The Malik Report

Red Wings go into overdrive to recruit top targets, are willing to ‘fly all over the country’

Holy crap. I read it and I didn’t believe it, and now I’m gonna read it again, per MLive’s Ansar Khan:

New Jersey forward Zach Parise and Nashville defenseman Ryan Suter are the top two free agents in a thin class. The Red Wings will make a big push for both.

Owner Mike Ilitch and team advisor Chris Chelios were scheduled to fly to Madison, Wis., to meet with Suter at his farm, and Holland is expected to be in Toronto to meet with Parise and his agents, according to a source.

Chelios is a close friend of Suter’s uncle, Gary, his teammate with the Chicago Blackhawks. However, Suter’s agent, Neil Sheehy, said Saturday that neither he or Suter will meet face-to-face with teams. All business will be conducted over the phone.

“We (he and NHL general managers) all know each other, so there’s nothing meeting face-to-face is going to accomplish, at least initially,’’ Sheehy said. “If Ryan is uncertain, that (meetings) could come into play.’‘

Other clubs (Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Chicago, Los Angeles) are expected to bid for one or the other, or both. And both are expected to speak with their current clubs after exploring the market. So it might take a day or two for a decision.

Continued at some length. The quotes are the same, but holy s***, man…And no, I do not discount Khan’s tale. It would not surprise me if Ilitch does indeed show up on Suter’s doorstep sometime today.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

RorSchach's avatar

Oh please let me hear some great news tomorrow.. Like.. Suter… And Semin.. He is a Right handed shot after all!

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/01/12 at 02:16 AM ET

Oh, come on, I was almost settling with sutter and parise both not coming to the Wings, afer all the scaring posts today, and you go and post something like that!
How am I supposed to sleep, now?

=D

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 07/01/12 at 02:47 AM ET

Crow's avatar

In Illitch we trust.

Posted by Crow on 07/01/12 at 03:12 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

What time does this thing kick-off anyway?

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 07/01/12 at 03:26 AM ET

Man, really disappointed that Mr. I and Chelios will not be permitted to meet with Suter.  I agree strongly with Regner when he stated Mr. I can very very persuasive and honest-a master visionary. What a duo , Cheli and “I.”  Hearing that Suter will not do face-to-face further cements my belief that Ryan has chosen, and that is that.  I bet Mr. I still shows up at Ryans farm.  It’s a good sign if Suter tells Mr.I their is no need for you to come.

Posted by beelza on 07/01/12 at 03:42 AM ET

coverage on TSN (NHL network simulcasted? I don’t know as AT&T UVerse is still locked in a dispute over channel costs) 9:00 am EDT

11:59:599 (okay noon…) is when the league UFA begins

bet if Suter looks outside his door right now there’s a mysterious rented RV Camper there…

Posted by dca from in Mich on 07/01/12 at 03:43 AM ET

Y;know, I was only half-joking the past week about Mr. I showing up with Ken Holland at one driveway, and Mike Babcock at the other doorstep. This is assuming they’ll let the Wings people in. The Detroit Lions have done this before as well for free-agency.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/01/12 at 04:19 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I plan to turn everything off around 11:45 and get out on the bike for a few hours. Then crack a Two Hearted and think about whether I want to tune in. Really, the best UFA deals in my lifetime have happened when I was doing something else, anyway.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/01/12 at 09:48 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

“Don’t worry, about a thing.  ‘Cause every little thing, is gonna be alright”

-Bob Marley

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/01/12 at 10:14 AM ET

“Don’t worry, about a thing.  ‘Cause every little thing, is gonna be alright”

-Bob Marley

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/01/12 at 09:14 AM ET

Brilliant, HTO.  Cracking a can of Red Stripe to you, sir.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/01/12 at 02:02 PM ET