The Malik Report

Red Wings evening news from Pleiness: Hudler’s gone, on RFA’s and the Schultz Popularity Contest

Updated with confirmation from Khan at 11:28 PM: Well color me as surprised as I was to hear the Free Press’s Helene St. James state that the Red Wings would have to pay both arms and three legs (or something close to that) to pry Rick Nash from Columbus, or that Governor Snyder, according to the Detroit News, anyway, approved the waiver allowing liquor to be sold at the Winter Classic: According to the Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness, Wings GM Ken Holland has resigned himself to the fact that Jiri Hudler is probably bolting for more money than the Wings can offer him:

“Right now it looks like he’s going to July 1,” Holland said Thursday.

Hudler could be expecting a big payday on July 1 after scoring a career-high 25 goals last season to go along with 25 assists and finished a plus-10 in the plus/minus category. Only New Jersey’s Zach Parise (31 goals) and Anaheim’s Teemu Selanne (26 goals) scored more among players eligible for unrestricted free agency.

Hudler could be looking for the type of money Colorado gave forward David Jones this offseason. Jones, who scored just 20 goals and had 17 assists, got a four-year deal with $16 million.

“He’s 28, he’s coming off a 25-goal season,” Holland said last week. “He’s got the right to go to free agency. We’ll see what happens. Right now Jiri will continue take time to determine what he wants to do.”

Pleiness also offers updates regarding the Wings’ restricted free agents in Justin Abdelkader and Kyle Quincey…

The Wings would like to get Abdelkader to sign a four-year deal at just under $2 million a season.

Quincey could be more difficult to sign at the number the Wings want since he made $3.25 million a year ago. They’re hoping to get him at a modest raise.

And in a different blog entry, he spoke to Holland about Justin Schultz. Holland is not amused by the way in which Schultz and his agents are ensuring that their client is wined and dined, nut only by the teams that Schultz deems interesting enough to wine and dine him:

Wings GM Ken Holland at this to say about not getting a chance to meet with unrestricted free agent defenseman Justin Schultz, “When he chose to not sign with Anaheim there were 29 other teams that he could have played for. I didn’t think all 29 teams would get an audience. I don’t know what his priorities are, but we weren’t on that list.”

Schultz reportedly has narrowed his list of teams he will meet with to Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa and the New York Rangers.

Finally, yes, I have a sinus bug, and no, I don’t know if I’ll be back tomorrow or not, but I am feeling majorly, majorly guilty for taking the last day and a half off. I’m really sorry about this but I’ve gotta try and rest guilt-free for a little while.

Update: Via RedWingsFeed, MLive’s Ansar Khan confirms:

Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland had a couple of conversations this week with Hudler’s agent, Petr Svoboda, but they remain far apart in money.

“It looks like he’s going to July 1,’’ Holland said on Thursday.

The Red Wings are hesitant to pay Hudler much more than $3.2 million per season. He earned $2.875 million in 2011-12, when he scored a career-high 25 goals and had 50 points.

Scoring is at a premium in the NHL and the free-agent class is thin. Only two players – Zach Parise of New Jersey (31) and Teemu Selanne of Anaheim (26) – scored more goals among unrestricted free agents. And Selanne is certain to re-sign with the Ducks.

So there should be a considerable market for Hudler. Despite his lack of size (listed at 5-10, 186) and speed, Hudler has good finishing ability and goes to the net. On the open market, he could probably land a deal worth $4.5 million a season.

The Red Wings have ample salary-cap space – roughly $18 million after they re-sign restricted free agents Kyle Quincey and Justin Abdelkader later this summer and ink Swiss star Damien Brunner, possibly on Sunday. But much of that is set aside for an aggressive pursuit of premier free agents Ryan Suter and Zach Parise.

The Red Wings don’t want to disrupt their pay structure by slotting Hudler ahead of Johan Franzen, whose cap hit is $3.95 million. And they don’t want to pay him more than what they anticipate giving Valtteri Filppula on his next deal – he will enter the final year of his contract at $3.5 million.

Svoboda did not respond to phone messages.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

RWBill's avatar

I still have a headache looking at that.

Posted by SYF from a drunken Guinness blitz on 06/29/12 at 01:07 PM ET

I just remembered the funniest thing about that picture, monkey picked out that I was “double fisting Febreze” -
HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROFLMAO.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/29/12 at 02:19 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I guess in Aby’s defense Helm is a totally different player.  Aby seems to be called upon to be the physical presence and the fighter (which he is poor at).  He needs to realize he is a 4th Liner and be paid likewise. Not much more than Eaves 1.2 M

I am still pissed at what Quincey cost the Wings but hope he proves me wrong.

I really liked what I saw of Miller last year.  Hate to admit Prust would be a good addition but he takes too many Dumb penalties at Dumb times and wants a big raise apparently.

Mueller , Parenteau, Garrison are interesting with the addition Nyquist and Smith.

Forgot about Doan, don’t like him but his wife is great and from Saskatoon.  He would push Bert out of top 6, IMO.  I see him going to the Jets though, sort of ironic?

And from a Goalie please get someone that can play 25 +/- and push Howie.

I get a feeling there will be more Big trades July 1 than UFA.

No OTT, Tootoo

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/29/12 at 02:21 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I need to change the signature, I was past tense in Daytona over Father’s Day weekend.  I’m in Virginia home now, just missing the thatch roofed tiki bar.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/29/12 at 02:22 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

So Brodeur going the UFA route might be a sign that Parise might not play with no Number 1 goalie in Jersey.

Or Lou is making some Cap Room.

Brodeur going UFA sounds really wrong for me, he should retire a Devil.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/29/12 at 02:27 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

The Black & Decker kitchen appliance is a nice touch too Bill.  LOL

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/29/12 at 02:39 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Brodeur going UFA sounds really wrong for me, he should retire a Devil.
Posted by WingedRider on 06/29/12 at 01:27 PM ET

I need to look that up.  Hadn’t heard that.  Doesn’t speak well for the stability of that franchise.

Abdelkader is extraordinarily responsible defensively, knocked away hordes of rebounds and played goaltender more than anyone except Stuart.  He’s gone hard to the net and had bad puck luck with goals not going in.  I don’t think he should get $2, maybe 1.5, 1.5, 1.75, 1.75 for four years, or finish at 2.0.

I wonder if his agent is dicking around.  .250 or .500 could get lost in a cap of 70.2, but the Wings could be structuring him as part of a trade package because he does have good trade value.  I still maintain they consider him a core part of their future but aren’t going to way over pay his agent.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/29/12 at 02:42 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

The Black & Decker kitchen appliance is a nice touch too Bill.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 on 06/29/12 at 01:39 PM ET

Hahahahahahahahaha Black and Decker toaster oven.  Old Piece ‘o crap needs to be tossed.  Thanks for reminding me, it’s just taking up room but I keep forgetting it’s there.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/29/12 at 02:45 PM ET

« Previous        < 1 2