The Malik Report

Red Wings forward Mike Modano waffles on retirement plans

Oy, vey. Mike Modano spoke to the media after Thursday’s optional Red Wings practice, and, as NHL.com’s Brian Hedger noted, Modano, well hedged on his promises to retire:

Q: You wouldn’t say you regret this season, would you?

Modano: Your initial thought is a little regret because of what you went through, but no one can ever predict it would happen, the severity of the injury and what all took place. Maybe it was a sign that … I should’ve stayed away.
...
Q: Have you given any thoughts to what you’re going to do with your future?

Modano: Kind of mulled over it a lot, now that I’ve certainly got a lot of free time on my hands to think about it and what my plans are. A knee-jerk reaction is to kind of say ‘That’s it,’ and be done with it because the frustration level is fairly high at this point. So you’re able to make some quick judgments without really thinking it through. Let the dust settle a little bit and then make a decision on it.

Q: If you were to come back, would you like to come back here or somewhere else?

Modano: Depends. Those would be conversations for later with Kenny. See how their personnel line up here, but they’ve got some good young players that are ready to make that jump and have had their days of grooming in Grand Rapids and are probably ready. That’s probably for down the road, as well.

Q: Last summer, you didn’t make final decision until August. Do envision making a quicker decision this year?

Modano: I don’t know. I think I’ll probably have some of the same issues and problems with making that decision again. That’s just something that, as I’ve gotten older I’ve had a tougher time dealing with and trying to understand what to do and make the right decision. There’s been days where I’ve felt in November that I was pretty excited about it and thought maybe there would be something beyond this year and then March comes and that feeling changed pretty quick. To make a 100-percent-sure decision, that’s always tough.

Q: Does the way this seems to be unfolding for you here, does that affect your decision at all?

Modano: I’ve been saying I want to leave on a better note for the last three years and they’ve all turned out the same. Some frustration about not making the playoffs [in Dallas], and then obviously being here and not being able to be a part of it at this point, so there is a little bit of disappointment the last three years.

The Wings would probably attempt to accommodate him if he wants to return.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

How can an injury be a regret? Or did I miss a decision he made during the season?

Posted by NathanBC on 05/05/11 at 04:29 PM ET

I really wish we would have used Modano in the lineup instead of Draper… Modano has a scoring threat ability more than Draper has.  He blends with the lines, and does the job.

I honestly feel that if he wouldn’t have been injured during the season that he would have made a bigger difference in the team…

Posted by Kc_Wings from Livonia on 05/05/11 at 05:14 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

They’d be nuts to bring him back. He’s had a great career, but the Wings and Modano need to move on and go their separate ways.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/05/11 at 05:25 PM ET

I wouldn’t mind him coming back. I wish he’d have gotten more of a chance down the stretch and in the playoffs. His size and speed still make for a dangerous combo, and he has offensive skills still. I think he’d have made a big difference on this team if healthy.

Posted by Erinabeth on 05/05/11 at 05:50 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I think he’d be playing if he hadn’t already declared he was going to quit after this season.  How dumb was it to start talking about that before the playoffs even started?!?  I don’t see him coming back.  He isn’t whole-heartedly committed to the idea, but any stretch.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/05/11 at 06:53 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

...“by” any stretch.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/05/11 at 06:53 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

last thing we need is a wishy washy flake in the dressing room.. people who disappear if it’s not easy against the other team.  Doesn’t sound like a competitor to me, first sign he’s done.  He wants to play to not feel old.. but bein’ old is all he talks about.. and being out of shape.. let him go..

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/05/11 at 07:06 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

i say let the man play friday. Atleast he will have had 1 playoff game with the guys. And who knows, Big Mo could get one.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/05/11 at 07:34 PM ET

The Wings would probably attempt to accommodate him if he wants to return.

Is that a hope or a guess or is it based on stuff you’ve heard?  Because I really really hope they don’t…

Posted by Garth on 05/05/11 at 08:01 PM ET