The Malik Report

Red Wings lose Howard to groin injury…again

Unbelievable: Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard is out again according to MLive’s Ansar Khan:

Wings’ Jimmy Howard has groin injury again. Team is recalling Ty Conklin from Grand Rapids on emergency basis.
...
Holland said Howard is day to day, nothing serious. Conklin on re-entry waivers. If he clears he’ll join team in New York

The CBC’s Tim Wharnsby says that Conklin has been placed on re-entry waivers.

Update: From the Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness, this sounds like a precautionary measure and/or insurance in case Joey MacDonald’s more hurt than the team believes he is:

There appears to be no end in sight for the rash of injuries the Wings have suffered of late.

Jimmy Howard will more than likely miss Wednesday’s game against the New York Rangers with a groin injury. He had just returned to the lineup after missing three games with a groin injury. And that on top of missing eight games with a fractured index finger.

Wings general manager Ken Holland said the injury “is nothing serious” and that Howard is day-to-day.

Howard is just 1-4-2 since coming back from the finger injury.

The Wings recalled Ty Conklin from Grand Rapids on an emergency basis. Conklin will have to clear re-entry waivers to join the team. If he does he’ll meet the team in New York on Wednesday.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MoreShoot's avatar

So, just to spite us, Chicago claims Conklin.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/20/12 at 02:11 PM ET

Bent's avatar

TPL is reporting that he doesn’t need to clear waivers because it is on an emergency basis, but will need to be returned to GR as soon as Howard is cleared.  Which is right?

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 03/20/12 at 02:19 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

I thought someone couldn’t be claimed on an emergency call-up?

Posted by pensfan29 on 03/20/12 at 02:19 PM ET

Multiple groin injuries is not good and just a morning skate tweak away from becoming chronic. The next Tom Poti.

Posted by NathanBC on 03/20/12 at 02:20 PM ET

April Fool….no wait…are we in March?

Posted by Nat from MTL on 03/20/12 at 02:27 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I saw it at the end of the chum game. He had trouble standing up after going down to make a play. Why the hell did they rush him back? Seriously, did anyone actually believe a goalie could recover from a groin injury in SIX FREAKING DAYS!!!

Say hello to Joey Mac and Conks, your Detroit Redwings playoff goaltending tandem.

That, of course, assumes they make the playoffs, which at the rate they are losing players is not a sure thing.

Since they already depleted the Griffs roster, can they make call-ups from the Alumni Team? Paging Kris and Chris. big surprise

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/20/12 at 02:29 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Faux me sideways.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/20/12 at 02:31 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Oh come the fuch on.  I can’t take this anymore.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/20/12 at 02:37 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Where’s the turpentine? I need a drink.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 03/20/12 at 02:51 PM ET

Does it even matter anymore? Any momentum they maybe could have had from regular season has already been lost to these ridiculous injuries. I’m a life long wings fan and have always defended them against the age argument, but it has definetely come time to start looking at a rebuild, or at least a re-tooling. Getting to the stepping stone for young franchises to establish themselves. No way we get past nashville in the first round, I’m gonna call an embarassing sweep that pushes lidstrom into retirement. hmmm

Posted by Brad allen from Warren, Mi on 03/20/12 at 02:59 PM ET

CRoy's avatar

Hi my name is Matt and I am again an alcoholic.. Seems to be a late season recurring theme..

Posted by CRoy from Redford MI on 03/20/12 at 03:00 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

How is Jimmy getting hurt (again) related to age?

The only two players dealing with possible age related ailments are Pav and Lidstrom.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/20/12 at 03:08 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

RSV - rinse, repeat.

There’s no waiver on an emergency call-up. There may be a waiver period for a return to GR, but I’m not sure that applies on emergency call ups.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/20/12 at 03:13 PM ET

11B4PF7 in MN's avatar

I am honestly at a loss for words at how this season is playing out as the playoff quickly approach.  It seems like the team’s confidence is at an all time 20 year low right now.  I wish Pavel would go crazy in the locker room and then put this team on his shoulders on the ice.

Posted by 11B4PF7 in MN on 03/20/12 at 03:14 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

How is Jimmy getting hurt (again) related to age?
Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 03/20/12 at 01:08 PM ET

And Bert. And Franzen.

But Helm, Jmac, Jimmah, E52, and Eaves are all relatively young guys.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/20/12 at 03:16 PM ET

Lidstrom, datsyuk, bertuzzi, cleary, franzen all aging and suffering wierd practice injuries. Not to mention the horribly inconsistent play of hank, who isnt getting any younger. No use living in denial about it, our wings dynasty has finally ran its course.

Posted by Brad allen from Warren, Mi on 03/20/12 at 03:21 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

What? Over? Did you say “over”? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

LGRW!

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/20/12 at 03:30 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

LGRW!
Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 03/20/12 at 01:30 PM ET

Pearl Harbor?

Forget it. He’s rolling.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/20/12 at 03:31 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

What the *#$%@& happened to the Red Wings fans I used to know? Where’s the spirit? Where’s the guts, huh?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/20/12 at 03:37 PM ET

Optimist.
Please welcome Pearce and Conks as your RW playoff tandem. Still I wish we could finally see McCollum in action.

Posted by Alex on 03/20/12 at 03:46 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

It’s not over until the last game of the season has been been played.  I’ll be there until the end.

Let’s go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 03/20/12 at 03:47 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 03/20/12 at 01:37 PM ET

“Ooh, we’re afraid to go with you Mr. Fluffy, we might get in trouble.”

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/20/12 at 03:47 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Optimist.
Posted by Alex on 03/20/12 at 01:46 PM ET

You’re right, I forgot Joey was out with back spasms when I wrote that. We are so screwed.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/20/12 at 03:48 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Meh…I’m just tired of the whiny bitches on TMR.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/20/12 at 03:50 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Meh…I’m just tired of the whiny bitches on TMR.
Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 03/20/12 at 01:50 PM ET

Well, then how about a Fresca?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/20/12 at 04:03 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Goat piss chased with Vernor’s sounds pretty refreshing right about now.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/20/12 at 04:12 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Believe   Believe !!!    Let’s go Red Wings..!!!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 03/20/12 at 04:13 PM ET

I keep thinking about Rick Pitino’s message to the Boston press years ago, only the names are different…“I got news for you: Steve Yzerman isn’t walking through that door. Brendan Shanahan isn’t walking through that door. Dominick Hasek isn’t walking through that door…”

Posted by godblender on 03/20/12 at 05:36 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I was feeling glum today and thought “Maybe the wings will have to go six or seven games to win the cup this year”

that’s what a Wings fan pessimist might think. Chin up, whiners!

with love,

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/20/12 at 05:39 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

lmao Mr. Fluffy, I hate but it’s because I care wink

I know what this team is capable of.. I’m not sure they do.  But to be fair, we don’t know what we have in this team til the puck drops game one of round one.

This is a yearly ritual, we gotta go through this.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/20/12 at 07:09 PM ET

I found an instant remedy from our current state of gloom and depression. It’s guaranteed or your money back.

Go to “Talk’n Hawks” in Blog section of Kukla’s Korner, scroll down and check out the number of comments.

That’s why we are the Wings nation, we take pride in our team, we care and we know that they will overcome the adversities that have been thrown at them.

I’m a believer again.

Posted by Alex on 03/20/12 at 09:58 PM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

Can someone, any one, please pray to the hockey gods and get them to stop all of these injuries!  That said, the Wings need to buckle down and figure out a way to win.  While their injury problems may have been worse than some, there’s still no excuses.  You win or go home.  So, LGRW!

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 03/20/12 at 10:45 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

Still I wish we could finally see McCollum in action.
Posted by Alex on 03/20/12 at 01:46 PM ET

Please, please tell me you are joking.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 03/21/12 at 12:03 AM ET

woodwardave's avatar

Still I wish we could finally see McCollum in action.
Posted by Alex on 03/20/12 at 01:46 PM ET

Do you remember McCollum showing us he wasn’t quite ready for prime time last year about this time in an embarrassing drubbing by the Blues? Granted, that night was a stinker on the level of the recent Anaheim and LA no-shows, but IIRC he subbed in for Conks after Conks got shelled…Thomas was really ineffective, and then Conks was put back in.

I know he’s our “future”, but damn if I don’t wish Mrazek wasn’t farther along, or that we pulled the trigger and got Nabby as an insurance policy…I’m hoping against hope that our goaltending isn’t what sinks us come April.

Groin injuries are tricky, and we are a Jimmah tear/re-aggravation and another team spitefully grabbing Conks away (a la Islanders/Nabby last year) from having a Pearce/McCollum tandem…and that doesn’t really put fear in *anyone*.

Posted by woodwardave on 03/21/12 at 04:52 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Let’s go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 03/20/12 at 01:47 PM ET

Thanks for saying this.  It is hard to imagine our team bouncing back from all these injuries (the goaltender situation being the most troubling) in playoff shape, but anything can happen.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!  One game at a time.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/21/12 at 11:00 AM ET

Please, please tell me you are joking.

Actually I am not. I do remember quite well his struggles the only time he played for RW. The game had been already lost by that time.
Still I think the kid deserves another chance to prove himself and the current absence of regular starting goaltenders might benefit him.
In any way I would like to see him start a game or two before playoffs.

Posted by Alex on 03/21/12 at 07:01 PM ET

Detroit MSM reporting Conklin cleared waivers.

Posted by Chris from DC on 03/21/12 at 07:03 PM ET