The Malik Report

Updated: a Nicklas Lidstrom red herring reminds us to not joke about a certain Red Wing’s future

Updated repeatedly: According to the Red Wings, the TC camp account simply misunderstood a joke on the Red Wings’ Facebook page. and the TC account is confirming. All is OK!: I’m not too worried about this, but I am slightly concerned: the Red Wings’ Twitter account is going into overdrive today to promote the last day of voting for Pavel Datsyuk in EA Sports’ NHL 13 cover vote semifinals, and the Wings revealed that Nicklas Lidstrom was at Joe Louis Arena today.

Via RedWingsFeed, DetroitHockey.net’s Clark Ramussen reports that another Tweet popped up which might or might not signal the end of the line for Lidstrom:

Could Nicklas Lidstrom’s NHL career be over?

It’s a horrifying thought to many Red Wings fans but the idea was given some credence on Wednesday, when the official Twitter account for the Red Wings’ Traverse City-based training camps posted the following:

Sad to learn Nicklas Lidstrom retiring #redwings #drwtc

The tweet was deleted within minutes of having been posted and those running the account did not reply when asked about it.

Honestly, Twitter bots like RedWingsFeed and Google tend to find the Wings’ official website uploading articles, videos or pictures indicating that a player’s going to retire, so I don’t think we’re witnessing the end of the world quite yet, but if RWF does start picking up hints…

Then I’m worrying.

In a very, very different vein, ESPN’s Craig Custance confirmed this morning, per his insider-only blog, that potential unrestricted free agent defenseman Justin Schultz may or may not sign with his rights-holding tea…

Justin Schultz, Wisconsin—Schultz was the No. 43 overall pick in the 2008 NHL draft, picked in the second round by the Ducks and could end up being one of the most intriguing stories of the summer. If he doesn’t sign with the Ducks, he could become a free agent and outside of Ryan Suter there might not be a better available defenseman. The 6-foot-1 British Columbia native blossomed at Wisconsin and had 47 points last year and 44 this season. His semester ended on Friday and the Ducks are waiting to officially hear from him whether or not he’s going to leave school. If he notifies the NCAA in writing of his intention to leave Wisconsin, the Ducks have 30 days to sign him before he can speak with any other NHL team. According to an NHL source, as of Monday night the Ducks still were waiting to hear about an official decision.

Danny DeKeyser, Western Michigan University—DeKeyser had a chance to sign with any NHL team following the Broncos season this spring but somewhat surprisingly opted to return to Andy Murray’s program for his junior year and continue his development in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The 6-foot-3 defenseman, who wasn’t drafted, won’t have to wait long to join the NHL once he’s ready to make the jump. Until then, his focus is on getting stronger and preparing for a long career.

“To get to the next level is just going to take some strength and a little bit of weight,” DeKeyser said when we spoke in late March. “I’d like to have a good summer, put on 10 pounds or so over the summer, get my strength up. That will really help me to move on.” A Michigan native, he grew up a Detroit Red Wings fan but said he’s keeping his NHL options wide open.

And “Angus Certified’s” Jeff Angus pondered whether Schultz might sign with Detroit over other NHL options:

The draws: a class organization from top to bottom, a new arena deal on the horizon, the chance to play with his buddy Brendan Smith.

The drawbacks: Likely no roster spot available, even if Nick Lidstrom retires and Brad Stuart returns to play in California. The Wings are patient with their young defensemen – just look at Smith and Jakub Kindl.

Schultz to Detroit? As Gob Bluth would say,” Come on!” Will the rich get richer? The same set of questions was posed to J.J. from Winging It In Motown.

Why would he be a good fit in Detroit? Schultz’s game matches Detroit’s system extremely well. No team in the league relies more on creating offense and transition from their blue line. To have another smart shot, especially one that shoots right would be welcome just about anywhere. While it may not play much of a difference, the Red Wings having Patrick Eaves, the son of Schultz’s coach Mike at Wisconsin, defenseman Brendan Smith, and what many would consider a front-runner status on former Badger Ryan Suter, it could make a difference.

Why would he want to come to Detroit? The Red Wings are well-known for being a player-friendly organization where there’s an expectation to win, but enough veteran leaders in the locker room to alleviate some of the pressure on a kid. He would be able to grow himself into the spotlight in Detroit rather than having it bearing down on him from the start.

Would he have a roster spot available to earn?I don’t believe Schultz would be able to walk into a roster spot if he signs his first NHL contract with the Red Wings. Aside from being famous for taking care of their players, they’re also a bit notorious for over ripening their prospects. Brendan Smith is looking forward to his first full NHL season with the big club after a year many thought he should have already been with them. While Schultz would be given a chance to jump over a guy like Jakub Kindl, it’s not likely he’ll find himself anywhere but Grand Rapids for the first year.

Provided he is NHL ready, what role could he play in 2012-13? With so much in the air as far as the status of Detroit’s defensive corps next season, it’s hard to tell where he would end up if the club made room for him, but I think he’d slot onto the third pairing to get 10-12 minutes per night. Depending on other acquisitions, he would probably be either first or second in line to take over a point on the 2nd power play unit in the event of injury.

Schultz to Detroit makes a lot of sense if immediate ice time at the NHL isn’t his primary goal. The Wings are set to reap the rewards of their patience with Smith and Kindl, and it is likely that Schultz would take the same route as those two (at least two years in Grand Rapids).

Likelihood of Schultz to Detroit: Two Holmstrom goaltender interference penalties out of 10.

I don’t think that he’s coming to Detroit—Angus believes that Edmonton’s the front-runner for Schultz’s services, with Toronto, New York, Vancouver and Philadelphia close behind, and he’s right—but we can always dare to dream.

Update: While we’re on the subject, the Sporting News’s Jesse Spector answered a question about Lidstrom and the Wings’ free agency plans today:

“Who do you think would be the best fit for the Red Wings to pursue this offseason?”—Mike Crossman

Detroit has $44 million and change committed to 18 players for next season, so there is cap space to work with, although there also is a rather significant question as to whether Nicklas Lidstrom, an unrestricted free agent who had a $6.2 million cap hit this season, will return or retire. The good news for the Red Wings is that Lidstrom is expected to make his decision before July 1, so GM Ken Holland will know exactly what the situation is when the market opens.

Regardless of Lidstrom’s decision, though, replacing the seven-time Norris Trophy winner on a long-term basis is a major priority for the Red Wings, and Ryan Suter has long been rumored to be a top target should he decide to leave Nashville as an unrestricted free agent. Matt Carle also would make a lot of sense for Detroit if he opts to leave the Philadelphia Flyers. Both Suter and Carle have the kind of puck-moving skill that the Red Wings need for their system.

Another intriguing option would be Semin, who may benefit greatly from a change of scenery, and especially from a move to a team where his offensive talents could be maximized. Even as he has struggled to replicate the form that made him a 40-goal scorer in 2009-10, Semin still has been a 20-goal man the past two years, and even in what was arguably his worst season, scored on 11.5 percent of his shots on goal in 2011-12. What might he be able to do on a line with Pavel Datsyuk, and for that matter, how good would it be for Semin’s mental game to be teammates with a fellow Russian in the conversation for best player in the world?

After failing to get out of the first round of the playoffs for the first time in 2006, and with Lidstrom at the end of his career—either now or soon—it might seem like the Red Wings are poised for a transition period. With the right additions, Detroit can reload rather than rebuild, and it is good fortune that a free-agent class that is thin overall happens to be thick with top talent that fits in Hockeytown, especially with a system that is hardly rife with chips for trades.

Update #2: The Finnish papers are in full-out freak-out mode themselves today as the Minnesota Wild have signed Mikael Granlund, and Sport.aktuality.sk’s Jakub Slovak is equally excited about the probability that the Wings will sign Tomas Jurco over the next few days.

Update #3: Via RedWingsFeed, here’s what Red Wings Camps has to say:

Apologies for the tweet this morning about Lidstrom. It was posted for 2 seconds.
...
It was based off a very poorly worded Facebook post by the official #redwings facebook page that has since been changed.
...
The tweet was removed as soon as that Facebook page was changed. It is not our goal to spread inaccurate information. Thank you.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MsRedWinger's avatar

Scary that possible leak about Nick.  Even though I’ve thought all along that he will retire - just a gut feeling - I felt a shock go through me that it might actually happen.

big surprise

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/23/12 at 02:43 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Dear god no…I am not ready for this..I will never be ready for this….noooooo :(

Posted by gowings from MTL on 05/23/12 at 02:47 PM ET

DetroitHockey's avatar

Further discussion about that tweet has me pretty convinced that it was in response to a joke on the Wings’ Facebook page, but I’d feel a lot better about it if @RedWingsCamps would confirm.

Posted by DetroitHockey on 05/23/12 at 02:53 PM ET

FYI, I think it came from the Official Wings Facebook page, where the original post was something like this:

“Nick Lidstrom is retiring…

...to his computer to vote for Pavel Datsyuk in the EASports NHL13 Cover vote!”

It got changed up about a minute or two later, but if you look in the comments (especially at the start) the freakout commence. It was a bad joke in an effort to get people to vote/notice…and in that sense it worked.

Posted by TheNorm41 on 05/23/12 at 02:56 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Agreed. I’m not worried about it, especially given that Nick won’t make his decision until his kids are out of school and he has a chance to sit everybody down for their annual chat close to the middle of next month, but as you’ve suggested on Twitter (at @detroithockey96, plug plug), this definitely brings up concerns regarding the concept that deleted Tweets somehow need not be explained simply because one “got it wrong.”

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/23/12 at 02:58 PM ET

I have no inside info - & I have never met Lidstrom -but my thought,—there is no guarantee that next year will be better, but I wonder if he is not happy about the way he went out.  He was injured and never got back to his usual self in the playoffs and the team had a dismal finish.  Sure he has a lot of great memories over the years, but maybe he would not want to end his career with the way it finished this year.  Maybe he figures he will not be able to regain his old form and just say its over, and leave it at that -but maybe he would like one more shot to end it on a high note—like Scotty did

Posted by howie young from up north on 05/23/12 at 02:58 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Ah… the Wings site was tweeting a lot about voting for Pav.  Maybe they did put that up as a joke, but quickly realized people would freak out.  Which we did.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/23/12 at 03:18 PM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

I think he’s retiring, but that’s based on zero information.

I would love to see a Badger filled blueline. Glorious.

Posted by jennyquarx on 05/23/12 at 03:18 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I have a feeling it went like this—some friend of one of the people responsible for the RW twitter feed managed to grab said friend’s phone and bang out a quick tweet before they could notice.

I’m not sweating it.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 05/23/12 at 03:32 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The Wings actually sent me an email confirming that this was a misunderstanding regarding the FB joke.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/23/12 at 03:34 PM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

My guess is Lidstrom will be gone. Last year all the signals pointed to his return, this year - none of that. My only hope is that 90% of the time, my guesses are wrong.

Posted by joedaiceman on 05/23/12 at 03:39 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

^ THANK YOU

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 05/23/12 at 03:39 PM ET

DetroitHockey's avatar

I’m going to assume I’m officially blacklisted, then, ‘cause I still haven’t gotten the response I asked for.  Glad to have some closure to that, though.

Posted by DetroitHockey on 05/23/12 at 03:39 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

um, my thank you was to George for the email from the Wings

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 05/23/12 at 03:40 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Sometimes people just don’t give a s*** about the storm of worries they caused, Clark. And if it makes you feel any better, Bruce Garrrioch’s blacklisted me for calling him a rumor-monger raspberry

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/23/12 at 03:43 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I guess the other thing I need to say is that I needed to word this more carefully…Clark was right, it’s hard to assume that this is anything other than speculation given that Lidstrom won’t make his decision until the middle of next month, so, “It’s probably nothing, so don’t panic, I’ve got an anxiety disorder and even I’m not panicking” or something like that might have been necessary. My apologies for freaking y’all out.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/23/12 at 03:45 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/23/12 at 02:43 PM ET

And that’s a loss how exactly?  That’s like Shane Doan disliking you because you deliver dirty hits.

Posted by Primis on 05/23/12 at 04:05 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

^ This

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 05/23/12 at 04:18 PM ET

Last year all the signals pointed to his return, this year - none of that.

What signs are pointing either way this year?  He’s said nothing which, if I recall correctly, is exactly what he said before making his decision last year…

Posted by Garth on 05/23/12 at 04:30 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

If I hear anything about Lids or Homer before Mid June and its not from Holland it is probably someone bored with no Wing Hockey.  If Lids says before July 1 and by mid June that is what it will be.  I am not sure Kindl or Qincey should be given a spot on the roster.

Kindl I can accept for another year but Quincey was a mistake , a rather big one at that.

If Lids retires and Stuart leaves as expected who are the 2 d men to be added? Smith is one and not Kindl

Homer (Holland will ask him to retire) and Hudler will be gone. Homer is done and Hudler will want more than he is worth as a UFA.

And it is time to re-evaluate the depth of Goalies in the Minors, time to delete and add at least one!

Anyway I hope Holland is active on July 1st and after. Who knows maybe a trade at the 2012 Draft?

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 05/23/12 at 05:35 PM ET

Why did Kindl get the majority of two seasons to “prove” himself but Quincey doesn’t eve get a quarter of one season before he’s kicked to the curb?

Posted by Garth on 05/23/12 at 05:49 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Because he was named after a TV series starring Jack Klugman? cheese

Posted by calquake on 05/23/12 at 07:27 PM ET

Because he was named after a TV series starring Jack Klugman?

Shouldn’t that give him extra leeway?

Posted by Garth on 05/23/12 at 11:53 PM ET