The Malik Report

Red Wings’ goaltending search waiting on chat with Osgood; assistant coaches to be named this week

Updated w/ news of Jamie Tardif heading to Boston at 6:22 PM: According to MLive’s Ansar Khan, the Detroit Red Wings have yet to decide whether the team wishes to bring back Chris Osgood or sign another back-up, presumably Ty Conklin, and that GM Ken Holland won’t make his decision until he speaks to Osgood after he returns from an overseas golfing trip on Saturday:

“Nothing’s happened. I want to wait,’’ Holland said. “There’s not a lot of options, but there are some options. I’m hoping to talk to Osgood in the next few days and then we’ll make our decision.’‘

[Ty] Conklin, 35, spent the past two seasons with St. Louis, which has opted not to re-sign him. Other backup goalies looking for work include Marty Turco (Chicago) and Ray Emery (Anaheim).  Buffalo and Columbus might be the only other teams in the market for a backup goalie.

Holland said he’s had conversations “with a few people.’’ He said if he’s forced to act before the end of the week then he’ll do so. But for now, he will wait. He said of a potential trade for a backup goalie, “Nothing intriguing.’‘

The New York Islanders might look to move Evgeni Nabokov, since they have two other goalies (Rick DiPietro and Al Montoya).

What the Wings might do this week is fill their assistant coaching vacancies:

“It’s down to a real short list,’’ he said. “I anticipate by the end of the week we’ll have everything in place.’‘

Two possibilities include former Florida coach Pete DeBoer and ex-Windsor Spitfires coach Bob Boughner.

The Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness confirms that the Wings’ goaltending search is parked in neutral for the present moment:

Nothing has happened,” Detroit general manager Ken Holland said Tuesday afternoon. “I think we’re going to wait.”

The wait points to Holland wanting to talk to Osgood before making a decision on a backup goalie. Osgood is in Scotland with a number of teammates taking part in a golf trip he received from them for winning his 400th career game last season.

“There really aren’t many options,” Holland said. “I’ll to talk to (Osgood) and then we’ll make our decision. I want to talk to him before we make our decision.

“Nothing will be decided until later in the week,” Holland added.

Former Wing Ty Conklin, 35, continues to look like the best fit in Detroit if Osgood doesn’t want to return.

Update: For the record, the Detroit News’s Ted Kulfan confirms that Ruslan Salei’s going to play for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl and Brad McCrimmon this upcoming season.

Update #2: According to WEEI’s DJ Bean, the Boston Bruins have signed former Griffins captain Jamie Tardif to a 2-year contract.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I’m hoping to talk to Osgood in the next few days

Is he going to talk to Osgood to get Ozzie’s opinion on which non-Osgood option they should sign?

I’m hoping that’s what it is.

Posted by Garth on 07/05/11 at 06:16 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

How about trading Hudler for Nabokov?  That could work.

But I still like Conklin.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 07/05/11 at 06:41 PM ET

How about trading Hudler for Nabokov?  That could work.

I wouldn’t even give up Hudler for Nabokov…

Posted by Garth on 07/05/11 at 06:52 PM ET

clownfat's avatar

I keep seeing Buffalo as listed as looking for a backup goalie. I don’t think they are, they qualified Enroth, he doesn’t qualify for arbitration, seems a deal of some sort will get done. He went 9-1-2 after Miller went down last year and basically got the Sabres into the playoffs, no way they let him go this year.

Posted by clownfat on 07/05/11 at 07:07 PM ET

11B4PF7 in MN's avatar

i wouldn’t even trade the rights for gennady stolyarov for nabakov.  if you don’t know who that is, just check out redwingscentral.com.

Snow is running the islanders like a teenager would run a team on a NHL video game.

Posted by 11B4PF7 in MN on 07/05/11 at 07:12 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Enroth is definitely going to be the Sabres’ #2 guy…

And the problem with trading with Snow is that he’d want a mint for Nabokov given his bargain-basement contract…

I think it really is Conklin or Osgood right now.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/05/11 at 07:19 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

It could be that Holland just wants to inform Ozzie of his decision before it’s made public.  That would be the decent thing to do.  We’ll just have to see.  If asked, I would expect Ozzie to insist he’s ready to play and wants to come back.  I don’t really see how that affects Holland’s decision.  The facts remain the same.  Ozzie hasn’t played since January, had a horrendous mess in his groin that may or may not hold together, and the Wings can’t wait until Ozzie plays - or can’t play - a few games before they try to get someone else.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/05/11 at 07:38 PM ET

DetCapC19's avatar

My guess is that he wants to see where Ozzie is health wise.  All things being equal, I think the Wings would rather have Osgood over Conklin provided that Ozzie can stay healthy.

I know we have a history with Conklin, but is he a better option than Turco?  I’m assuming Emery wants a starting gig but I dont see a lot of those out there.  He performed well last year.  I’d rather have him than Conks.

Posted by DetCapC19 from Vancouver, BC on 07/05/11 at 07:47 PM ET

awould's avatar

I think Holland is giving their scout in Scandinavia a couple days to convince the first 7 foot guy they find on the street to give it a shot. That place breeds goalies these days so I figure that random dude is at least as good a risk as any of the available guys. Did somebody mention Joey Macdonald?

Posted by awould on 07/05/11 at 07:49 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Osgood is done, playing wise and health-wise.  If you’re getting hurt so often what does that mean?  You are too old now and need to hang em up.  I thank ozzie as a wings fan for what he did, but he does not have a role on the team anymore.  He isn’t even good when he is playing.  His sv% is something sub .900 for the past few years.  Anyone who thinks he can still be our backup needs to get over their emotional attachment to this guy.  That includes Holland.  A veteran is worthless if his performance on the ice is no good.  Turco is awful.  No.  Bring back Larsson.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/05/11 at 07:53 PM ET

DetCapC19's avatar

Bring back Larsson.

Interesting.

Posted by DetCapC19 from Vancouver, BC on 07/05/11 at 07:55 PM ET

thethirdcoast's avatar

I’ve seen McCollum in person a couple times during last AHL season and to my ignorant hockey eye he looked like a guy ready to move up to the NHL. However, it doesn’t seem like many share my opinion of McCollum. If they can’t reach a deal with Conklin I’d be fine with the Wings giving the best Griffins prospect a shot during the first half of the season.

Posted by thethirdcoast from Algiers, DZ on 07/05/11 at 08:03 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

I think the hardest part here is how Ozzie(up to this point) left the game. He didnt want to go out like he did, and I dont blame him. Im sure its very difficult for him to let go with his own feelings of being ready to go. Whether that comes to fruition or not is another story. But lets give the guy a position in the organization in some capacity so he remains close to the team. He can still win another cup in that way. But its time to let go and step down. Ozzie, personally I love ya man, I have always been a huuuuge fan. But lets do whats right for the team, and get someone signed who can give us the same winning chance on Howie’s nights off. Im still leaning towards Conker as I have said before.

Once this is done we can discuss getting Hudler and his salary gone for someone or something(draft pick).

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/05/11 at 08:13 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, wishin’ I was back in the Mitten on 07/05/11 at 06:38 PM ET

I have this same suspicion.  Kenny wants to do right by Ozzie.  Also, he may be sending a message to the other goalies and their agents that he will not be rushed.

I disagree here.  The Wings actually can take a wait and see approach, if they choose to.  This is a backup position, which could be filled by a youngster from GR in a pinch.

However, I don’t think this is Tick Tock’s plan of action.  He will have a backup (not Ozzie) under contract soon, but he won’t be rushed into it.  Especially with the relative abundance of backup goalies right now.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 07/05/11 at 08:42 PM ET

I know we have a history with Conklin, but is he a better option than Turco?

I don’t know that he is, but Osgood is a better option than NONE of the names that have been bandied about.

I think it’s that and the simple fact that he doesn’t want Ozzie to hear about it while he’s on the 400th win golf trip in Ireland…

All things equal, I would love for them to sign Ray Emery.  He came back last year with a seemingly new attitude and he played well during his short stint with Anaheim.  And while I’m sure he wants a starting job, if he takes a one-year deal and plays well in 20-30 starts he could easily re-ignite his career.

Posted by Garth on 07/06/11 at 12:00 AM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Don’t overlook the possible fact that the target of Holland’s negotiations needs a phone call from Ozzie to seal the deal.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 07/06/11 at 01:15 AM ET

I know we have a history with Conklin, but is he a better option than Turco?

Turco probably is better than Conk, just not at The Joe. His record there is downright atrocious. Even though we would be playing on the home team, that has to be considered.

Posted by rc2id on 07/06/11 at 10:06 AM ET