The Malik Report

Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom keeps skating among the ‘elite elite’

Yahoo Sports’ Nicholas J. Cotsonika wrote a phenomenal article about Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom that’s so good that, well, we ought to start at its beginning and go from there:

The calendar is about to flip to 2012, but when it comes to Nicklas Lidstrom, the Detroit Red Wings are already thinking ahead to 2013.

Lidstrom is 41. He is playing on his second straight one-year, $6.2 million contract. He will turn 42 on April 28, and he will evaluate his future after the Wings’ season ends, not before. His teammates respect that. But they can’t help themselves. They see how Lidstrom’s greatness remains undiminished, making him a candidate to catch Bobby Orr in the record book and win his eighth Norris Trophy as the NHL’s best defenseman. They seize every opportunity to tease their captain about coming back in 2012-13.

Take Tuesday night. With the Wings facing a 2-0 deficit, Lidstrom scored to spark a 3-2 comeback victory over the St. Louis Blues. That gave him eight goals this season, tying him for second among NHL defensemen. That gave him 1,131 points in his career, moving him into the top 50 NHL scorers of all-time.

“It’s good … for next year,” said teammate Henrik Zetterberg with a smile and without prompting. “You always think for next year.”

Continued, and the article’s really, really, really worth your time…

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

“I do little things in every game that I think, you’re looking back, you think you could have done a few things differently, make different decisions with the puck,” Lidstrom said. “I think that that happens all the time.”

Most cerebral player in the game.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 12/30/11 at 08:06 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Great pick-up George, thanks for the heads up.

I don’t even want to think about next season right now.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 12/30/11 at 09:09 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

The. Perfect. Human.

And he’s a Red Wing.  How lucky we are.

Thanks, George!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 12/30/11 at 09:15 PM ET

Posted by Guerin'sBackcheck on 12/30/11 at 09:25 PM ET

[/\quote]I don’t know which one of you came up with “The Perfect One”, but I’d say it stands a good chance of catching on (considering some of the nicknames that have).  Most players have at least one weakness in their game.

Posted by Guerin’sBackcheck on 12/30/11 at 07:25 PM ET

Coach Babcock.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 12/30/11 at 09:27 PM ET