The Malik Report

Red Wings believe they can play playoff-caliber hockey on Sunday

Updated 2x at 4:34 Blackhawks news, Axelsson talk and a Babcock interview posted in retrospect: Before hopping on Red Bird II for a short flight to Chicago, the Red Wings engaged in a short practice at Joe Louis Arena, and MLive’s Ansar Khan reports that the Wings, who need a little help from the Phoenix Coyotes to earn second place in the Western Conference, insisted that there’s at least desperation and urgency to be answered stride for stride during tomorrow’s game against Chicago (12:30 PM EDT, NBC):

“That’s something we have to play for, potentially keeping them out of the postseason,’’ Detroit’s Brad Stuart said after Saturday’s practice. “They’re a big rival with us, it’s going to be a big crowd, should be an exciting game. All those things combined we should have no problem getting up for the game.’‘
....
“The atmosphere is going to be like a playoff game,’’ [Kris] Draper said. “And that’s fun and we have to respond to that and try to create a little momentum and take it into the playoffs.’‘

Coach Mike Babcock called it a Game 7 for the Blackhawks.

“The last three times we played them, including tomorrow, their life’s on the line and they played like it,’’ Babcock said. “Last game we made three mistakes in the first 10 minutes and the game was over, so we didn’t give ourselves a fighting chance.’‘
...
“I expected us to play last night, though, I really did,’’ Babcock said. “Obviously, disappointed would be the best word I could use about last night.’‘

Khan reports that Danny Cleary didn’t practice for Detroit, but Babcock suggested that Cleary simply didn’t feel well and would play tomorrow, and it shouldn’t come as a surprise to hear that Chris Osgood (groin) and Niklas Kronwall (“upper body”) remained in Detroit—though Khan says Kronwall actually practiced, which is good to hear. As for Zetterberg?

Update: As noted by the Red Wings’ official Twitter account, Jimmy Howard will start on Sunday;

• The Wings also want to remind us that their viral video campaign is still underway;

• Today’s “Twenty Straight” playoff moment involves Steve Yzerman’s return from an osteotomy;

• The Chicago Tribune’s Chris Kuc reports that David Bolland (concussion) practiced on Saturday but won’t play on Sunday, and Patrick Sharp (knee) and Tomas Kopecky (ear) skipped practice but will play on Sunday. The Sun-Times’ Adam L. Jahns and NHL.com’s Dan Rosen confirm Bolland’s status, as does Comcast Sportsnet Chicago’s Tracey Myers, who reports that the Hawks are well aware of the fact that they’ve got to earn at least a point on Sunday to stave off any point production by the Dallas Stars and make the playoffs:

“Everything’s at stake for tomorrow’s game,” Joel Quenneville said after Saturday’s practice. “I don’t know how many times we’ve said that statement all year, but tomorrow it really is.”

If the Blackhawks want to get that one point – or two, which would actually be more to their liking – they’re going to have to bring the same dominant game they had in their 4-2 victory in Detroit on Friday night. The Blackhawks were stellar; as Brian Campbell said, they recognized the situation at hand. Rinse and repeat.

“It’s the biggest game. (Friday) was the biggest before that, and the one before that. It’s been that way for a while,” Campbell said. “We’re still in the same situation. It’s probably going to be a playoff atmosphere so we’ll be ready to go.”
...
“We need one point and we’re looking for two. Detroit’s going to want to come in and burst our bubble,” Bryan Bickell said. “We could come in (fifth) if other things happen. We want to get a win and not have to worry about Dallas.”

Ah yes, Dallas. The Stars are two points behind Chicago and play in Minnesota later on Sunday. The Blackhawks don’t want to leave the United Center on Sunday afternoon and have to hope, wish and pray that the Wild help them out.
...
“Our goal and focus all year was to get in. We’ve been targeting it all year and it’s been a major battle for us,” Quenneville said. “But we’ve still put ourselves in a position where we have control, so let’s get excited.”

Two points for you if you find it somewhat ironic that CSN Chicago hired Myers after the Fort Worth Star-Telegram folded.

• In Sweden, Farjestads BK rebounded against AIK Skelleftea,

evening their championship series at 1-1

[make that took a 2-1 series lead] via a 5-3 victory. Dick Axelsson registered assists on FBK’s 3-0 and 4-0 goals (then Farjestads held on). Axelsson didn’t play in the third period, and he claimed that he suffered a minor injury [while checking Mikko Lehtonen] that won’t keep him out of Game 3 while speaking to Aftonbladet’s Emil Karlsson, who says that Axelsson spent the game engaged in a verbal jousting match with Skelleftea goalie Andreas Hadelov.

Update #2: Quite interesting: Mike Babcock spoke to WCSX’s Ken Calvert and Jamie Samuelssen on Wednesday morning, and it’s…Telling.

Download file.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MsRedWinger's avatar

”..we should have no problem getting up for the game.”

Wonderful.  Now go out there and DO IT!

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

(And GO BLUE tonight!)

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/09/11 at 04:41 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

we made three mistakes in the first 10 minutes and the game was over

fixt: we made tons of mistakes in the first 10 minutes, and three of them ended up in our net.

I hope statements like this aren’t an indication that the players and coaches don’t actually realize HOW poorly they are playing.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/09/11 at 04:51 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

“I’m sure that the truth is out there somewhere regarding what we’ll politely call the “Z Files,” but right now Zetterberg’s status is above top secret.”

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/09/11 at 05:08 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Red Wings believe they can play playoff-caliber hockey on Sunday

I still believe in Santa Claus too.  I suppose that calls into question the sanity of both parties, doesn’t it?

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/09/11 at 05:28 PM ET

Neznarf's avatar

yup I’ll believe it when I see it.  Babcock is getting awfully repetitive and it’s starting to get old.

Posted by Neznarf on 04/09/11 at 05:37 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

We will win…LGRW   LGRW…BELIEVE !!!!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/09/11 at 05:45 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Red Wings believe they can play playoff-caliber hockey on Sunday

Look, there’s Nessie!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/09/11 at 05:59 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

This team is so bad, it’s astonishing.  I told my buddy last night that if the Wings get swept out in the 1st round I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised, and I still stand by that.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 04/09/11 at 06:20 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

This team is so bad, it’s astonishing.

Astonishing…

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/09/11 at 06:43 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks for the link to that radio interview, George.  It was really interesting.  Notable that Babcock mentioned Helm, Abby, Kindl (“he’s improved more in one season than any player I’ve ever seen”) and Howard.  As many of the 19 have noted today, these young guys have provided the energy and determination we have missed from some of our veterans and I expect them to factor huge in the playoffs.

Lots of interesting stuff about parity, the Western Conference and players from GR.  I recommend that everyone give this a listen.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/09/11 at 07:00 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Red Wings believe they can play playoff-calibre hockey on Sunday…

We all believe you can, Wings. We just don’t think you will.

But then again, who knows. We all thought they were first-round fodder in 2009, hopefully history almost repeats itself. Almost, just change the outcome of that last game seven.

LET’S GO RED WINGS (exclamation point)

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/09/11 at 07:38 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Go Blue!!!

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/09/11 at 08:06 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Babcock is getting awfully repetitive and it’s starting to get old.

And I get the feeling the players are having the same reaction to Babs’ “observations” as we are. That’s when the captain has to step in and make sure everyone is committed to the same goal. And I have absolutely no faith in Nick being able to do that.

But we’ll see. As strange as it may seem, I think tomorrow’s game may be the defining moment for the 2010-2011 Red Wings. If they play a strong game, they may be able to right the ship in time for the playoffs. If they play the way they have for the past two months, they can start making their tee times for two weeks from now.

If I was a betting man, it sickens me to say that I’d be betting on the latter right now. I hope they prove me wrong.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/09/11 at 08:28 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

1-0 Meeeeech-i-gan

5:23 to go in the 1st

Go Blue!!!

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/09/11 at 08:39 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

1- zip, U-of-M after 1

i like it

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/09/11 at 08:47 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

MsRedWinger some genius comments from Babs, repetitiousness included.

And while we’re talking about playoff disinformation, prepare for a new The Malik Report-copyrighted term:

F-I-I-K, or “FIIK.” Pronounced like the German “ficken,” which means you know what. FIIK = “[BLEEP] if I know!” and I’m going to use it regarding injury information that I don’t know about.

For example, prior to tonight’s Leafs-Habs game, Jeff Marek and Scotty Morrison reported that Zetterberg’s knee injury (it’s his knee, they said) was significant enough that he’s doubtful for the first few games of the first round.

The truth? FIIK!

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/09/11 at 08:51 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/09/11 at 07:51 PM ET

GJM - i took the liberty of sharing this at A2Y
we’re LBing the Michigan game there

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/09/11 at 09:01 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

great effort by Michigan

always,

GO BLUE!

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/09/11 at 11:27 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

‘yotes and shats just getting started

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/09/11 at 11:33 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Red Wings believe they can play playoff-caliber hockey on Sunday

What the heck…I believe I will fire up the Rum & Coke machine and see if they deliver.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 04/10/11 at 02:28 AM ET