The Malik Report

Red Wings evening ramble: on roster moves to come, Brian Lashoff and inevitable Bertuzzi banter

My theory about the Red Wings’ roster machinations to come is a simple one: given that the Wings have re-signed Kyle Quincey to a 2-year deal which will probably look downright reasonable a year from now, and that the team’s going to re-sign Justin Abdelkader shortly and then more or less wait for Shane Doan to make up his mind while Ken Holland comes back to Detroit to have that sit-down talk with Tomas Holmstrom:

I’d gather that the Wings will wait out the free agent market to determine whether Doan or Alex Semin are interested in coming to Detroit and/or can be had for reasonable wages, they’ll move on to looking at the “c” market regarding adding a goal-scoring forward, they’ll decide which band-aid defenseman or two may be the best “fit”...

And now that the team’s struck out on Rick Nash, I’d imagine that the team will definitely kick the tires on Bobby Ryan and whichever defensemen may be available via trade, but I don’t see the Wings moving with any urgency there.

Instead, with Tootoo and Mikael Samuelsson in the fold, and if I’m reading the tea leaves right, Tomas Holmstrom possibly going the tryout route, the Wings may just sit things out until the new CBA’s settled, maybe hoping that either some teams will have to shed salary, or that, more simply, as training camp and the exhibition season get underway, some teams might find themselves with the same kinds of gluts on the blueline that the Wings find themselves in with 16 forwards under contract.

Maybe, as RikPrimis suggested on Twitter, by fiddling around with Capgeek’s depth charts to determine which teams have too many defensemen on one-way contracts and a little bit of phone-working, Ken Holland and co. can find a way to more meaningfully address the Wings’ lack of depth on the blueline via a trade once the Wings’ 16 forwards have had the training camp and the exhibition season to compete for jobs, and potential trade partners’ teams have determined their “winners” and “losers” as well.

Otherwise, I’m assuming that the Wings feel a little urgency to figure out which players they want to add to the Grand Rapids Griffins’ roster to serve as NHL-ready call-ups, and after that…

It’s slow.

And in a “slow” environment, one never knows what to believe regarding Mr. Doan, especially given that Doan’s agent was talking to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s rather tabloid-esque Josh Yohe today:

It’s worth noting, however, that Fox Sports Detroit’s Ken Daniels spoke to The Fan 590‘s Greg Brady this morning, and he discussed the dismissed Rick Nash deal, the challenges facing the post-Nicklas Lidstrom Wings and his belief that the Wings will indeed make a trade to add a top-pair defenseman. Daniels believes that the Wings’ defensive corps is solid, but at the same time, he believes that it’s absolutely imperative that the Wings make a move in addition to signing a free agent to stabilize the blueline:

Download file

In terms of actual as opposed to theoretical “future Wings” the Left Wing Lock’s Sarah Lindenau wrapped up her coverage of the Wings’ summer development camp with a profile of Brian Lashoff, who will all but inevitably graduate to the Red Wings’ blueline over the next two or three years:

“I try to make the right play at the right time with a physical edge,” Lashoff said. “I think my style of play doesn’t get as much press as a guy like Brendan Smith, but that’s fine with me. Smitty is an exciting player with great offensive skills, but I like to play solid in my own end and focus more on the defensive game.”

The 6-foot-3, 212 pound defenseman is coming off his second season with Grand Rapids. In 76 games last season for the Griffins, Lashoff scored 8 goals and 19 points while playing in all situations.

“I found a role for myself last year,” He said. “I played every game and I was on one of the top penalty killing units while also getting some power play time. I was able to contribute on both ends of the ice so I was pretty happy with how things went.”
...
Lashoff, who signed as a free agent with the Red Wings in 2008, is entering the final year of his three-year entry-level contract. He has a lot on the line this season and wants to show he can be counted on to step into Detroit’s line-up if needed.

“Every year there is a little more pressure, but going into this year I want to make an impression that I am ready to take the next step,” he said. “I played a lot last year so going into camp this year I want to be as strong as possible. Hopefully I can get a couple games in Detroit. I feel like I can be a guy who can be used as depth this year and I can step in and play reliably if needed.”
...
“I’d like to be a guy who’s counted on every night [in Grand Rapids],” Lashoff said. “I want to be a top two pairing guy and I would like to take a leadership role. I think I am ready for that and that is something the coaching staff wanted me to do last year.”

And regrettably shifting toward gray areas of an entirely different and darker variety, I have no idea whatsoever as to what I’m supposed to make of Yahoo Sports’ Greg “Puck Daddy” Wyshynski, NBC Sports’ Jason Brough or, via RedWingsFeed, the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater’s take on Mile High Hockey’s Jeff Shumway’s two-part conversation with former Avalanche enforcer Scott Parker, or his attempts to rationalize the Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore incident.

All I know is that enforcers who give exclusive interviews in July seem to be in the shift-disturbing business in more ways than one, and that, put bluntly:

Todd Bertuzzi has never been anything other than a model, if grumpy, citizen as a Red Wing, and that the Wings’ players, coaches and management laud the kind of grown-up Bertuzzi has become during his two tenures in Detroit. He’s had a very hard road and has become a better person because of it…

But I think that I speak for every Red Wings fan in suggesting that no matter how one attempts to reconcile what Bertuzzi did, we all believe that he should pay a substantial portion of his earnings to Steve Moore.

What happened happened, and the sooner Tim Danson allows Moore to collect his pay-out and end eight years of waiting to move on with his life, the better.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Still wondering of Scott Gomez gets his buyout in Montreal.  Reclamation projects are Detroit’s specialty!

Posted by Jay on 07/18/12 at 09:47 PM ET

I’ll willingly say I’m a proponent of banning fighting from hockey, and I abhor the goons are good / players should police themselves mentality, but Bertuzzi was acting on instructions from his employers (coach, owner, and league) in retaliating as he did.

So I disagree, Bertuzzi should not have to pay any of his earnings to Moore. Yes, Bertuzzi’s action was violent, and yes, Moore has a fair grievance. But his true grievance is with the power structure of the employing organization that promotes violence amongst its employees. The League should be held accountable.

Posted by Brad Hughes on 07/18/12 at 10:50 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Over and over again, the idea that a man isn’t responsible for his own actions because he was “just following orders” has failed to work in courts of law.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/18/12 at 11:01 PM ET

Yes, I agree, to an extent. But what I’m saying here is that Moore’s grievance is not with Bertuzzi himself but with the culture that led to this. Those who try to lay this all on Bertuzzi are in effect absolving those who profit from the violence—the owners. What I’m saying is that by making Bertuzzi pay—and look in his eyes in interviews, you don’t think he’s paid?—the league, and its deplorable culture of violence, gets off scott free.

Posted by Brad Hughes on 07/18/12 at 11:18 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

My only problem with that theory is that Tim Danson’s desire to put Marc Crawford, the Canucks and the NHL on trial (as well as suing Bertuzzi in civil court) in hopes of landing a $50-plus-million pay-out is the reason that Steve Moore has more or less been in limbo for eight years so that everybody can be held responsible.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/18/12 at 11:25 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Oh I definitely agree with Brad that the system HAS to be on trial in this every bit as much as (if not more than) Bertuzzi.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/18/12 at 11:35 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Well whatever happens, it’ll happen this fall. I hope Bert has a team to come back to instead of a lockout to endure.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/18/12 at 11:43 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

On a non-Tuzzi note, I’ve liked Lashoff in the few games I’ve seen him (mostly the Prospects Tournaments), and I definitely agree with the “next two years” assessment. Should be a great help to the defensive side of the blueline.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 07/19/12 at 12:00 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

What Bertuzzi’s legacy will be is no secret.  I just hope for his sake, that after he writes the check for his settlement, he will have payed enough for the nightmare to be over for him.  People talk about him like he is a murderer, which isn’t totally unfair, but the fact is he was allowed back in the game and he has been a model citizen since.  No one wants to give the guy credit for being “reformed.”  I guess thats life.

I just hope he can find some cause of action to sue Marc Crawford and the Canucks for their complicity in what happened.  I don’t know what that would be, but it would be just if they had to pay part of his settlement.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/19/12 at 12:13 AM ET

George, I don’t know all the legal maneuverings which resulted in this taking so long, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the league forced Danson’s hand along the way, and that part of that was keeping Bertuzzi’s civil case active. They don’t want to be on the hook.

We’ll see what happens.

Posted by Brad Hughes on 07/19/12 at 12:13 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I never want to see the game without fighting.  I think it fundamentally changes the game, and I wouldn’t care for it as much.  I appreciate “pretty” hockey but I’m a blue collar guy and as much as I don’t run around fighting all the time, as Trace says, “You gotta whoop a man’s ass sometimes”

Goons are pretty much out of the game at this point.  Not a lot of players left that are straight bruisers.  Parros is about the last of them.  Not that I had a problem with them, I’m not above anyone finding a way to a) wing games b) earn a living.  I might pay to go to watch hockey, but I love getting to see a fight too.

I think the NHL and media enjoy kicking this hornets nest from time to time to take away from their incredible failure to protect players heads.  Fighting ALWAYS gets lumped into that injury catagory even the the OVERWHELMING amount of head injuries are from wreckless GUTLESS play.  Matt Cooke might not have ended Savards career if Lucic was allowed to pull him aside and give him a talking to.

I have faith in people and players, we don’t need a nanny state of hockey.  Right now, the system we have is, don’t change the equipment, make sure the guy doesn’t have to answer for it physically, give him a ridiculously small suspension, if at all, depending on who you play for or who you are, and if any executive takes it seriously, you ream him at the owners meeting then snub him first year for the HoF.

And we all the know the refs are the best in pro sports, bar none, right?

Leave fighting, take out the intigator.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/19/12 at 01:25 AM ET

gusoline's avatar

Something I’ve been wondering (and I haven’t seen any of his actual play) if the Wings were going to submit an offer sheet, why not Evander Kane?  Coming off an entry level deal, new contract would be significantly higher, but lower than what Semin is asking for, for example so picks are lower, and he appears to have a great upside.

Thoughts from anyone?

Posted by gusoline on 07/19/12 at 01:26 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Berts mistake was not having honor doing it.  Dont’ shoot a guy in the back.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/19/12 at 01:26 AM ET

snafu's avatar

I too disagree that Bertuzzi should pay most of his earnings to Moore.  Moore was never going to earn anything close to what Bertuzzi would in the NHL.  He was a borderline player trying to win a roster spot.

Even putting that aside, society has a mechanism in place to punish violent acts.  That we don’t like what the British Columbian law doled out is tough noogies.  Moore may have been robbed of some earnings, and one can make case for trying to make him whole in that regard, however there is no reason to keep punishing Bertuzzi above and beyond what the law specifically calls for in this case.

Posted by snafu from North America on 07/19/12 at 01:32 AM ET

perfection's avatar

I still believe the Moore injury was basically a fluke on a type of violent play that’s happened roughly one billion times in NHL history (including the fan favorite McCarty turtle play).

I think the LEAGUE should be paying Moore as he was hurt ON THE JOB, a job that has pretty severe risks in fact. the fact that it was from a punch by Bertuzzi, the very kind of act the league has made a lot of money on, doesn’t really change much for me. Not to say Bertuzzi shouldn’t be “punished”, as what he did was dirty and definitely endangered his opponent… just like the thousand other plays we saw Shanahan dole out 3 game suspensions for this past season.

Bertuzzi was humiliated, investigated, charged, and served a lengthy suspension. His career took a huge step back because of this incident. He was punished and he has paid for it. The idea that he has to pay financial reparations directly to Moore for something that happened on the ice, in the context of a game, seems kind of absurd to me. But hey, to each their own I guess…

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/19/12 at 01:34 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Yup, I do not believe that Bertuzzi at this point should be transferring a subsantial, if any, portion of his earnings to Moore.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/19/12 at 02:58 AM ET

Shea Weber reportedly signed 14 year offer sheet with the Flyers….

Wings better go after Yandle

Posted by dca from in Mich on 07/19/12 at 03:54 AM ET

No disrespect but I don’t think a “substantial” amount of bertuzzi’s pay should go to Steve Moore. But that’s my opinion. And nobody really cares what I think. Couldn’t agree with you more on the Bobby Ryan thing though. If the wings made “a hell of an offer” for Nash they should copy and paste that same damn offer and see if Anaheim bites. Wings have become so frugal lately though that I wouldn’t be shocked if the offer really wasn’t all that great. I hope the details leak on what exactly the offer was. I’m fully prepared to engage full on panic mode for this season if we go the god forsaken “bargain bin” route.

Posted by NHLrick on 07/19/12 at 05:44 AM ET

if Burtuzzi dint make the money hes making then what would u exspect him to pay?

Posted by david enrici from macomb mich on 07/19/12 at 11:50 AM ET

Don’t think Bert should be paying Moore either.

Posted by wingsluver4ever from Hockeytown North on 07/19/12 at 01:32 PM ET

Bertuzzi did nothing wrong in my opinion. Moore was a hired goon that took shots at high end superstars. Just weeks earlier taking St. Louis out then going after Mr. Yzermans surgically repaired knee. When I saw him go after Naslund I knew there would be payback. There SHOULD be. Isnt Bertuzzis fault that Moore is a coward that continually ran away that entire game. Finally in the third period Todd decided to settle the matter. Even Sakic is disgusted with Steve Moore. Any of you that sympathize with Moore arent true fans and need to go and watch tindlywinks. At least know the sport before passing judgement on Bertuzzi.

Posted by adam on 07/19/12 at 10:47 PM ET