The Malik Report

Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom will return to Wings, signs 1-year deal at $6.2 million

Updated 5x w/ press release—ESPN’s LeBrun says Lidstrom signed for $6.2 million: Per DetroitRedWings.com’s Bill Roose, Gunnar Nordstrom was right in suggesting that Nicklas Lidstrom will return to the Red Wings for at least one more season:

The Red Wings got their man when legendary defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom told team officials last week that he will return for a 20th NHL season.

Terms of Lidstrom’s one-year contract were not finalized before today when the 41-year-old captain and general manager Ken Holland got together in Las Vegas. The Wings’ pair is in Vegas for Wednesday’s NHL Award Show, where Lidstrom will learn if he won Norris Trophy for the seventh time in his career. He is also a finalist for the Lady Byng Trophy and the Mark Messier Leadership Award.

Continued...

Update: According to the Wings’ Twitter account, the Wings will make things official via an 11 AM news conference; the Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness and MLive’s Ansar Khan, who says that the WIngs are still talking to Jonathan Ericsson and plan on bringing Brendan Smith up in a Jakub Kindl-like role; via RedWIngsFeed, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun confirms that Lidstrom told Holland on Sunday, and the AP’s Larry Lage confirms as well.

Update #2: The Detroit News’s Ted Kulfan and Fox Sports Detroit’s Dana Wakiji confirm.

Update #3: Via RedWingsFeed, the Sporting News’s Craig Custance and the Free Press’s George Sipple also confirm.

Update #4: ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun says Lidstrom signed for his 2010-2011 salary of $6.2 million.

Update #5: Here’s the official press release:

RED WINGS AND CAPTAIN NICKLAS LIDSTROM AGREE TO TERMS ON ONE-YEAR DEAL

...Six-Time Norris Trophy Winner Returns For 20th Season…

Detroit, MI… Detroit Red Wings General Manager Ken Holland announced today that the club has agreed to terms with defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom on a one-year contract.  In accordance with team policy, additional terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Lidstrom, 41, will return for his 20th season in Hockeytown.  He was Detroit ’s third-round pick (53rd overall) in the 1989 National Hockey League Entry Draft.  The Vasteras, Sweden, native has won the Norris Trophy as the NHL’s top defenseman six times during his career (2001, ’02, ’03, ’06, ’07, ’08).  He is the first European-born captain to lead his team to a Stanley Cup championship (2008) and the first European-born player to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoffs MVP (2002).  Lidstrom is a four-time Stanley Cup champion (1997, ‘98, 2002, ‘08), holds Detroit’s single-season records for assists (64) and points (80) by a defenseman, ranks fourth in franchise history in games played (1,494) and points (1,108), and has the highest plus-minus rating (+429) since 1991-92, his first year in the NHL.  He was named the NHL’s player of the decade (2000-09) by both the Sporting News and SportsIllustrated.com.

“We’re thrilled that Nick has decided to come back and play another year.  He’s coming off an outstanding season and in my opinion, even at age 41, continues to be the top two-way defenseman in the world,” said Holland .

In 2010-11, Lidstrom finished second among NHL defensemen with 62 points (16-46-62) and was one of only two Red Wings to appear in all 82 games.  He is a finalist for the Norris Trophy as the NHL’s top defenseman for the 11th time in the last 13 seasons.  Should Lidstrom win the Norris, he would tie Doug Harvey for second-most all-time with seven and trail only the legendary Bobby Orr (8).

Lidstrom currently ranks second all-time with 258 career postseason games played (Chris Chelios – 266) and is second all-time among defenseman with 183 playoff points (Paul Coffey – 196).  His 54 postseason goals rank him third all-time among NHL blue-liners.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

YESSSSS.

Posted by godblender on 06/20/11 at 12:13 PM ET

Actually, FU*K YESSSSSSSSSS.

Posted by godblender on 06/20/11 at 12:14 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Fantastic!
More opportunities to watch this guy play his understated, dominating style of defense, and more time to teach Ericsson, Kindle and Smith how to do it.

Posted by w2j2 on 06/20/11 at 12:15 PM ET

Wow I was really worried about this one.  This I think may be the last year we see of this incredible athlete.

Now we are ready for another run!!!!

Posted by Ryan Reeves from Southlake Texas on 06/20/11 at 12:15 PM ET

In the words of my nephew: YOUPPI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Meg on 06/20/11 at 12:16 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Thank goodness… I’m safe to handle sharp objects again.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/20/11 at 12:23 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Fuch yeah.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/20/11 at 12:26 PM ET

Wings fans can now all unclench and relax.

Posted by JP on 06/20/11 at 12:28 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

So, how much do you think he signs for?

I’m guessing $6 million on the nose.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/20/11 at 12:28 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

Great News… Now all they need to do is wrap up Eaves and Miller… then on to Free Agents

Posted by tkfergy on 06/20/11 at 12:34 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

Best news of the month:)

Posted by detroitredwings on 06/20/11 at 12:36 PM ET

Sunday's avatar

Yee and likewise ha!  Any sustained gusts of wind across the Lower 48 are from Red Wings Faithful exhaling in relief.

Posted by Sunday from somewhere else on 06/20/11 at 12:40 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Glory glory hallelujah

Now bring me Wisnieski or Piktanen.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 06/20/11 at 12:44 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

ESPN’s LeBrun says it’s the same salary as last year, $6.2 million. Very fair.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/20/11 at 12:53 PM ET

Jordan_NOHS's avatar

CapGeek already has 6.2 penciled in as well

Posted by Jordan_NOHS from Detroit, MI on 06/20/11 at 12:59 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

I think that’s a very fair salary…

Posted by tkfergy on 06/20/11 at 01:00 PM ET

Phew.

Posted by Herm from the office on 06/20/11 at 01:00 PM ET

I’ll take that serving of Lidstrom with a side of Jagr for $2M, please.

Posted by vfsvfl from FL on 06/20/11 at 01:02 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

so there is 16 mil to sign 3 defensemen 2 if smith comes up, and 2 possibly 3 forward and a back-up goalie.

Posted by tkfergy on 06/20/11 at 01:04 PM ET

11B4PF7 in MN's avatar

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now go get a physical shutdown defenseman to partner with him.

Posted by 11B4PF7 in MN on 06/20/11 at 01:15 PM ET

perfection's avatar

amazing. this not only makes us instant contenders once again, but I think it forever changes the trajectory of Brendan Smith’s career. Practicing side by side with Lidstrom for an entire season is the kind of schooling NO other team can provide. This is beyond huge.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 06/20/11 at 01:20 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Whew.  Most excellent adventure.

I believe he is more likely to win the Byng than the Norris, but Both are meaningless compared to having him back for at least one more year.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/20/11 at 01:31 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

My pants just started to feel tight in the crotch.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/20/11 at 01:42 PM ET

11B4PF7 in MN's avatar

Posted by perfection from Chicago on 06/20/11 at 11:20 AM ET

Good post.

Lidstrom, Kronwall, #3, Stuart, #5, Kindl, and Smith.  There it is.  Looks way better today than it did yesterday!!  Anxious to see how this gets filled out.

Posted by 11B4PF7 in MN on 06/20/11 at 01:42 PM ET

he couldn’t even take a $1 mil pay cut? uncharacteristically selfish. guess he doesn’t want to win another cup that badly.

Posted by jmb on 06/20/11 at 01:44 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by jmb on 06/20/11 at 11:44 AM ET

I wouldn’t call it selfish, he’s worth every penny.

I’m glad he’s coming back.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 06/20/11 at 01:48 PM ET

Who says we don’t get pitkanen & weisnewski & a top six forward. Only if Holland is smart enough 2 dump hudler or use him 2 get nabakov. Bye bye hudler (2.9 m) Osgood (1.5 m) drapper (1.6 m) salie (1.1 m) modano (1.8 m) Ericsson (1.2 m) rafalski (6 m) …… about 16 million to sign Miller (1-1.5 m) eaves (1-1.5 m) Nabokov (570,000$) weisnewski (4-4.5 m) pitkanen (4-4.5 m) and jussi jokinen (3-3.5 m). plus caps going up.

Posted by diesel44 on 06/20/11 at 01:50 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

All news early on a Monday.

Just goes to show how much Nick and Kenny love Red Wings fans.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/20/11 at 01:50 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

...and there was much rejoicing.

Breathe in…breathe out…

So, now what, Kenny?

Tick Tock.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/20/11 at 01:55 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

Only if Holland is smart enough 2 dump hudler or use him 2 get nabakov.

I said the same thing the other day… But I had more people being traded… Although I’m not quite sure if Nabakov is still in NHL form.. He was 8-8-5 SKA and him and the team agreed to terminate the contract

Posted by tkfergy on 06/20/11 at 01:59 PM ET

Lucce's avatar

Excellent, when is october coming?

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 06/20/11 at 02:00 PM ET

the more i think about this the more angry i’m getting.  i love Lidstrom as much as the next guy but c’mon.  5 million isn’t good enough? does he not want to improve this slightly above average hockey team? i understand he’s still one of the better defenseman in the game and i wouldn’t expect him to play for what Yzerman did at the end of his career but let’s get real.  he’s 41 and not as good defensively as he once was.

Thanks, Nick…

Posted by jmb on 06/20/11 at 02:02 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by jmb on 06/20/11 at 12:02 PM ET

Shut. Up.

Posted by SK77 on 06/20/11 at 02:05 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I don’t want Jussi Jokinen and I’m not sure the Islanders will do a straight-up trade Hudler for Nabokov, but I definitely wouldn’t mind the rest of those things

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/20/11 at 02:05 PM ET

Posted by jmb on 06/20/11 at 12:02 PM ET

Shut.  The f*ck.  Up.

He could’ve (and would not have been wrong) asked for $8+ million, considering the type of paydays ZERO-time Norris winners Drew Doughty and Shea Weber will be getting this year.

Don’t complain, be thankful that he’s suiting up for another year.  Cripes.

Posted by Garth on 06/20/11 at 02:11 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Not to be one to lecture people on feeding trolls, since I’m more guilty than anybody, but when it’s this painfully obvious that a guy’s just trolling, there’s really no point in responding.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/20/11 at 02:16 PM ET

whos a top six forward everyone wants on the team? laich? richards? with the cap going up an un-expected 5 million… I think anyone is possible now - I dont know why, I just like jussi jokinen.

Posted by diesel44 on 06/20/11 at 02:26 PM ET

Zaze's avatar

He wants another cup.  Love it.

Posted by Zaze on 06/20/11 at 02:26 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by diesel44 on 06/20/11 at 12:26 PM ET

There’s been lots of talk of Laich around here.  I li..errr… approve of Laich, but I’d personally rather have Fleischmann in that spending tier.  If the Wings could magically get Brad Richards to sign a one-year deal that’s cap friendly, I’d throw firecrackers at cop cars out of sheer joy, but I don’t see that realistically happening.

I also like Erik Cole, but he’s probably among the least offensively-gifted of the guys who are in the running for the spot.  I just don’t like Jussi Jokinen.  Seems it’s just as hard for me to explain that as well.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/20/11 at 02:32 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Ohhh - - thank you sweet baby jesus!

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 06/20/11 at 02:34 PM ET