The Malik Report

Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard wasn’t amused by Alex Burrows’ antics

When the Vancouver Canucks snapped the Detroit Red Wings’ 23-game home-ice winning streak, Alexandre Burrows celebrated his shootout winner in rather demonstrative fashion…

And, in a late-breaking notebook, Fox Sports Detroit’s Art Regner reports that Jimmy Howard was not particularly amused by what Burrows did:

“I don’t even pay attention,” Howard said of the Canucks. “They’ve got a bunch of idiots over there. There are only several good guys on that team, and they know who they are.”

The Canucks are a very cocky team, but even as a Wings fan, I can’t say that the Canucks did anything less than back up their boast that they would be the ones to finally defeat the Wings at the Joe, and to some extent…I think Burrows earned the right to do whatever the hell he wanted after scoring the game-winner.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Ducksworth's avatar

Burrows is classless, he proved that last year in the finals with the finger bitting incident so I wasn’t surprised by his celebratory actions.

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 02/25/12 at 12:27 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Burrows is a microcosm of why people can’t stand the Canucks anymore.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/25/12 at 12:36 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

And let’s see if the xenophobic old man on HNIC tonight calls Burrows out for his excessive celebration.

Wait, let me guess…it’s okay when a “good, ol’ Canadian boy” does it.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/25/12 at 12:38 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 02/25/12 at 12:51 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I agree totally with James F. Tiberius Howard’s assessment of that team.  Goons, divers, idiots.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/25/12 at 12:52 PM ET

Burrows actually said afterward he wasn’t even thinking about ending the streak when he did that—he was just so happy to win the game because of what it meant to the standings.

By the way, how is breaking a stick somehow a show of disrespect to the Red Wings? It’s nothing more than a waste of money, but it’s his and the team’s money, so who cares?

Posted by Derek O'Brien from Prague, Czech Republic on 02/25/12 at 12:55 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Derek this is the Team & Fans who had an cerebral hemorrhage over Sid Crosby celebrating winning the Cup with teammates to long instead of shaking Nik Lidstrom’s hand quickly enough. I watched it & I thought that someone would complain about it here but not a Player on the AMWings but Oh well that is life.

& for the record I despise the Canucks as a whole & Burrows in particular, He is a agitator & that is what agitators do ! they get under the skin of the opponents

Posted by Evilpens on 02/25/12 at 01:05 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Howard is entitled to his opinion and we are entitled to ours.

Again, even as a very passionate Red Wings fan myself, I felt that Burrows and the Canucks earned the right to celebrate their win as they did. It didn’t really bug me. Wings fans aren’t sheep, thank you very baa.

Just as importantly? He didn’t *actually* break his stick. That would have been a waste of carbon fiber.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/25/12 at 01:12 PM ET

What to hell!  Seriously, what a stupid thing to pick up on and write ANOTHER derogatory piece about the Canucks on.  Who on the Canucks is cocky?  Well, I guess literally they all are, being boys and all, but these are all just bitter statements and baseless observations from a bunch of jealous—I’m going to make an educated guess—little boys.  And you couldn’t be more wrong about Burrows being classless.  That’s just a catch-all word that really is being used too much and in incorrect application.  If you want to blame anyone blame the media for hyping the Wings’ unbroken streak.  Beating the Wings was the thing to do for almost 24 games, and the Canucks managed to do it.  They didn’t do it by cheating or diving or whining or anything else, they did it fair and square playing hockey that their coach will freely admit is modelled after the team he considers the best, the Wings.

And I guess if you really want to blame someone real bad go ahead and blame Howard.  He’s technically the one who lost the game, right?  So wouldn’t he be a little pissy and looking to deflect the attention somewhere else?

So take all your bitter little diatribes and columns about nothing and snarky little goaltender comments and all your sore-ass posts that completely ignore the wonderful hockey game we were lucky to watch, and just go back home and console yourselves until the next time these two great teams get to play each other.

Posted by peanutflower on 02/25/12 at 01:27 PM ET

I think it’s a little sour grapes on Howard’s part. Burrows didn’t make any demonstration towards the goalie, or the Wing’s bench, he was just pumped for his team. Is it that much different than when a goalie does a big fist pump after a SO win? Mike Smith practically has a choreographed dance he does after a SO victory, and when I see it I always think “well, he earned it”.

We’re always complaining that there’s not enough personality in the league, then when a guy shows some we want to bury him. Can’t have it both ways folks.

Posted by Mike on 02/25/12 at 01:30 PM ET

What a classless remark by Howard.

Posted by Adrian Crook on 02/25/12 at 01:41 PM ET

Garth : “Sure, the Canucks backed it up, but doing something well doesn’t earn anyone the right to be a classless piece of shit.”

I agree with that 100%

Posted by Nathalie from Montreal on 02/25/12 at 01:43 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

As I’ve said before, I really want to like the Canucks because right now they’re probably the most skilled team in the league.  There are beautiful elements to their game that frankly, as a hockey fan, you simply have to appreciate.

But then there’s the constant hacking and whacking after virtually every whistle,  the endless chest thumping, chirping and yapping, the constant diving followed by the subsequent bitching and whining about not getting the call.  It’s hard to erase the image of last year’s SCF performance which in many ways brought nothing but shame and disgrace to the game.

As for Burrows?  Why should anyone be surprised when a total ass-clown does something that total ass-clowns do?

The only STFU button you can push with that team is simply to go out and beat them.  Detroit didn’t do that.  Beyond that, I suppose they’re entitled to celebrate the win any damn way they choose.  There’s no rule after all that says a team has to carry themselves with any sort of dignity or respect for the game.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/25/12 at 01:45 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

As a competitor Howard should never be ok with that and should use it as motivation to be better.. not that he’s not great now but you can always be better

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/25/12 at 01:46 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m going to make an educated guess

The rest of your comment precludes any belief that you’re capable of doing this.

So Jimmy Howard doesn’t like the Canucks?  Ok. That’s one more thing I have in common with him.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/25/12 at 01:53 PM ET

Lack of critical thought - check
Narrow, ignorant perspective - check
Another group of cry babies upset because some celebrated an accomplishment - check

Definitely it’s the extremely successful philanthropist millionaires on that team without class. You can tell by way contribute to their community.  The 2 million the twins donated last year to the children’s hospital is the icing on the cake.

Posted by Nate on 02/25/12 at 02:32 PM ET

Oh look we have the idiot fans over here trolling. The canucks are a classless organization and Burrows leads that list. Howard is 100%right. Bunch of idiots. Classless idiots who will never win a cup

Posted by John on 02/25/12 at 02:53 PM ET

I was wondering when someone would bring this up. The people who should be mad at his antics are his teammates because i can guarantee the Wings will use that as bulletin board material.
Peanutflower your statement about Burrows not being classless is telling. HE BIT ANOTHER PLAYER ON LIVE TV DURING THE STANLEY CUP. Even a Nucks fan can’t excuse that behavior because its inexcusable. Oh and any game that ends in a shootout cannot be described as wonderful.
  Bottom line is that you’re right George, they won so they can celebrate any way they want. However if a Red Wing or a teammate of mine did this I would be embarrassed. I guess I was just raised and coached to believe that drawing attention to myself at the cost of “showing up” my opposition was a bad and undesirable thing.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 02/25/12 at 03:06 PM ET

And like that Evilpens is back up to his old crap.Still calling them AMwings? funny how you mock a teams sponsor while your team was bankrupt and had no corporate backing at all just a few short years ago…how times have changed.

as for the handshake incident that you say incensed us, imagine stevie Y or lidstrom doing that to Mario and then not apologizing for it.Lidstrom was first in line waiting as all captains are, im all understanding of the emotion in winning game 7 and getting carried away with the cup but red wings fans werent upset about him not shaking lidstroms hand immediately after but how he handled it in the press.never apologized, wasnt sincere in his explanation of the scenario that led to it and worse is he never reached out to Nick by phone to apologize.had he done that all would be forgotten and forgiven but alas he acted like alot of early twentysomethings would and im sure if he gets a chance to play again and make it to the finals he’ll handle it differently.

But back to the subject at hand, it was dick move by burrows everybody knows this.Nothing “genuine” about it. If Datsyuk did this in vancouver hockey hf would dedicate 4 threads to it.its a shame it wasnt a regulation loss because it takes the luster away from the streak being broken.anyhow, im glad when redwings players score big goals they dont act like that, it just motivates teams when they face you the next time.Thats why the canucks are hated and barely respected.

Ill even give evils team a nod.Ive never seen malkin or crosby do stupid crap like that and they have alot of big goals.

For gods sake even Luongo acted like he won the cup, so much for acting like youve been there before

Posted by ujustgotkronwalled on 02/25/12 at 03:06 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I challenge you to find me a team or player which does not donate to one charity or another.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 02/25/12 at 03:07 PM ET

I think Jimmy was referring to just a few players who are known for playing a very abrasive game… He wasn’t calling out the whole team, just 3 or 4 guys.

Let’s be honest here, nobody thinks those 3 or 4 players are very classy either.  That’s why they are the most hated team in the NHL.

It’s also worth noting to all the Nucks fans all the comments THEY make after games. They always have something to say about everything.

Posted by JHVRay on 02/25/12 at 03:08 PM ET

Great quote by Howard. Of course there was nothing bad about the Burrows celebration and they earned the right to celebrate this win in whatever fashion they want to. But Burrows celebration and Howards comments just shows how there is a rivalry developing between the propably 2 best teams in the West.

Im glad to again have a heated rivaly where both - players and fans are really involved with.

The Avs-Wings rivalry has died and is only carried out by a few supporters and Wings-hating journalists from the Denver area.

The rivalry with the Ducks was only short lived as they suddenly dropped out of the playoff picture.

So bring on Vancouver!

Posted by GermanRedwing from London (UK) on 02/25/12 at 03:12 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

I love Howie more and more by the day.  He shows emotion and passion, something that you don’t see too much with the solid Wings.  Not to mention he has developed into a monster in net.  I don’t like the particular “celebration” that Burrows chose and I don’t believe he didn’t have intention.  The stick snapping is just bigger than a coincidence.  He could’ve done the Anisimov snipe I don’t think it would’ve been as annoying.  It is classless because Burrows knew it was in recognition of snapping the streak.  Do I hate the Canucks now?  No, I’ve always hated the ginger *unts and burrows.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 02/25/12 at 03:49 PM ET

It was a weaksauce move by Burrows and he’d love to have it back but it is what it is.

I guess this winning streak everyone has been trying to crap on because it included shootouts meant more to the rest of the league than anyone admitted before it ended.

Posted by Probie on 02/25/12 at 03:59 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

There’s only one word of all those descriptions you used which has anything to do with class and the other three make that one easier to accomplish.

The funny thing is that nobody mentioned the Sedins before you did. We’re all talking about Burrows.  Hell, if you read the context about what Jimmy Howard said (you know… the thing that this post was about), you can probably infer that he’s not referring to them as idiots. Somehow, you feel like you have to come in and defend the Sedins, despite that they’re not under attack. It’s a good thing Canucks fans aren’t thin-skinned or anything…

Narrow, ignorant perspective - check

And that would be the double-check, bitch.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/25/12 at 03:59 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

I thought Lou’s reaction to winning was so ridiculous. Going down to one knee? Seriously Lou, stop being a choke artist before you decide to celebrate regular season wins, like you just won the Cup.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 02/25/12 at 04:01 PM ET

Posted by Probie on 02/25/12 at 01:59 PM ET

THIS.  Ten million times ten to the ten-millionth power this.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 02/25/12 at 04:07 PM ET

Wow so he celebrated, the streak is over and the wings lost a home game, big deal win the next one and move on. Why does everyone feel the need to insult two great teams, stop the bashing and enjoy hockey at its best. What a game and and that team that won deserved their celebration, it was a big game and a big two points for either team.

Posted by Mike on 02/25/12 at 05:00 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

It’s a good thing Canucks fans aren’t thin-skinned or anything…

It’s a fine source of amusement really.  It’s kinda like a loud smelly fart in a public place.  They wanna get mad at us for mentioning the stench, because that’s just so, ya know, impolite.  They have a team that yaps like a kennel full of chihuahuas, but really it is kinda rude of us to point it out every time they yap like a kennel full of chihuahuas.  I’m not saying it’s our fault they yap like a kennel full of chihuahuas, and we’re hardly the only fans around the league who’ve noticed the yapping chihuahuas and commented about them, but perhaps we should lead by example and be a little more sensitive the next time one of the chihuahuas in their kennel starts yapping.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/25/12 at 05:02 PM ET

wedge56's avatar

I had no problem with the stick breaking thing.  Guy is allowed to celebrate after a big, hard fought win.

I’m glad it pissed Howard off because it will serve as motivation if they meet again.

I still hate the flopping, diving, after the whistle cheap shotting Canucks however.

Posted by wedge56 on 02/25/12 at 05:15 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I will at least admit that just as I’m fine with what Burrows did and hold no more ill will,toward Vancouver than I did before—they’re a helluva team, regardless of their yippyness—but I’m fine with Howard getting pissed off, too, if it means one more stopped shot should Detroit and Vancouver meet again.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/25/12 at 05:47 PM ET

Ill admit it wasnt a very sportsmanlike gesture, but its not like Burrows actually broke his stick in front of Howard’s face, then proceeded to point and laugh at him.

And there was that incident earlier in the season where he was run over by Hansen. And I agree with him, I can understand why he was mad… but at least hold the officials accountable, they deserve a majority of the blame.

So theres two Canuck players… but thats not most of them, not even close.

Posted by Olafson from Canada on 02/25/12 at 05:58 PM ET

Honestly I was amazed at Burrows scoring that as that is his trademark move that he attempts 85+% of the time on penalty shot/shootouts….last minute forehand to backhand, top shelf. Howard should have had that and expected that cookie-cutter shot of his. This is the pros and I KNOW these goalies do their homework on shooters and get advice from the bench. The Ca-f*cks earned it.

Posted by Ry on 02/25/12 at 06:08 PM ET

Hello!  Do you even know how ridiculous you guys sound?
All this hissy fit because a player wants to celebrate a game winning goal.
Good grief… This is sports at it’s finest!
Think about where Burrow’s celebration ranks amongst other “questionable” goals celebrations we have seen prior.
And now give your head a shake.  Sheesh.

Posted by NHLRocks from Washington on 02/25/12 at 07:29 PM ET

Hey Jimmy maybe had you stood up in the net instead of flopping like you always do maybe he would’nt have scored! Ever think of that.

Posted by Gary from Winter Haven, Florida on 02/25/12 at 08:54 PM ET

The Canucks played a clean skilled game without flopping diving or showing poor sportsmanship. Jimmy is just a poor loser and whiner. He should be happy for the record and that it was a great game and great team they lost to and not some cheap goal or loser team that took them down. It’s the top team in the league that beat them. Jimmy makes the wings look whiney with his comments in the media.

Posted by Mr. Singh from Pennsylvania on 02/25/12 at 09:01 PM ET

It was the best winning home streak of modern day sports, and any one who sees differently I will personally karate chop in the adam’s apple.

Burrows can suck a D. See you in the playoffs…

Larry Murphy would be proud of the afternoon I just had

Posted by Jesters Dead on 02/25/12 at 09:44 PM ET

I love hearing red wings fans cry!! LETS GO CANUCKS!!

Posted by MR Hockey from US on 02/26/12 at 12:43 PM ET

so now we have another team that is showing
no class [wings]  how many canucks would
they love to have on there team
howard lost the game

Posted by jerry from chilliwack bc canada on 02/26/12 at 02:54 PM ET

I have no problem with Burrows celebrating his SO winner. He does however, get away with alot of cheap crap and won’t drop the gloves with anyone his size or bigger.

Howard reminds me of Patrick Roy. Pads and jersey are about 3 sizes too big.

Posted by Jeremy from Los Angeles on 02/26/12 at 03:31 PM ET