The Malik Report

Red Wings GM Ken Holand’s discussion with Chris Osgood set for Thursday evening…or Friday…

Updated with a bit more from Holland at 7:46 PM: Red Wings GM Ken Holland became a U.S. citizen today, but he did so with one foot out the door. With Jim Nill watching over the prospects in Traverse City, Holland headed to his off-season home in Vernon, British Columbia, where the Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness reports that Holland will meet with fellow Vernon off-season resident Chris Osgood to discuss Osgood’s future with the team:

“His initial reaction was he wants to play,” Holland said in a phone interview Tuesday afternoon. “Now he’s gone to Europe and had more time to think. I think the biggest thing is, time has gone by and you really start to decide what your priorities in life really are. I think it’s a good time now to sit down with him and talk about it.”

The two will meet Thursday night in British Columbia, Canada. Osgood, 38, returned Tuesday from a golf trip in Scotland with a number of his teammates. The trip was a gift they got him for recording his 400th career win last year. Holland said he has been texting back and forth with Osgood since he returned.

“We’re going to have a conversation face-to-face,” Holland said. “Sometime on Friday or Saturday, after talking to him, I’ll probably have a decision on what we’re doing.”

As we found out on Monday, the Wings decided to bring back Joey MacDonald as the team’s #3 goaltender, and as we found out this morning, Tomas Vokoun apparently approached the team before choosing to become the Capitals’ #1 goaltender. We know that the Wings have been talking to Ty Conklin as well, but what we don’t know—and what Holland doesn’t know—is what Osgood wants to do:

“We explored (free agentd on) July 1,” Holland said. “We had some interest in some guys and they chose to go elsewhere. We wake up after the dust settles on July 4 or July 5 and obviously Chris Osgood is still a legitimate candidate. It all depends what his thoughts are,” Holland added. “I want to talk to him and see what he’s thinking. That doesn’t mean if he wants the job it’s his job. I want to talk to him. Let’s take one step at a time. Let me talk to him.”

As for Holland’s gut feeling on what he thinks Osgood will say, he doesn’t really know.

“And that’s why I want to sit down with him,” Holland said. “I don’t know that he really knows. If he’s not ready to make a decision, that is a decision I would say,” Holland ended.

Let’s just guess that after all this time, Holland will let Osgood have another week or two to make up his mind if he’s not quite ready, but sooner than later, we’ll finally find out whether Osgood and Kris Draper—who didn’t want to sign a two-way deal and compete for a job during training camp as of a month ago—have futures with the Red Wings’ team or their hockey operations department instead.

Update: Here’s what the Detroit News’s Ted Kulfan managed to finagle from Holland:

Holland’s duties Tuesday taking the oath precluded him from doing any office work. But Holland still has two ticklish situations to deal with — the futures of Chris Osgood and Kris Draper.

Holland has put off talking with Osgood until they can meet this weekend in British Columbia. Osgood is flying to British Columbia on Wednesday following a golf vacation in Europe.

“I just want to talk with him face to face and see where he’s at,” Holland said.

As for Draper, Holland also expects to touch base with the veteran center this week to determine if there’s a place on the team for him.

Holland expects to keep 14 forwards, which could open the door for a spot for Draper.

Draper may have to fight for that spot with rookie Cory Emmerton, who is out of minor league options.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Working for Holland (Wings) must be enjoyable for everyone in the organsation.  He just does things the right way all the time.  Ossie will have a chance to say what he feels and we will see where KH goes with it.  Who knows it might not even include Conklin or Ossie?

Draper might be a tougher topic if he wants one way deal, I think.  I think the Stamkos deal when it happens will start a minor frenzy.  May be surprises ahead!

Posted by WingsRiders on 07/12/11 at 08:49 PM ET

Chet's avatar

unless holland is going to tell osgood that the wings don’t want him back, it seems like he’ll be back, no?

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 07/12/11 at 08:49 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I would like to think so but I’m going to give you my best educated guess as an expert person who knows what experts know about expert things:

I have no f***ing idea, and it worries me.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/12/11 at 08:51 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I have no f***ing idea, and it worries me.

And that is why we call him Tick-Tock.  The guy never fully shows his hand… and I thank him for it.  He will do what he feels is best for the organ-i-zation.  Right or wrong “In Kenny I Trust”.

Posted by calquake on 07/12/11 at 08:58 PM ET

Chet's avatar

if you believe that, he’s going to tell osgood he won’t be re-signed because conklin is headed back to detroit.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 07/12/11 at 09:00 PM ET

thethirdcoast's avatar

The problem I have with the arguments for bringing back Osgood as the backup at this point is that they all seem based on the idea, “What has this person done for the organization in the past?”

I don’t believe that is the correct question to ask in this situation. I believe the correct question to ask is, “What can this person do for the organization in the next 2-3 years?” At this point in their careers, particularly given Osgood’s health issues, I believe that Conklin can provide better answers to that question than Osgood.

Posted by thethirdcoast from Algiers, DZ on 07/12/11 at 09:26 PM ET

That friggin’ breaks my heart.  I really wanted Vokoun in a Wings sweater.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/12/11 at 09:46 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

As well as Conk Blonk played for the Wings a couple years ago, I’m not sure why everyone sees him as such a big upgrade from Ozzie…..injury issues aside I suppose.  Conlin’s 35 now, and his numbers from last year are ugly!  Like, brutal.  Ozzie, in a backup role, is by far the better goalie, probably even today.  As long as there is some kind of assurance on Ozzie’s health, coming from the doctors and not from Ozzie himself (which is tough obviously given how much self-reporting is a part of it) I don’t see how he can’t bring back a DRW legend, who’s been a big mentor for Jimmah.

Lost in all this Conklin talk is how bad he is these days.  I say go for someone like Emery (I know I’m throwing out injured goalies here).  I bet Joey Mac would be as good as Conklin next year.

Posted by BrendonR on 07/12/11 at 09:48 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

i agree with Chet. And i always though the nickname tick-tock made no sense.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 07/12/11 at 10:10 PM ET

I sincerely believe that the decision to attempt to be the backup goalie for my Beloved Red Wings is now up to Osgood.  Joey MacDonald is much better than many of the backups that have contracts in the NHL.  His being available will relieve the great moment in panic that may occur if Osgood has continued groin issues.

Of the unsigned goalies, the only one that interests me is Ray Emery.  He is a bone fide NHL starter if he can keep his head on straight and can stay healthy.  With Joey Mac in reserve, why not take a shot at him if Osgood decides to retire?

Conklin, throughout his career, has never had good puck control.  Almost every shot, he spits out a rebound.  He just blocks shots, he does not control the puck.  He must have a very strong defense in front of him to be effective.

Doc

PS:  Congratulations to Ken Holland on achieving U. S. citizenship.

Posted by DocF from Reidsville, NC on 07/12/11 at 10:15 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

He also had a crap blues defense in front of him..

He also has carried teams when needed, circa Fleury 07-08, had a great season the next season with Detroit.

That’s like blaming him for being bad in Columbus.. come on..

I’m torn and would be happy anyway this turns out.  If Ozzie’s back, good to have him still around and I assume they’d only bring him back HEALTHY.

If we get Conks, I’m cool with that, not to mention he’s a great fit in the locker room and has an Ozzie-esque “screw the last goal” mentality

And if we pick up Emery, well, we got another bonifide starter.

Only one I’d be mad about is Turco but I really don’t see that happening, especially after his last couple seasons in Dallas and then the Chicago debacle.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/12/11 at 10:26 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Holland has no balls when it comes to veterans.  I’m sorry.  I love the guy, he’s likely one of the best if not the best gm’s in the league.  There is a right way to approach players.  But there is also a point of being to soft, and drawing a line.  “We appreciate all you’ve done, but we’d like to go in a different direction.”  I’m sorry but if Osgood is resigned I guarantee we’ll see something less then ending on a good note.  I can’t believe the wings turned down vokoun in favor of other options.  Unbelieveable.  Your done ozzie.  Stop.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/12/11 at 10:30 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

...and conks is an upgrade on osgood.  After watching both the past year or 2.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/12/11 at 10:36 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/12/11 at 08:30 PM ET

While I’m completely with you on this, from what I understand it would have meant placing Jimmy on the back burner, as Vokoun wanted to be #1.  Now I’m ok with that, but its not typically how the Wings treat their players, except in the case of Cujo/Hasek.  Howie is their guy going forward, and they weren’t going to sign Vokoun and stunt Jimmy’s growth.

Overall, if Holland resigns Ozzie, and makes no other moves, this summer will go down as a dark spot on a very bright GM career, IMO.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/12/11 at 10:52 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

According to the actual story, things went the opposite way.

Vokoun approached the Wings but he decided to go to Washington instead. It was his call, not Detroit’s.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/12/11 at 11:00 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/12/11 at 08:30 PM ET

And yet, that is a big selling point for those players looking at DET as an option who AREN’T nearing the end of their careers.  “Stay here, and you’ll be rewarded in the end”.  Some teams are content with mercenaries… Detroit however wants the longer committment, and being loyal to Player A at the end of his career is seen by Players B and C, who are maybe in their prime and considering Detroit.

It sometimes *is* maddening, but it’s also just smart management in the big picture.  And it works, in the end.

Posted by Primis on 07/12/11 at 11:19 PM ET

George, I’ve been unable to find a way to PM or e-mail you so here goes.  I just found out I’ll be up in T.C. tomorrow for work, and schedules willing thought it would be nice to donate to your trip by buying you a steak dinner or something.  Please e-mail me at [George deleted your email address so you don’t get spam edit] and I’ll shoot you my contact info.

Posted by Dahrken from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/12/11 at 11:20 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 07/12/11 at 09:19 PM ET

Took the words out of my mouth.

Also, if you were Vokoun, you’d probably take the starting job in Washington over the back up job in Detroit as well, even if it was 1-B.

Posted by Dahrken from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/12/11 at 11:25 PM ET

Osgood has more intangables, he is just a damn good mentor, and gets along with other goalies. Honestly, who else in the league could split starts with Dom Hasek and have no goalie issues? Only Ozzy. He is unselfish in his approach to the team and has been Howards mentor since day one. I don’t care if he doesnt play a single game because when there is a tough loss in the playoffs I want him in the locker room next to Jim more than I want a few extra wins from conklin.

Posted by Joe on 07/13/11 at 12:15 AM ET

I would love this option.  I think it’s easily the best option available.

Yes, and they’ve already kept him around past his Best Before date, so what about the guy who’s interested in winning and sees a team that either chooses the aging vet to the detriment of the team, or that toys with the vet and says “hey, maybe we’ll sign you to a two-way contract and you can compete for the 14th forward spot with a kid who’s played 2 NHL games, thereby choosing to either screw a kid out of his chance to play for the Wings or send a 40 year old veteran down to Grand Rapids so his contract doesn’t stay on the Red Wings books and he can technically retire as a Grand Rapids Griffin.

Yeah, who wouldn’t see that as a negative?

Posted by Garth on 07/13/11 at 12:48 AM ET

Posted by Joe on 07/12/11 at 10:15 PM ET

Jimmy doesn’t need a mentor.  He needs a capable NHL goalie behind him so he and the team don’t have to worry about him burning out from playing too much.

Great, Ozzie split a season with Hasek.  That’s wonderful if Ozzie has shown that he’s capable of playing the way he played in 07-08, and if we were looking for a goalie who could platoon.

a) He wasn’t in the locker room beside Jim in the playoffs.  At all.
b) You don’t care if he doesn’t play a game?  That’s great, let’s have Jimmy burn himself out playing 82 games, lay an egg in the playoffs and lose because Chris F*cking Osgood is the back up they have to lean on..

Posted by Garth on 07/13/11 at 12:57 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

In unrelated news… I’m posting it here because this is the most recent Wings post so I figure people might see it and be amused by it…

Derek Jeter skipped an All Star game today because of mental and physical exhaustion (he did, also, just come back from an injury.  Bud Selig pulled a Bettman… oh wait.  He went the other, completely opposite direction.  Here’s his quote from the ESPN article:  http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/6761243/new-york-yankees-derek-jeter-skips-all-star-festivities-creates-stir

“Let’s put the Derek Jeter question to bed: There isn’t a player that I’m more proud of in the last 15 years than Derek Jeter,” Selig said. “He has played the game like it should be played. He’s even been a better human being off the field as great as he is on the field. So any concerns that I keep hearing about Derek Jeter, I know why Derek Jeter isn’t here. I respect that. And I must tell you I think I would have made the same decision that Derek Jeter did.

“Derek Jeter has brought to this sport great pride. He’s become a role model. Earned it. Still earning it. And so any suggestion that I, or anybody else, is unhappy with him about not being here is just false.”

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/13/11 at 12:58 AM ET

And lastly this:

makes me think that Holland doesn’t expect Ozzie to be back.

Posted by Garth on 07/13/11 at 01:04 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by shanetx on 07/12/11 at 10:58 PM ET

Even a total hack of a car-salesman commissioner such as Selig is light years ahead of that slimy, miserable, disgusting, greedy little troll who runs the NHL.  Wow.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/13/11 at 02:23 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

So…

Osgood: “Ken, I want to play next season”

Holland: “Are you sure you’re healthy?”

Osgood: “Yeah I’m sure, I’m healthy and want to play next season”

Kenny: “Well, why don’t you take a vacation and sit on this thought for a while, eh?”

A couple of weeks later…

Osgood: “Ken, I thought about that real hard, and maybe I can’t guarantee you my health for a full season… Sorry”

Holland: “Gee, Chris, that’s a bummer. Well, thanks for everything, we’ll soon discuss your new role” [thinks to himself: “I still got it”]

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/13/11 at 02:54 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I still feel that everything Holland says hints toward Ozzie not returning.  I’m sure Ken would be happier if Ozzie made this decision himself.  We just have to wait and see.  But the waiting is maddening!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/13/11 at 11:50 AM ET