The Malik Report

Red Wings may be looking at a Conklin redux

As mentioned in the Ian White post, both MLive’s Ansar Khan and the Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness confirmed that the Red Wings are kicking the tires regarding possibly bringing Ty Conklin back to Detroit as Jimmy Howard’s back-up, and Pleiness discusses the possibility thereof in detail:

“Obviously that’s our top priority over the next few days,” [Red Wings GM Ken] Holland said. “We’re not close on anything.”

Holland said that he had been in talks with a possible backup, but he felt that [the] goalie was going in a different direction. A source told The Macomb Daily the Wings have been talking with Ty Conklin, one of the few remaining viable options.

“You’re always looking to upgrade,” Holland said. “Are we comfortable once we get a goalie signed going into training camp? Yes. But we’d also like to upgrade if we could.”

Conklin played one season with Detroit, 2008-09, and went 25-11-2 with a 2.51 goals-against average and a .909 save percentage. He played the last two seasons with the St. Louis Blues in a backup role, struggling last year with a record of 8-8-4 and a 3.22 goals-against average GAA and .881 save percentage.

The options out there are relatively scant in Conklin, Marty Turco, Ray Emery, Curtis McElhinney and the perpetually-injured Pascal Leclaire, so it might behoove the Wings to get a deal done with Conklin unless they want to bring Chris Osgood back. I don’t see the Islanders giving away Nabokov at this point (and the Globe and Mail’s Eric Duhatschek confirmed this morning that the Isles no longer have to worry about waivers when moving Nabokov), so the best “free” goalie available is probably Conklin or Emery.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

Hippy Dave's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/03/11 at 01:44 AM ET

Damn dude.  I owe you a beer.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/03/11 at 05:30 AM ET

Cwix's avatar

I’d like to see Conklin back too. Emery is a frigging thug and who wants to see Turco wearing the winged wheel.

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Chicago, IL on 07/03/11 at 09:15 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Well said, WestWing!

Posted by w2j2 on 07/03/11 at 09:19 AM ET

Emery is a frigging thug

oh oh

Posted by Garth on 07/03/11 at 01:30 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

That comment was beyond stellar.

Posted by Red Winger from oft-injured shitsacks and half-evolved apes on 07/02/11 at 09:09 PM ET

There are frequently posts in here that make me spit my India Pale Ale all over my iMac screen, then there are a few like that one that get a waiver for immediate induction into the A2Y HOF and warrant side bar material…  even though this is TMR and not A2Y.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/03/11 at 01:37 PM ET

« Previous        < 1 2