteprospects.com) yielded a couple hundred thousand bucks apiece.

14 million in Swedish Krona translates to about $1.95 million U.S., and given that Brynas’s star-studded ineup has yet to include signing a starting goalie, doing more than breaking even gives the team a much better chance of attracting star players (Swedish salaries are more than the AHL cap max of $105,000, more like the $500,000-700,000 range for stars, if not more in some instances) and defending their Eliteserien title;

In very sad news, the Grand Rapids Press’s Peter J. Wallner reports that Bryan Rufenach’s family has set up a Facebook memorial page whose message to fans, from Bryan’s brother Mark, reads as follows;

On behalf of our entire family, we would like to thank everyone for their outpouring of love and support during this difficult time. Knowing how much Bryan meant to everyone has touched our hearts. We are still working to bring Bryan home so information regarding his visitation and funeral service will follow as soon as the details are finalized.

In the meantime, the family hopes to capture all of the ways in which Bryan will be remembered by his close friends and extended “family”. If you have any favourite photos or stories of Bryan that you would like to share, please send them to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Additionally, friends have created a memorial fund on his behalf to help the family offset the cost of bringing him home and of honouring his memory. Any excess funds will be put toward the Bryan Rufenach Memorial Skills Camp, building upon the hockey camp my brother started last year, but offering it free of charge to local house-league kids.  Anyone wishing to make a contribution can do so in one of the following ways:

CIBC bank – Transit#00942 Institution#010 Account#5853613
Email Transfer – forbryanrufenach@gmail.com
Paypal – forbryanrufenach@gmail.com

Thanking everyone again for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers,

Doug, Eileen, Michelle & Mark

Shifting gears to an incredibly different slate of topics regarding Wings alums, Sportbox.ru is holding a Q and A with Igor Larionov today;

• And given that the Edmonton Oilers are in search of a new head coach after firing Tom Renney, the Edmonton Journal’s David Staples provides an in-depth profile of former Wing and current Saint John Sea Dogs coach Gerard Gallant.

And in a purely selfish vein, regarding the whole Winter Classic ticket info post and its preceding initial discussion thereof—and, really, every blog entry I write—I tried to give due credit to the sources which I cited as so many years of writing classes in college hammered the “cite your sources!” concept into this English degree-holder to the point that I sometimes fear getting struck down by lightning if I don’t thoroughly ensure that readers know where info that I’ve found elsewhere comes from.

In terms of the ticket pricing news, Winging it in Motown reader Jaclyn brought it up, Josh Howard (who you may be familiar with on Twitter as he designed that fantastic Nicklas Lidstrom tribute poster, and does that kind of thing regularly) sent me the Grand Rapids Griffins’ email to their season ticket-holders suggesting that there would be no public sale of tickets, and Kukla’s Korner reader Steve Brooks was the person who both kindly sent me those gigantic images of the “pricing zones” for the Winter Classic Alumni Game and the main event itself.

Given that the ticket pricing webpage on the Wings’ website is public knowledge now, the fact that the Detroit Free Press and MLive’s Brendan Savage just steered Wings fans toward said site is fine and dandy, but I was really impressed and flattered by the fact that Birky on Pension Plan Puppets actually cited my report—which, again, was an composite built from the efforts and kind contributions of Winging it in Motown and TMR readers.

As we’re reaching a summer news cycle where one blogger’s hard work, or, just as often, his or her audience’s contributions will mysteriously appear on MSM websites on a more and more regular basis, those who cite their sources earn major points and credibility in my book, because as someone who more or less attempts to offer a different spin on others’ work to begin with, I believe that it’s absolutely essential that if a story is not your own, you should do your absolute best to cite your sources and give them credit and/or thanks for doing what they do.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

those who cite their sources earn major points and credibility in my book

Ours too, George.  Thank you.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/09/12 at 05:26 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

You are a classy and honorable man George.  My parents always taught me to give credit where credit is due.  and it holds true with citations in adulthood.  Never change you ethics because when it comes down to it, that is the only thing you can never reacquire after you lose someone’s confidence in you.
Ya need to slow down and take a break before the feces hits the fan in 20 more days George. We will make do with a story here and there until then.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 06/09/12 at 09:35 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

When I started doing this and didn’t quite know what I was doing, I didn’t always cite my sources at MLive, and I wasn’t taken seriously. I simply looked at what Paul was doing here and reverted to what I’d been taught by my mom and my writing teachers in always doing one’s absolute best to explain how the information got to me, and that changed everything.

I am gonna slow down a little bit—and not push myself quite so hard at the prospect camp—because things will hopefully get quiet over the next week or two. Once the draft gets here, things will crank right back up, and free agency is going to be nuts one way or the other, so pacing is everything over the next month.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/09/12 at 09:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I also believe Shultz may be willing to compromise a little more at the chance to play on the Detroit Red Wings and make half the D-corp Badgers alumn.. and all damn good ones at that.  Anyone you shake it, can’t be worse than Kindl or Quincey.  Nutshot.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/09/12 at 06:17 PM ET

Right. This has to be overblown a bit.  Hockey players are normally fairly humble, and difficult to imagine someone who has yet to play above college level making demands about play.  That is even objectionable coming from Semin’s agent.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/09/12 at 11:07 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Here catching up on DVR to live play in Game 5 I still don’t care who wins the SCF.  I don’t know that I’d want the Devils to get a fourth Cup as the comparisons, though unwarranted, to the Red Wings would quickly surface.  At the same time on the few occasions I’ve seen a Wings game in LA it’s been fun there being zero Cup banners in the rafters.  I’ve been a big fan of Dustin Brown since seeing him in the first round, and physically burying the Sedin sisters, so it wouldn’t be bad seeing him win as Captain, he’s a great hockey Captain.

Should I be surprised the SCF hasn’t even garnered discussion here or A2Y?  I actually care little who wins, no hated or sympathetic players or teams out there.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/09/12 at 11:18 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Zach Parise is quite a little buzzsaw out there, with good hands.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/09/12 at 11:44 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

A healthy cheering in NJ when the Kings scored, about what you’d expect from the Wings on the road.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/09/12 at 11:48 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The agent talk from Semin’s agent is…only because he’s Mark Gandler. Gandler is a nut-job and then some. He’s the one who helped engineer Alexei Yashin’s hold-out and eventual bolting for the KHL.

Otherwise, I mean, if you’re a free agent prospect of Schultz’s caliber, we’ve all seen what those players command in terms of both money and guarantees of playing time. It’s not about Schultz being a selfish, arrogant dick, it’s about agents getting the best deals for their clients and knowing they can shoot for the moon because SOMEone will pony up for the latest, greatest, “Best player to be playing outside the NHL.”

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/10/12 at 12:18 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

And the game is NUTS, *finally.* We had so many block-fests and races to one goal in these SCF, and it took four games and two periods, but the intensity is finally up to Stanley Cup Final levels, as are the execution, effort, attention to detail and plain old bizarre unpredictability.

But in terms of interest, I cannot deny that after watching the Wings be so painfully eliminated so very early, given that there was so much uncertainty about Nick’s future, and given the fact that the combination of defensive tactics and horrific refereeing in terms of no crackdown on any sort of obstruction or interference, these playoffs have been very, very hard to watch and very, very hard to get excited about for me.

Now that Nick’s made his decision and I’m tremendously bummed about it, it’s still kinda hard to get up for the Cup final, which sounds bizarre, but this has been a bizarre spring.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/10/12 at 12:21 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I don’t care about the SCF either.  I amaze myself by going to bed before the games end more often than not.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/10/12 at 11:03 AM ET

“those who cite their sources earn major points and credibility in my book”

Thanks for that George. It has often irked me that comments I have made on some sites that are not in the same vein as other commentors, get no response from authors, yet end up as a blog a day or two later there or somewhere close, where everyone interested reads. Irked to the point of not wanting to participate anymore.

I suppose guys want to find content and pay the bills but it’s not classy, at all. And I’m not an egomaniac (if you don’t ask my wife).

Posted by FastOil on 06/11/12 at 01:36 AM ET