The Malik Report

Red Wings evening news from Pleiness: Hudler’s gone, on RFA’s and the Schultz Popularity Contest

Updated with confirmation from Khan at 11:28 PM: Well color me as surprised as I was to hear the Free Press’s Helene St. James state that the Red Wings would have to pay both arms and three legs (or something close to that) to pry Rick Nash from Columbus, or that Governor Snyder, according to the Detroit News, anyway, approved the waiver allowing liquor to be sold at the Winter Classic: According to the Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness, Wings GM Ken Holland has resigned himself to the fact that Jiri Hudler is probably bolting for more money than the Wings can offer him:

“Right now it looks like he’s going to July 1,” Holland said Thursday.

Hudler could be expecting a big payday on July 1 after scoring a career-high 25 goals last season to go along with 25 assists and finished a plus-10 in the plus/minus category. Only New Jersey’s Zach Parise (31 goals) and Anaheim’s Teemu Selanne (26 goals) scored more among players eligible for unrestricted free agency.

Hudler could be looking for the type of money Colorado gave forward David Jones this offseason. Jones, who scored just 20 goals and had 17 assists, got a four-year deal with $16 million.

“He’s 28, he’s coming off a 25-goal season,” Holland said last week. “He’s got the right to go to free agency. We’ll see what happens. Right now Jiri will continue take time to determine what he wants to do.”

Pleiness also offers updates regarding the Wings’ restricted free agents in Justin Abdelkader and Kyle Quincey…

The Wings would like to get Abdelkader to sign a four-year deal at just under $2 million a season.

Quincey could be more difficult to sign at the number the Wings want since he made $3.25 million a year ago. They’re hoping to get him at a modest raise.

And in a different blog entry, he spoke to Holland about Justin Schultz. Holland is not amused by the way in which Schultz and his agents are ensuring that their client is wined and dined, nut only by the teams that Schultz deems interesting enough to wine and dine him:

Wings GM Ken Holland at this to say about not getting a chance to meet with unrestricted free agent defenseman Justin Schultz, “When he chose to not sign with Anaheim there were 29 other teams that he could have played for. I didn’t think all 29 teams would get an audience. I don’t know what his priorities are, but we weren’t on that list.”

Schultz reportedly has narrowed his list of teams he will meet with to Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa and the New York Rangers.

Finally, yes, I have a sinus bug, and no, I don’t know if I’ll be back tomorrow or not, but I am feeling majorly, majorly guilty for taking the last day and a half off. I’m really sorry about this but I’ve gotta try and rest guilt-free for a little while.

Update: Via RedWingsFeed, MLive’s Ansar Khan confirms:

Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland had a couple of conversations this week with Hudler’s agent, Petr Svoboda, but they remain far apart in money.

“It looks like he’s going to July 1,’’ Holland said on Thursday.

The Red Wings are hesitant to pay Hudler much more than $3.2 million per season. He earned $2.875 million in 2011-12, when he scored a career-high 25 goals and had 50 points.

Scoring is at a premium in the NHL and the free-agent class is thin. Only two players – Zach Parise of New Jersey (31) and Teemu Selanne of Anaheim (26) – scored more goals among unrestricted free agents. And Selanne is certain to re-sign with the Ducks.

So there should be a considerable market for Hudler. Despite his lack of size (listed at 5-10, 186) and speed, Hudler has good finishing ability and goes to the net. On the open market, he could probably land a deal worth $4.5 million a season.

The Red Wings have ample salary-cap space – roughly $18 million after they re-sign restricted free agents Kyle Quincey and Justin Abdelkader later this summer and ink Swiss star Damien Brunner, possibly on Sunday. But much of that is set aside for an aggressive pursuit of premier free agents Ryan Suter and Zach Parise.

The Red Wings don’t want to disrupt their pay structure by slotting Hudler ahead of Johan Franzen, whose cap hit is $3.95 million. And they don’t want to pay him more than what they anticipate giving Valtteri Filppula on his next deal – he will enter the final year of his contract at $3.5 million.

Svoboda did not respond to phone messages.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

DO NOT FEEL GUILTY
DO NOT FEEL GUILTY
DO NOT FEEL GUILTY

We’ll tell you when you should feel guilty wink

Posted by Bugsy on 06/28/12 at 11:26 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

omg, George. Please rest up.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 06/28/12 at 11:33 PM ET

Rest up for this weekend; I hope it’s like the summer we signed a few future hall of famers a decade or so ago already.

Posted by 11B3PF7 in MN on 06/28/12 at 11:36 PM ET

We’ll yank your beard, George, when we think you’re slacking.  wink

Get some rest.  Get.  Gooooooooo…

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/28/12 at 11:37 PM ET

When Hudler officially signs with another team, then I will declare free agency a semi-success. Sign a top d-man and it becomes a celebration…addition by subtraction at its finest…

Posted by dca from in Mich on 06/28/12 at 11:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

KH has paid Huds the most backhanded compliments,  implying that, gosh, we’d love to bring him back, but golly, 25 goals, we don’t have the money he could get on free agency, regrettably.

in fact he’s saying, we have no intention of making him a serious offer because we don’t want him back.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/28/12 at 11:47 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

First off, rest up bro!  We’re going to need you firing on all cylinders come Saturday and Sunday.

Gotta say, I’m having a hard time believing that Holland and Meehan had no conversations in advance of Kenny’s public comments about pursuing Schultz.  Considering four of Meehan’s clients were on our payroll this past season (Bert, Ericsson, Abs, Quincey), it’s hard to believe that Holland wouldn’t have known what Schultz and Meehan’s ambitions for the last few months and every step along the past few weeks leading up to this weekend.

With that thought in mind, Holland being “not amused” certainly reads as good entertainment tonight.  Obviously if he doesn’t get Parise and Abs and Quincey are overpaid like one of Meehan’s other clients on the Wings payroll, I will be crabby about (to paraphrase Semanko) Meehan taking Holland for a few canoe rides over the past couple of off-seasons.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/29/12 at 12:13 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Schultz has added Wild to his 6 teams.  I guess one of his priorities is NOT winning the CUP.  Never played at a level higher than college and he is picky,  Maybe he thinks Minnesota is in Canada.

Aby and Quincey as RFAs can just be offered a 10% raise to keep their rights, I think??

Rest up for The Crazy SUNDAY George!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/29/12 at 12:31 AM ET

Posted by WingedRider on 06/28/12 at 10:31 PM ET

Now THAT’s friggin’ hilarious.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/29/12 at 12:38 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

well, minnesota is like canada….........just better beer.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 06/29/12 at 12:47 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

“well, minnesota is like canada….........just better beer”

More Alcohol and less trips into bush is better Beer, Eh?  LOL

But I am in Canada and prefer Miller, go figure?

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/29/12 at 12:52 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Here’s what I think we’re reading:

1. First and foremost, Ken Holland is a proud GM, and the concept that he would have to tell some 22-year-old kid that he’d both give him an offer of $3.8 million AND a roster spot on a team that, as Babcock said on NHL Live, fully believes that its only purpose is to win Stanley Cups, and to have that kid say, “Thanks, but no thanks?” to the Wings’ program?

That’s gonna piss anybody off.

2. Meehan is a frickin’ genius agent, but this kid has been told that his shit doesn’t stink and that he’s the best player outside the NHL for some time now, and this looks like a case of a young man in line for a $3.8 million payday wanting a promise of a full season on a team’s NHL roster and, very possibly, a guaranteed top-four spot, and the Wings won’t promise either to someone who hasn’t played a single pro game.

3. I am having a very hard time resting—as it turns out, even someone whose default anxiety response is, “ZOMG, go to bed and pull the covers over your head!” does not find that having to do so excessively is delightful at all…

And if it makes you feel any better, I get to go see my shrink on Friday, and as a client of the public health system, I get to visit my Community Mental Health office on the third 95-plus-degree day in a row. That’s always an adventure.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/29/12 at 01:18 AM ET

Cliff's avatar

Don Meehan has about 4 clients on every team.

Holland also helped Meehan get Nabokov get signed last year.

Posted by Cliff on 06/29/12 at 01:19 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

George
I can fully understand where you are at as I am somewhere? in that depression land.  Sleep when you shouldn’t and can’t sleep when you should.  I feel for you! Meds and Docs don’t really have a magic solution.

Apparently it gets better eventually!

Your analysis of Schultz, Meehan fiasco is right on.  Hopefully that (Meehan) won’t be an obstacle with Wings reloading, starting July 1st!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/29/12 at 01:30 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

This time around I really do just have a bad head cold. Fever, chills, body aches and pains, congestion, sore throat, no appetite, the usual.

Hell, that, “ZOMG, go to bed and pull the covers over your head” response…I get that several times a day. That’s just part of the anxiety-depression fandango. I can deal with that most of the time, and the rest is why I have a case manager and take medication.

This is just boogers. If you need to talk, send me an email, kvetch away.

And Meehan…Meehan drives a hard bargain, but he’s *generally* been somewhat fair, though he is most definitely the best and hardest-to-negotiate-with agent out there. He tends not to pull the Svoboda or Winter, “Let’s screw you over half a million bucks here, two million over a twelve-year-deal” kind of stuff.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/29/12 at 01:42 AM ET

Last time I remember a guy was so picky it was a Brunnstrom’s saga, and look where it landed him.

Posted by Alex on 06/29/12 at 01:54 AM ET

But I am in Canada and prefer Miller, go figure?

Why don’t you like beer?

Posted by Garth on 06/29/12 at 09:26 AM ET

Re: Hudler and even $3M/yr, I would rather have nyquist or tatar on e.l. contract.
Everything I’ve seen about Tatar it’s that he’s no offensive genius but his is a complete game with some scoring. This = instant win over Hudler in my book.

Posted by teldar on 06/29/12 at 09:53 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

But I am in Canada and prefer Miller, go figure?
Posted by WingedRider on 06/28/12 at 10:52 PM ET

Why don’t you like beer?

Posted by Garth on 06/29/12 at 07:26 AM ET

I’ve yet to figure oot why Canadians don’t drink good beer (think Founders, Bells, etc…). I shall ask a couple of my Canook friends to see if they can enlighten me…. I’m not holding my breath

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/29/12 at 10:14 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Same here; and why can’t I get a better beer in JLA.  Can you get a decent beer in any hockey venue?

m./

Posted by MoreShoot on 06/29/12 at 11:13 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Vladimir16 on 06/29/12 at 08:14 AM ET

I dunno aboat those Hosers, generally good and fun people, just have a slight need to trump up all things Canadian, understandably so what with the 350,000,000 cocky Americans and illegals just to their south.

Seriously though, Founders Double Trouble, Centennial IPA, and all of Bells masterful stuff just make most mass produced American beer undrinkable.  I’m sure I’ve had LaBlatts and Molson but they were quite unmemorable.  To be fair I should find some local Canadian craft brewers, not likely in Virginia, where I’m fortunate Bells and Founders do distribute.

I really need to nail down this 4-city Canadian swing this season, is it October?  What am I going to do, wait until I’m retired and arthritis spreads across the toes of both feet?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/29/12 at 11:28 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

m./
Posted by MoreShoot on 06/29/12 at 09:13 AM ET

That’s a darn good question.  I haven’t attended a great number of games, and more away from JLA than there.  I would guess teams or arena owners, in some cases maybe they’re the same, in other cases maybe a city or other entity owns it, I don’t know, enters into a contract with some catering or food service company and they in turn get the lowest cost, highest mark up beer they can.  Now if it was me, I’d contact Bells or Founders and try to work something out.  If someone still wanted piss you could offer Budweiser.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/29/12 at 11:41 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

m./
Posted by MoreShoot on 06/29/12 at 09:13 AM ET

The answer to your question is: NO!... and that makes Vlad sad. And when Vlad is sad he kicks puppies. And when Vlad kicks puppies the puppies are sad. And when the puppies are sad….

(No puppies were harmed or kicked. I was just foolin’ about)

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/29/12 at 11:52 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Well, for baseball fans, I shall put in a plug for the ballpark in Cleveland (I think it’s corporate moniker now is Progressive Field).  They have a Beers of the World stand with a lively selection of lovely microbrews—including several from the local Great Lakes brewery—that actually make the game more fun.  If you are looking for a place to see the Tigers on the road, keep that in mind.

Posted by MoreShoot on 06/29/12 at 11:57 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Baseball does seem to have more variety. Comerica has a couple vendors with Detroit beers on tap. Safeco in Seattle probably sells more local stuff than they do the big batch domestics. JLA certainly needs a tap upgrade. Hopefully New Olympia will do better.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 06/29/12 at 12:07 PM ET

thethirdcoast's avatar

I’m incredibly excited because the corner store 5 minutes from me suddenly has 4 types of Founder’s in their fridge. I’m finding the Dry Hopped Pale Ale tremendous.

On the other hand, when it comes to mass market brews, Labatt and Molson are like the nectar of the gods compared to Bud Light and Coors.

Posted by thethirdcoast from Algiers, DZ on 06/29/12 at 01:02 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Geez I started something with the Beer thing, I actually prefer Rum over beer. Sporting events up here have crappy beer also.  ONE BIG THING we don’t have is THE RED WINGS.  I would drink anything to be able to see them in person..well almost anything!

Still wondering what Nucks are going to do with 2 Goalies signed near $10 M, Good Luck dumping Lou!

Aby is starting to piss me off, he is not worth Helm , yet.

Holland will be active on Sunday and after!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/29/12 at 01:05 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Aby is starting to piss me off, he is not worth Helm , yet.

And he never will be.

Posted by MoreShoot on 06/29/12 at 01:10 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by RWBill from missing the Tiki Bar at The Shores, Daytona Beach. on 06/29/12 at 09:28 AM ET

Where ya headed?  If you wait ‘til next April and are headed to Toronto, you should get in on this:  http://caskdays.com/ipachallenge

They are miles behind where states like Michigan are and their current provincial laws suck with regards to sales; it’s impossible to get a great craft from NB in Ontario at any Beer Store or ICBO, for example.

Having a solid distribution business in the great white north should be a cash-cow in the years ahead when those walls come down.  The demand is certainly there.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/29/12 at 01:47 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/28/12 at 11:18 PM ET

Appreciate your perspective on Meehan, thanks.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/29/12 at 01:48 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Aby is starting to piss me off, he is not worth Helm , yet.

Well that’s handy, because under $2M is not worth $2.125M, yet.

And he it never will be.

Posted by MoreShoot on 06/29/12 at 11:10 AM ET

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/29/12 at 01:55 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I would drink anything to be able to see them in person..well almost anything!

Good thing you added that addendum to your comment.  Be very careful with this group… LOL

Posted by calquake on 06/29/12 at 02:13 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well I was thinking of going on the road trip to Western Canada.
Looking at the dates they’re very spread out, for a change, instead of 4 games in 6 nights as they usually do. They do play at home the night before vs Sharks.

Saturday Winnipeg

Tuesday Vancouver

Thursday Calgary

Saturday Edmonton

That would allow at least one extra day in each city, which doesn’t often happen.  As I’ve never been in any of those cities that is cool.

Someday I need to get to the Toronto game too.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/29/12 at 02:53 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 06/29/12 at 09:57 AM ET

Good tip on the Cleveland stadium.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/29/12 at 02:54 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Geez I started something with the Beer thing
Posted by WingedRider on 06/29/12 at 11:05 AM ET

That should not come as a surprise!

Wings on a losing streak.
Wings on a losing streak

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/29/12 at 03:05 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I would drink anything to be able to see them in person..well almost anything!

Posted by calquake on 06/29/12 at 12:13 PM ET

Says the guy warning me about brown acid!

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/29/12 at 03:07 PM ET

Posted by RWBill from missing the Tiki Bar at The Shores, Daytona Beach. on 06/29/12 at 01:05 PM ET

And that’s just the beginning…

I still have a headache looking at that.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/29/12 at 03:07 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

This is a real thing??!!!!?  In my dreams!! And in my kitchen!

“Single elimination, four round IPA challenge”

If you wait ‘til next April and are headed to Toronto, you should get in on this:  http://caskdays.com/ipachallenge

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/29/12 at 11:47 AM ET

And it’s a 19+ Event !!!  Of course!

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/29/12 at 03:16 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

I see lots of Torpedos and Ranges in there, tasty.

Are you really in FLA?  Gotta get some Cigar City Jai Lai in your next pile pic.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/29/12 at 03:16 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by RWBill from missing the Tiki Bar at The Shores, Daytona Beach. on 06/29/12 at 01:16 PM ET

You bet.  Haven’t been yet but hear it’s a doosey.  Yet another sign of Ontario’s slow craft adoption but a festival that appears to have some legs (it’s attendance rate has skyrocketed) and will likely be around for a while.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/29/12 at 03:19 PM ET